Home

Is Heisman unplayable?

This is a discussion on Is Heisman unplayable? within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Rookie

DaNextPhenom25's Arena

OVR: 4
Is Heisman unplayable?

I really don't see a problem with Heisman other than super human LB's, lack of human running game, and not enough time in the pocket. Are sliders for making the game more realistic or eliminating those problems? Because I am tired of trying slider sets, and want to determine whether the game is pretty well rounded without changing the sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Is Heisman unplayable?

Heisman is very playable, but highly annoying at times.

I've only had 2 experiences with Heisman on this year's game.

1. Playing with lower rated teams, I'll end up having every single game determined in the 4th quarter in the last 2 possessions. The only exception is against FCS teams, who I can beat by 70 points easily. The CPU seems to just play to your level and all games are seemingly decided by which team gets the INT for TD or doesn't throw an INT in the red zone.

2. Playing with higher rated teams after recruiting, I'll usually end up blowing out teams I shouldn't be and having games end up a bit too close against teams I should be stomping a hole in. Speed destroys the game engine, so I'm starting a new dynasty with some recruiting house rules to make for a more realistic game.

Benefits of playing on Heisman with good sliders:

1. CPU can actually develop a running game against you.
2. You get the feeling that every possession is truly important and field position does matter.
3. Dynasty mode remains interesting longer.

Downside to playing on Heisman:

1. CPU automatically knows every playcall and audible somehow. Audible from a pass to a run and watch them load the box and go to a PA Pass and watch the coverage react without seeing any formation change. It's an absolute joke to me and takes the fun out of actually trying to develop a realistic strategy using coaching and playcalling.

2. CPU gameplay seems somewhat scripted. Without fail, you will get to points in the game where the CPU will run a play and no matter what you do with your stick skills the CPU will score. The HB will break 5 tackles, spin around every CPU controlled player you have, and then run right through your user tackle to run 80 yards. You get used to being practically cheated and just learn to accept it as the cheap counterbalance to the massive AI flaws that exist. The CPU will have 2 absurd runs for 70 yards and then average 2 yards per carry for the rest of the game.

3. OL/DL interaction. It seems the OL/DL interaction gets even worse on Heisman than All-American. You can pretty much just sit back and enjoy watching your entire DL get chop blocked and do backflips as soon as the ball gets hiked on every other passing play.

In other words, if you can sacrifice some of the sim "feel" for sim statistical results and a better challenge... then Heisman is clearly the way to go.

If you want more sim "feel", but no challenge and thus skewed statistics... then go to All-American.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

i think you will like it alot more. i actually run to well on heisman and can do it out of the spread just as easy. i have runblock on 25 in my online dynasty and blew it up last year. cpu awarness is at 100 but trying it lower to see if default is better. 8 of our twelve teams got more sacks last season than their real life counter part last year. 6 min quarters. you see the sacks but you will not see alot of pressure. the problem is that if you get pressure you get a pick 50% of the time. this is why we have such crazy blocking this year so they could fix the int prob from last year without really fixing the problem. oh and just so you know i only bring more than 4 guys about 5% of the time. im a zone d guy and i sit back. got 22 sacks with northwestern last year. 3 more than they did in real life.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I like Heisman better than AA myself. My skills are suited somewhere in between so I have to make slider adjustments whether I use AA or Heisman.

In my opinion, each level has some strengths and weaknesses. My biggest beef with AA is that the cpu offense is bad. The cpu QBs throw too many picks and the running game is garbage. On Heisman, the cpu QBs are too good and the line play is certainly slanted towards the cpu (particularly in pass protection). A lot of these issues can be fixed with sliders.

If you don't like the super human LBs (I'm assuming you mean them jumping up and knocking down passes), lower the cpu knockdown slider. If you are struggling to run the ball on Heisman (me too on default), boost the human run block slider. Boost your pass protection to give you more time as well.

You don't have to try anyone's slider sets. Unless you know the way they play is similar to yours, they won't work either. Try adjusting them yourself and see how it goes. In any case, Adjusted Heisman > Adjusted AA imo.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
the problem is that if you get pressure you get a pick 50% of the time. this is why we have such crazy blocking this year so they could fix the int prob from last year without really fixing the problem.
I completely agree. They never truly addressed the QB AI in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Rookie

DaNextPhenom25's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I like Heisman better than AA myself. My skills are suited somewhere in between so I have to make slider adjustments whether I use AA or Heisman.

In my opinion, each level has some strengths and weaknesses. My biggest beef with AA is that the cpu offense is bad. The cpu QBs throw too many picks and the running game is garbage. On Heisman, the cpu QBs are too good and the line play is certainly slanted towards the cpu (particularly in pass protection). A lot of these issues can be fixed with sliders.

If you don't like the super human LBs (I'm assuming you mean them jumping up and knocking down passes), lower the cpu knockdown slider. If you are struggling to run the ball on Heisman (me too on default), boost the human run block slider. Boost your pass protection to give you more time as well.

You don't have to try anyone's slider sets. Unless you know the way they play is similar to yours, they won't work either. Try adjusting them yourself and see how it goes. In any case, Adjusted Heisman > Adjusted AA imo.
I always thought of adjusting the sliders to my weaknesses was kind of cheap. But now I think that is what I need to do in order to have fun with this game.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNextPhenom25
I always thought of adjusting the sliders to my weaknesses was kind of cheap. But now I think that is what I need to do in order to have fun with this game.
Exactly. Do what makes the game fun.

I try to set my sliders so that the game is balanced - both running and passing games are effective for both me and the cpu. I like to tweak the game so that if I play against the cpu with even teams I have a 50% chance of winning. I will make things easier or harder for me to make that happen which I don't consider cheating. I'm just creating a custom made difficulty level for myself. Tweak, change, go nuts!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »