Home

Any Concerns EA Will Seek Exclusive License?

This is a discussion on Any Concerns EA Will Seek Exclusive License? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Any Concerns EA Will Seek Exclusive License?

Just wondering. When they couldn't compete with 2K in college basketball, it was rumored they entered into a pseudo-exclusive deal with the NCAA. When 2K was catching up and even surpassing them in some people's opinions in football, they got the NFL license.

Does anyone fear that if they realize it'll be too much effort to compete, they'll just buy the exclusive license and get rid of the competition?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but we've lost a lot of good games over the years thanks to exclusive deals in football, baseball, and college basketball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Any Concerns EA Will Seek Exclusive License?

the nba won't allow it. they lose money over exclusivity. stern and co. said no nba game has the status of a madden, etc. since none have that, no need to lock up license
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
Just wondering. When they couldn't compete with 2K in college basketball, it was rumored they entered into a pseudo-exclusive deal with the NCAA. When 2K was catching up and even surpassing them in some people's opinions in football, they got the NFL license.

Does anyone fear that if they realize it'll be too much effort to compete, they'll just buy the exclusive license and get rid of the competition?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but we've lost a lot of good games over the years thanks to exclusive deals in football, baseball, and college basketball.
You have this all wrong. Normally I stay away from threads like this but there needs to be some clarification here.

EA did NOT pry away the college basketball license from 2K. The NCAA raised the price of the license and 2K chose not to pay it while EA did. EA continued to move forward making games while 2K chose not to.

I just wanted to clear that up because the information that EA stole the license is completely wrong.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Pro

HoosierDaddy's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflash83
You have this all wrong. Normally I stay away from threads like this but there needs to be some clarification here.

EA did NOT pry away the college basketball license from 2K. The NCAA raised the price of the license and 2K chose not to pay it while EA did. EA continued to move forward making games while 2K chose not to.

I just wanted to clear that up because the information that EA stole the license is completely wrong.
Thanks for the clearing that up Yaw!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

thank you blackflash83 for clearing that up cause i thought EA stole the license.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
the nba won't allow it. they lose money over exclusivity. stern and co. said no nba game has the status of a madden, etc. since none have that, no need to lock up license
thank goodness for the NBA
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Pro

kwas676's Arena

OVR: 9

These a threads are so annoying, NBA said it wouldn't happen and think for moment why would they even sell it to the company that's struggling???
Old 09-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Not trying to question you, but it would still seem suspicious that the NCAA would price their product in such a way as to discourage potential customers. There were only two players involved [to my knowledge] and it would seem they would've had some inclination to what one or both would pay. It doesn't seem to make sense they'd risk pricing them both out and receive no revenue. Of course it could be that the NCAA just overvalues it's license also. Either way, given EA's current exclusives with NFL/NCAA football, FIFA, NASCAR (I guess NASCAR is no longer exclusive because it's in the new Gran Turismo game), etc. it's hard not to put NCAA basketball or potential NBA basketball exclusive past them

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »