Home

NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #8353
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Josh, i have no idea why you're coming up with the user's PBK affecting the CPU's decision to throw to their top receiver?

The CPU threw to their top receiver last night, caught 7 passes for 90 yards. 95 thresh.

I'm not trying to argue, but again - there's another way to skin the cat. What has happened in the past is people are led down the rabbit hole, only to make compensation after compensation just for certain values to match up.
Because the User and CPU sliders play off of one another. Jack up a CPU slider, the corresponding User slider gets a boost (and vice versa). The relative strength of each slider has an impact on how the CPU plays. The slider differential for PBK was at +20 (30 User/ 50 CPU). The CPU was not targeting the primaries hardly at all. Bumping up the CPU PBK +5 did the trick, but their pass blocking became so good that it was leading to inflated completion percentages. So, instead, I lowered the User PBK -5 to get the same differential. It's the same reason that user tackling gets worse the higher the CPU tackle slider is set (relative to the User slider).

An OS member opened my eyes to this on Madden and it definitely holds true on NCAA. I'm not going to get into this in extreme detail, but as you correctly state, there is another way to skin the cat. I agree that threshold changes the dynamic, but for the reasons I outlined in my post, I have no inclination to alter the threshold on the "7/27 set".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I assume the off/def aggression is just as impactful and important to specific slider sets. So if you tested 11/27 set on 35/65 65/35 (do see how idiotic we sound sometimes) compared to say 50/50 50/50; you'd get a completely different game.

This is why I've gone default coaching aggression in my main dynasty. I don't want guys who want to play with a set to have to have all the items from the buffet just to make it enjoyable, because this is the rabbit hole we have led people down too often.
Look...I get all that - but standardizing the coaching aggression (not to mention defensive run/pass ratio) definitely fosters an improvement in the results (not necessarily stats) of simmed games. That IS important to many people (myself included) - nothing kills the immersion more than seeing 3 top 5 teams get blown-out by Sun Belt schools in one week. If anything - I am using aggression sliders now more for more realistic sim results than anything.

This particular "rabbit hole" isn't so deep IMO (it's not like we're talking about profile edits - and that is one rabbit hole even I am not going down). If we had no editor and had to manually edit rosters, then I would totally be using default settings (which is what we are forced into on Madden because EA decided for us that we can't edit CPU coaches). But here, we DO have the editor and for those less CPU-inclined, there are plenty of people who are willing to upload a modified roster to the Roster Share.

We're offering people alternatives - at the end of the day, that is a very good thing.

Sidebar: I gave your set a try on 95 thresh, and it was fun. I can totally see why you are enjoying it and I've been enjoying watching your archived Twitch streams.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #8354
MVP

jp18's Arena

OVR: 0

Jmo here, I have played enough games with all these sets they are all great....perfect hopefully someday. There really isn't much of a difference between any of them very simple to adjust to your liking. Say Josh's set plays great, the only thing that was to easy for ME was the threshold on 1. The game just wasn't quite fast enough making on making reads. Defensively I could take a poor angle and still make a play on the carrier much to often for my liking, which in return just allowed me to shut the offense down a bit to much for my liking. Matt's set also great with 95 threshold. The only thing that I personally felt was off again was speed the flow was just a bit to fast so i settled in between with a happy medium.

Josh's point with the user/cpu sliders I agree on I have thought this for as far back as i can remember and its my belief that is why it is so hard to balance the game. We all see it in a different way. Now I am all for finding a spacious place where we all get together and collaborate on it.

Aggression sliders seems to be a big talking point as well. I have went away from the generics of it and created my own based off how the teams play. Imo it has no effect on sim games. I have the likes of Alabama, Va Tech, Lsu, and many others along the lines of 60/40 for offense and 20/80 for defense. Many of the non power schools are set completely different for both offense and defense such as Tulsa, Akron, and Toledo offense is 70/30 defense in the 45/55 area and they combined to win 9 games altogether and were blown out by the likes of power 5 schools. Wku was 13-0 having played no one going into there bowl game against Oklahoma. Wku 70/30 and 45/55 Oklahoma 65/35 and 20/80 final score Ou 52-3. The entire top 25 was made up of power 5 conference teams with the exception of Wku N Dame and Cincy. Again just my opinion. These are truly the best sets to adjust for your liking without throwing everything out of whack.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #8355
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp18

Josh's point with the user/cpu sliders I agree on I have thought this for as far back as i can remember and its my belief that is why it is so hard to balance the game. We all see it in a different way. Now I am all for finding a spacious place where we all get together and collaborate on it.
Well, we already have 2 active sets going in this thread - I frankly don't want to clutter it up with yet another. It's going to be easier to open a new thread, which I have just done (mainly so I can easily edit the OP without bugging Matt ).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #8356
Rookie

My OD is using the 7/21 (I believe) slider set with IG at 99 and Threshold at 1. I'm still getting great games personally (and I'm the commish, with the lowest ranked team), but there are far too many blowouts by other user teams ... all our user teams are mid-80s or below, and the conference CPU teams are almost all higher rated, but we're blowing them out regularly.

CPU Offense seems decent, as they're able to keep pace with the user teams in some cases, but the User defenses are occassionally able to stop the CPU Offense, whereas the CPU Defense gets almost no stops (that aren't user-created like picks or terrible play calls). Any suggestions to make the CPU more of a defensive threat, within the context of the 7/21 set?

The biggest problem I have, within the context of this thread, is that we started our dynasty with all of the Aggression sliders set to 65/35 35/65. That's impossible to change now, so while I'd gladly move to Matt's 11/27 set, I'm not quite clear on just how much of an impact not using "default" aggression will have.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #8357
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHCross
My OD is using the 7/21 (I believe) slider set with IG at 99 and Threshold at 1. I'm still getting great games personally (and I'm the commish, with the lowest ranked team), but there are far too many blowouts by other user teams ... all our user teams are mid-80s or below, and the conference CPU teams are almost all higher rated, but we're blowing them out regularly.

CPU Offense seems decent, as they're able to keep pace with the user teams in some cases, but the User defenses are occassionally able to stop the CPU Offense, whereas the CPU Defense gets almost no stops (that aren't user-created like picks or terrible play calls). Any suggestions to make the CPU more of a defensive threat, within the context of the 7/21 set?

The biggest problem I have, within the context of this thread, is that we started our dynasty with all of the Aggression sliders set to 65/35 35/65. That's impossible to change now, so while I'd gladly move to Matt's 11/27 set, I'm not quite clear on just how much of an impact not using "default" aggression will have.
That is an incredibly difficult question to answer. You're talking about multiple players with multiple styles and teams. Without having concrete examples of why they are doing so well (i.e. are the CPU defenders not reacting well enough or is the User too juiced?) it is tough to diagnose.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #8358
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Well, we already have 2 active sets going in this thread - I frankly don't want to clutter it up with yet another.
I'm confused enough as it is. I'm old...
Old 08-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #8359
Rookie

OVR: 0

Another thing I noticed is an effect of Home Field Advantage being on, increases the "magnetic passes to a defender". I played about 20 games with it off didn't see hardly any. Played about 3 with it on, ironically all with the home team and had about 7 throws directly to the defender's chest. Just thought I'd share.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #8360
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders (FINAL VERSION)

When this thread started it was least about theory of the week; it was about learn from video and learn from the most dependable combinations. Having the options has led people too far down the rabbit hole. I just get annoyed by lack of video evidence which is the only true way to slider test and support "theories" accordingly. I should have stuck on this thread's premise to make changes based on that evidence because it really has gone way too far and out of control, resulting in unproven theories to mislead the community by way of placebos and ingredients that mirror that of chemists seeking attention versus actual application.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »