Home

How is NBA Elite supposed to get better?

This is a discussion on How is NBA Elite supposed to get better? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
How is NBA Elite supposed to get better?

in reading WTF's blog post about the 3-year plan [gimmick] common with EA basketball titles, i noticed a quote in there (presumably from a dev) stating this: "Visuals WILL become a focus as this game progresses."

sounds great to me. but after all of the excuses suggesting that in order to get the level of control we have in 11, the visuals must be downgraded, i can't help but wonder how this game is supposed to move forward without taking a step back?

if control comes at the expense of visuals, what are you gonna do once its go-time for the graphics? are you gonna make the control crappier? something's gotta give, right? apparently we can't even have at least Live 10 caliber graphics (which i didn't like much) in conjunction with RTP, so how much better is it gonna get without stripping away the current gimmick (RTP)? and if we CAN, in fact, have at least Live 10 graphics in combination with RTP, it begs the question of why we don't this year?

personally, i wouldnt mind seeing some good balance at the expense of control (ie. the other game), but if that happens, then it means a lot of consumers are simply being had this year on yet another feature that will eventually be scrapped or scaled down. i have a strange feeling that at the end of this 3-year plan, we'll basically be back at Live 10's level. or at best - what "Live 11" should have been
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23
Re: How is NBA Elite supposed to get better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
in reading WTF's blog post about the 3-year plan [gimmick] common with EA basketball titles, i noticed a quote in there (presumably from a dev) stating this: "Visuals WILL become a focus as this game progresses."

sounds great to me. but after all of the excuses suggesting that in order to get the level of control we have in 11, the visuals must be downgraded, i can't help but wonder how this game is supposed to move forward without taking a step back?

if control comes at the expense of visuals, what are you gonna do once its go-time for the graphics? are you gonna make the control crappier? something's gotta give, right? apparently we can't even have at least Live 10 caliber graphics (which i didn't like much) in conjunction with RTP, so how much better is it gonna get without stripping away the current gimmick (RTP)? and if we CAN, in fact, have at least Live 10 graphics in combination with RTP, it begs the question of why we don't this year?

personally, i wouldnt mind seeing some good balance at the expense of control (ie. the other game), but if that happens, then it means a lot of consumers are simply being had this year on yet another feature that will eventually be scrapped or scaled down. i have a strange feeling that at the end of this 3-year plan, we'll basically be back at Live 10's level. or at best - what "Live 11" should have been
We won't be scrapping the level of control you get in Elite. That's here to stay and it will be what people like most about our gameplay this year.

Graphics are not affected in any way by the physics engine in Elite. The animation visual quality is, but not graphics.

There are a lot of things we can do to try and improve the visual quality. But none of it is trivial and it's way too early to know for sure what we're going to do or not do.

We're also looking to get feedback on the demo and initial impressions of the final product before committing to specifics.

However, if you have a specific question about how a specific aspect of the game could be improved I'd be happy to have the discussion.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrince22

I honesty think this should've been a post in WTF's thread honestly....

On to the subject however, I mean what concerns me is that..ya know developers most of the time had groups ...a group that works on gameplay and one that works within the graphics department. Were there not enough people working on the game in the graphics department?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 7

i honestly think everything in this forum could honestly all be in the same thread honestly. but honestly, it's not.

reAnimator:

i'm curious as to how smoothly animations or some other sort of technology to replicate more realistic movements can be integrated into the RTP system. if at all

i'm also curious as to how RTP will evolve. are there any plans to build on it, or is phase 2 simply gonna zero in on something entirely different? i can see some dynamic stuff happening in the game, but it never panned out to be the Backbreaker type of experience i had in mind when the news first dropped. like, if you even sneeze on a guy, the whole course of reality is changed. particularly, stuff like dunkers being unaffected by contact while the defender is bothers me.

i'm sure it's too early for these concerns to be addressed entirely right now, but they'll be on my mind going forward
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Banned

ThaLiveKing's Arena

OVR: 3

Elite is supposed to be the better game, so asking how is Elite supposed to get better, is an understatement!!!

The only problem I have with the Elite videos is some animations, and sound effects, they need to change that dunk Sound and add more/better rebounding animations. the ones from last year weren't that bad, I don't see why they had to change it. A lot of stuff from last years game could have stayed in this years game. I guess I'll wait for the demo to drop, hopefully it gets released soon and not a week before the game drops
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

I love how all the haters are out in full force. The disguises are now off apparently.

Last edited by ParisB; 09-07-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Banned

ThaLiveKing's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm far from a ***** Then again people that are open minded tend to be called HATERS lol
Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
We won't be scrapping the level of control you get in Elite. That's here to stay and it will be what people like most about our gameplay this year.

Graphics are not affected in any way by the physics engine in Elite. The animation visual quality is, but not graphics.

There are a lot of things we can do to try and improve the visual quality. But none of it is trivial and it's way too early to know for sure what we're going to do or not do.

We're also looking to get feedback on the demo and initial impressions of the final product before committing to specifics.

However, if you have a specific question about how a specific aspect of the game could be improved I'd be happy to have the discussion.

can you expand on animations, because this is a major problem i have had with every version of live on 360, even at the peak of graphics.

as soon as you got out of the hangar and saw 5on5 animations, they looked horrible, every yr. are you saying with rtp , they will stay worse?

what is the 3 yr plan going to do about animations?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »