Home

how significant are FCS teams to you?

This is a discussion on how significant are FCS teams to you? within the NCAA Football Wishlist forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0
how significant are FCS teams to you?

In the NCAA football series, there used to be FCS teams available to play as.
In the 2000 installment, you could play an FCS season along side an FBS season (1-AA and 1-A at the time) The game would keep separate rankings for the FCS teams, and stats as well.

after that, FCS teams were still included in the game, and were available to swap into dynasty to replace an FBS team. I believe there were about 80 or 90 FCS teams in the latest installment for the last gen consoles.

Now, here we are... several years removed from the most recent game with FCS teams. All we have now is teambuilder. Teambuilder would be perfectly fine if we could import more than 12 teams in a dynasty, but alas, we can not.

With FCS teams in the game, there are so many new ways to keep the game fresh. The coaching carousel was MADE for a simultaneous FCS/FBS dynasty in my opinion. Can you imagine starting a career with a team like the Lafayette Leopards, building a program and getting offers to join the ranks of the FBS schools as a coach. OR maybe you could even choose to bump your team up into the FBS from the FCS if you feel the time is right.

If you dont care about using FCS teams in a dynasty, what about when you are using oregon in your dynasty, and you are looking for a tune up game in week one? gone are the days of FCS NorthWest. Now you will play against portland state. And what about the users who play as temple? Temple has a long standing rivalry with the villanova wildcats and they play each other in the first week of every season. Also, Wouldnt it be amazing to be playing your own game, when all of a sudden the upset alert comes on the screen : 'Ohio State 14, Youngstown state 17, :23 4th". FCS teams upsetting FBS teams are a major part of college sports.

Tell me what you think. Are FCS teams an important part of the NCAA football series? I sure think so.

Last edited by grabursock55; 09-01-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Fixing typos...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
Rookie

HawaiianRush's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: how significant are FCS teams to you?

I fully agree, this would be awesome to have in the NCAA title but how many more years do you think EA is going to play ignorant and not even acknowledge that people want this then start to implement it 5 years later...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

I mean, we already gave them 7 years since the last XBOX game to have FCS teams. I think weve waited long enough.

Even if they just did what they did in the old game where they had a generic stadium and stuff. that would be fine with me
Old 09-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
MVP

MrOctober430's Arena

OVR: 12

I loved swapping FCS schools in NCAA 06 and playing an FCS dynasty.

Don't know why they can't add FCS schools via DLC.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

I dont see why this is such a huge deal for them to put them back in the game. I thought we would have them for SURE by now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Rookie

pembo0630's Arena

OVR: 2

Great idea, it would really add a lot of immersion to dynasty mode to have NAMED FCS schools available on the schedule.

As far as being able to actually play as an FCS school, that might be a stretch. That would require tons of work to essentially add 50+ new stadiums to the game, 50+ new teams with their own unique attributes and players and fight songs. Not only that, but they would have to implement a rather intricate playoff system, it's like a whole new game. It would be a ridiculous amount of work and I'm not sure they would find it worth it.

I would be fine with only having 15-20 FCS schools during early implementation. They would work just like the current FCS schools except with actual schools instead of "FCS Midwest". Maybe later they could expand and potentially add the option to start a dynasty in the championship subdivision.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Rookie

B4lt1m0re Fan's Arena

OVR: 1

Not only do they make the game much deeper, they also make the game much better. The teams in there now, quite frankly, are pathetic. I've never once seen them play any teams close at all. Typically that's the case, but they clearly do play some teams close. Towson played LSU remarkably close, but on NCAA, 'Towson' gets blown out every time. Like everyone else said, I think it'd be more fun to take a FCS school to a higher level, meaning either FBS or turning a terrible program around. Despite how bad they are, the most infuriating thing I have with the current FCS teams is that they only made like 10 of them so you have weeks where FCS East is playing 3 or 4 schools during one week. They should stop with the additional stuff, the new Heisman mode for example, and put these teams back in the game.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Rookie

pembo0630's Arena

OVR: 2

Here is something I posted in the NCAA 14 wishlist topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembo0630
To continue, a lot of people want FCS teams. Hell, everyone in their right mind would agree that it would be awesome to start as OC for Delaware, move up to HC at Sam Houston State, then get your first big boy coordinating job at UTEP or SJSU. It would be epic, gratifying, satisfying, and unbelievably immersive.

That is simply not realistic for the time being.

#1, there is not a large enough market for the addition of division 1-AA schools. Yes, many of us on operation sports would love it. Many of us on Op sports are more 'hardcore' than casual, though. It would require a tremendous amount of work to be implemented properly (how many teams would be added? would their fight songs/traditions be included as well? what about their stadiums? A playoff would have to be scripted too...) It would be like an entirely new game. To be frank, I'm not sure if it could all fit on one disc. A download would solve this problem, but the design, scripting, and implementation of a feature casual gamers might not appreciate would take an incredible amount of manpower away from solving issues currently in the game.

I would love to see it. I am confident we will see it one day. That day, I believe, will be with the next generation of consoles. That way they can either include FCS teams on the disc or release them as a download (you could use a code in the manual of NCAA to get it for free). They will be able to do a lot of cool stuff once these shiny new consoles come out in a year or two. More processing power and improved graphic cards will bring a lot of changes to crowds, sidelines, players, etc, and I believe FCS schools will eventually be a part of that. I do not see ALL FCS schools returning in early implementation, but I am confident we will one day be able to play as the Colorado Christians of the world again by 2015-2016 (like we could over a decade ago).
It would add so much to the game in terms of immersion; it's mind-boggling that they removed FCS schools. NCAA '00 had it. NCAA '00. Come on, son.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist »