Home

ATTN EA: Custom Playbooks!

This is a discussion on ATTN EA: Custom Playbooks! within the NCAA Football Wishlist forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #49
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: ATTN EA: Custom Playbooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
As much as I like and agree with your ideas, there are two problems that I suspect pose big headaches for the dev team.

First: This isn't like NCAA 06 where all the formations had the same plays. In NCAA 11, one team's Ace Big can have completely different plays than another team's Ace Big. For that reason, they have to let us handpick the plays, including linked plays, for each formation we select.

Second: As much as I want create-a-play and create-a-formation, it throws a major wrench in some gameplay features that have become staples, such as flipping a play at the LOS, or formation-specific audibles.

For these reasons and more, I think the best thing EA can do is to put every single play and formation already in the game in an online library -- just like uniforms and stadiums in Teambuilder.

If they put the playbook libraries online, we could login, build a full-size playbook (handpicking 18 or so formations, plus Goal Line, Hail Mary and Special Teams, and 300 or so plays), name it, download it and share it with the community through the EA Locker.

I know my idea is more rudimentary than yours, but I think it's also more realistic. You gotta walk before you can run, right?
No it makes perfect sense, ideally is what I was going after but back on the first page I suggested them holding out on the Create-A-Play feature till roughly 2-3 years of work for the specific reasons of you kind of pointed out. There's so much really in the idea of Create-A-Play that it would have so many holes/exploits.

And the handpicking, I was aware of the same formation from different teams having different plays. I was just gonna settle for picking the formation from the base playbooks containing only the plays included in them. Handpicking though would be leaps and bounds ahead of my simplistic idea.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #50
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBruce
I think create-a-play could work----it was on last gen for goodness sakes! (Madden aat least, not thinking it was in NCAA, but idk, still need to check)
On last-gen Madden, I remember created plays always got really screwed up if you flipped them (if I remember right, some plays couldn't be flipped at all). Receivers' patterns would get all messed up when they were flipped. I'm not saying they can't FIX it, but I think it's a pretty complicated bit of work.

And create-a-play on last-gen was limited to the point that it was almost useless.

That's why I'm setting my sights a bit lower and pitching this idea of an Online Playbook Builder™ () from all the existing plays and formations already in the game.

I just think it's a much more realistic goal for NCAA 12. Plus, if a playbook uses plays and formations already in the game, then theoretically there'd be no argument against using custom playbooks online.

But yes, ultimately I'd love to see custom formations and plays in there.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #51
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special27K
No it makes perfect sense, ideally is what I was going after but back on the first page I suggested them holding out on the Create-A-Play feature till roughly 2-3 years of work for the specific reasons of you kind of pointed out. There's so much really in the idea of Create-A-Play that it would have so many holes/exploits.

And the handpicking, I was aware of the same formation from different teams having different plays. I was just gonna settle for picking the formation from the base playbooks containing only the plays included in them. Handpicking though would be leaps and bounds ahead of my simplistic idea.
I'm not sure if that's how the devs operate, they might only work on features as their being included into the game, that's only a guess though. Maybe Adam could give some insight into this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
On last-gen Madden, I remember created plays always got really screwed up if you flipped them (if I remember right, some plays couldn't be flipped at all). Receivers' patterns would get all messed up when they were flipped. I'm not saying they can't FIX it, but I think it's a pretty complicated bit of work.

And create-a-play on last-gen was limited to the point that it was almost useless.

That's why I'm setting my sights a bit lower and pitching this idea of an Online Playbook Builder™ () from all the existing plays and formations already in the game.

I just think it's a much more realistic goal for NCAA 12. Plus, if a playbook uses plays and formations already in the game, then theoretically there'd be no argument against using custom playbooks online.

But yes, ultimately I'd love to see custom formations and plays in there.
Never knew that about flipping plays, TBH. I think they could do it, and even if it IS limited at first, as long as they keep improving it and removing limitations, it is all good! Haha I just want to be able to create the stuff shown in my post with my playbook :P just look at pic if you want.

About online, I I think that idea was for the Create-a-play option lol
Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #53
Rookie

UF Fan's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
sorry for double post, but this just in from Adam

CELEBRATE xD
Take it from the BBC. Greg told us the same thing in the EA forum about the broadcast cam. Don't count those chickens just yet. btw has he mentioned anything about the cam?

Broadcast camera fans unite!- Most effective OS thread ever!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #54
Rookie

UF Fan's Arena

Here's what we were told last year

Greg: It's not looking like we're going to be able to squeeze this into the patch as it's technically a new feature and would require adequate QA testing (also, there are other higher priority items that need to go in as we have limitations on the size of the patch as well as other technical hurdles). We upgraded the entire camera system this year as well as implemented Player Lock; which was a ton of work. We just didn't have time to get to multiple camera angles in 2010, however, I am pushing very, very hard to have multiple cameras (and more) next product cycle.... since we were able to to implement the new camera system and Player Lock we will now can iterate on that base foundation and move forward.

Last edited by UF Fan; 06-22-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF Fan
Take it from the BBC. Greg told us the same thing in the EA forum about the broadcast cam. Don't count those chickens just yet. btw has he mentioned anything about the cam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF Fan
Here's what we were told last year

Greg: It's not looking like we're going to be able to squeeze this into the patch as it's technically a new feature and would require adequate QA testing (also, there are other higher priority items that need to go in as we have limitations on the size of the patch as well as other technical hurdles). We upgraded the entire camera system this year as well as implemented Player Lock; which was a ton of work. We just didn't have time to get to multiple camera angles in 2010, however, I am pushing very, very hard to have multiple cameras (and more) next product cycle.... since we were able to to implement the new camera system and Player Lock we will now can iterate on that base foundation and move forward.
ah okay then. 'tis suck, but we can still hope and try to hold them to it! and nothing about the BCC yet. Hopefully if he replies he will mention SOMETHING about it.....

E: to prevent double post, am editing. In 2005 (for Xbox), Create-A-Playbook was in. Suboptions were Formations and Audibles. Under Formations, you have to start with any team's playbook, but you can switch out any of the formations for another one, with the exception that you will always HAVE to have Goal Line, Hail Mary, and Special Teams. There were only 9 formations for team though, lol. Doesn't seem like that would be viable now-a-days (only 9 formations, that is). Now heading over to 06 to see how that was.... (BTW Create-A-Playbook was listed as a "NEW" feature in '05)

E2: somehow, my 06 disc has been seperated from the box However, I did read through the booklet, where I read that you can customize 9 or 12 formations, just like in 05. Haha, remember back when we ONLY could go through by formations? That'd take FOREVER to scroll through now-a-days! Haha I VERY rarely try to find a play via formation :P

Last edited by BamaBruce; 06-22-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #56
Rookie

UF Fan's Arena

Quote:
ah okay then. 'tis suck, but we can still hope and try to hold them to it! and nothing about the BCC yet. Hopefully if he replies he will mention SOMETHING about it.....
I will say this though. At least you have someone who will communicate with you here. We had Ian for Madden but for NCAA????? That's why I always defend Ian. For better or for worse, he faces the music.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist »