Home

NCAA 2004 is still the best

This is a discussion on NCAA 2004 is still the best within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2004, 03:53 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: NCAA 2004 is still the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgator
I never bought '05. And I am thankful I didn't. I still play '04 like there's no tomorrow.
If you're happy with no defense then enjoy. Personally i'm glad that EA finally realized there are two sides to a football game and defense actually matters. I guess it's just whatever you prefer though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 PM   #26
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
If you're happy with no defense then enjoy. Personally i'm glad that EA finally realized there are two sides to a football game and defense actually matters. I guess it's just whatever you prefer though.
I agree. Since I moved from the XBOX version to the PS2 version, which seems to perform much better, I think '05 is by far the best version they have ever made.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #27
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
heh they got that right on Madden 05 this year or supposedly. I found out that if you play with HFA you get better results. Ill wait another year to play with it on, hopefully by then it will be improved.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #28
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

OVR: 13

I might have to go with Madden 2005 over NCAA 2004, but I agree, for the most part, that NCAA 2005 took two steps back this year.

The drops, slowdown, and low AI Completion % is what kills me......and stat lines last these from a game I played last night: Auburn (me) vs. Georgia when the computer just throws up hail marys and comes down with them more often than not.

David Greene 13-41 401 yards passing 2 TD's

Blah!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:56 PM   #29
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I agree. Since I moved from the XBOX version to the PS2 version, which seems to perform much better, I think '05 is by far the best version they have ever made.
Online, the ps2 is as fun as ever. We have played 3-0 games and 24-17 games.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:48 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

For me, the inclusion of zone read plays ("QB choice" in the playbooks) in 2005 is almost enough alone to make the game better than 2004. You've got to love anything that gives you more of that college football flavor. That and running plays that actually go to the left, even though those are still far and few between.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #31
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

Honestly, I feel the defense is tougher due to the offense being handicapped with things such as dropped passes, incorrect blocking schemes, poorly designed and thought out plays, unrealistic defensive back play (banjos), and fluctuating player ratings.

For example the QB Choice plays in the shotgun are real head scratchers for me. They're trying to implement the zone read play that many spread offense teams run. How that play is supposed to work is the offensive line uses it's standard zone/reach blocking technique on the play side defensive linemen while the back side defensive end is intentionally left unblocked. The quarterback reads this player and based on what the defensive end does, the quarterback can give the ball to the back on the zone play or keep it himself and go around the back side.

In NCAA 2005 the center, play side guard, and play side tackle will zone/reach block, however for some reason they have it so the back side guard pulls to the play side and the back side tackle blocks the back side defensive end. This blocking scheme doesn't make any sense. Why would you pull the back side guard to the play side when the play side linemen are zone blocking in that direction? If you're going to pull the back side guard the play side needs to block down. Also since the back side defensive end is being blocked by the back side tackle, who is the quarterback "reading" to make his give/keep read?

This is just one of the numerous examples of poorly thought out schemes and play design in NCAA 2005. The good news is the production team at EA Tiborun has gotten the message concerning NCAA 2005 and it's shortcomings and they're looking to make dramatic improvements for NCAA 2006.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #32
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

OVR: 18

No defense in 2004? Wow..you guys must suck..i would love to play you..and show you how i can dominate with my FS...

2004>>>05'

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »