Home

The 2015 New York Knicks: Year 1 of Life "After" Dolan

This is a discussion on The 2015 New York Knicks: Year 1 of Life "After" Dolan within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #33
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The 2015 New York Knicks: Year 1 of Life "After" Dolan

^^ We're keeping every possible penny available for this coming summer. That, and Larkin is a dime a dozen PG. He can be easily replaced.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #34
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropxEm
Knicks officially declined Larkin's 3rd+4th year option today. Something inside me says this might be a mistake. Not sure right now though.
He has done nothing to earn it. Just as Shump hasn't done anything to earn an extension.

You see who they did pick up an option on though.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #35
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

JR Smith for Chris Copeland?

Please don't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #36
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

That's a little much, I'd like to get more in return but if they can dump JR's contract for a guy who has an expiring this summer then you have to consider it.

The team has looked decent after three games but at best we're losing in the first round this year. Phil is looking big picture obviously and he's itching to get rid of JR.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #37
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

Summer of 2010.

Let's be clear, I do not like JR Smith. And I'm pissed Grunwald gave him of all people a Player Option.

But just because we have cap space doesn't mean big time players will flock here.

Melo re-signed here because we could pay him the most because we had his Bird rights. If the $$$ was even, there's no doubt I think he would've went to CHI or LAL.

So if we're stocking up for Gasol, Rondo, KD...I think we're making a huge mistake.

Mid-tier guys like Greg Monroe, yes...you have a shot at.

But this just makes me think we're gonna overpay some scrubs. It's our tradition..Phil or no Phil.

You don't save up cap space to not spend it.

What happens when KD inevitably stays in OKC?

We're gonna give a max contract to someone who isn't worth it.

JR is gonna win more games for us this year than he'll lose for us. And he'll have a bigger impact than Copeland who can't do anything other than shoot. Why did we get rid of Novak if that's the case?

Phil's pinching pennies if he makes this trade.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #38
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

I think it's a very different situation from 2010. We were an empty cupboard trying to attract two stars. Not to mention our front office and coaching situation was a mess. Overall it was not an attractive situation despite what most of us felt at the time.

Now we have already have a star, a better coach (yes, I'm saying it already - not that it's a bold statement since Pringles was dreadful) and a better front office assuming Dolan continues to keep his distance. Even if he doesn't, ridding the organization of its CAA imprisonment was a big step forward.

Anyway, JR needs to go regardless of it's this deal or another one. He's not a Fish/Phil type of player and no team is going to win with that fool playing a primary role. I don't care if he'll win us more games than Cope this year (which is obviously true). This season means nothing.

I have the same philosophy now that I did in 2010 - in the NBA you have to swing for the fences. You need multiple stars to win a title. You have to save up cap space and go for broke. If you swing for the fences and miss then so be it, in the long run you'll be in the same place that you would have been if you didn't. Bringing Greg Monroe here will accomplish nothing of value. Maybe get us a round or two further? It's pointless in the big picture.

Last edited by ehh; 11-04-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Just my prediction, but I don't think it matters, I think JR is opting out. Seems like the type of guy who would want to get a new long term deal asap, and IIRC we wanted to make next year guaranteed but he pushed for the player option. And even though his value is down, it's not like he's making so much money that opting out is a huge risk for him.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't look to trade him, but I'd rather wait and see if we could move him in a deal that gets us something of value back.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #40
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

I don't think JR. opts out seeing that we're going to have another lockout and player salaries will soar in the next CBA. He's in position for that.

The last FA market for him was zilch and he was coming off a Sixth Man award.

I wouldn't mind trading him either but not for a Chris Copeland.

At least we got fair value back for Tyson.

But salary dumping for a player that won't help us is assanine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »