Home

Scholarships in RFTH

This is a discussion on Scholarships in RFTH within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Scholarships in RFTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletman
It doesn't defeat the purpose guys. Come on, there are many players that walk on the the school they have always dreamed of playing for when they don't get an offer from them. It is called trying to fulfill a childhood dream of playing for your favorite school. Many of these types of players even make a major impact before graduating. If I had always dreamed of playing for Texas Tech but was not offered anymore than an offer to walk on but also got scholarship offers from several small schools in Texas I think I would have to walk on and see if I could hack it and if not then I could stick it out as a backup or transfer. Do what you want but I'm going to try to get a scholie from Texas Tech and if not then I'll walk on unless another major Div 1 school offers. Otherwise, it's Texas Tech for me.
I think what they are saying is that if you get offered by sort of major schools like say a Cincinnati or a Georgia Tech or something. That there is no reason that someone wouldn't take the scholarship. But like of course you are going to put yourself in the game and when was the last time that a walk on started at like USC or something at HB. Thats what I think they are trying to say.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
Rookie

Jokerace's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletman
It doesn't defeat the purpose guys. Come on, there are many players that walk on the the school they have always dreamed of playing for when they don't get an offer from them. It is called trying to fulfill a childhood dream of playing for your favorite school. Many of these types of players even make a major impact before graduating. If I had always dreamed of playing for Texas Tech but was not offered anymore than an offer to walk on but also got scholarship offers from several small schools in Texas I think I would have to walk on and see if I could hack it and if not then I could stick it out as a backup or transfer. Do what you want but I'm going to try to get a scholie from Texas Tech and if not then I'll walk on unless another major Div 1 school offers. Otherwise, it's Texas Tech for me.
I understand what you are saying but this isn't how it works.

There is no "see if I could hack it and if not then I could stick it out as a backup or transfer". You will be controlling the player (and team) as usual, so how could you "not hack it"?

What makes it defeat the purpose is that it is not realistic. A walk-on is not gonna start over a higher rated player in RL. However in this game you can (and most people will change the depth chart so that their player is the starter. No matter what the ratings of the players).

That is what everyone is talking about.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Has anything been said on how it determines what schools offer you? Like you say your person is from Illinois will it give you schools around there if you do alright in drills like U of I, NIU, etc. Or say your from Florida will it give you schools in that area, UCF, UF, Miami, FSU, etc. Or will it be entirely random?
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #12
rac
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan27
Has anything been said on how it determines what schools offer you? Like you say your person is from Illinois will it give you schools around there if you do alright in drills like U of I, NIU, etc. Or say your from Florida will it give you schools in that area, UCF, UF, Miami, FSU, etc. Or will it be entirely random?
This is what I was trying to get at. Do they just randomly pick three teams out of the blue based on how you do on your drill or are other factors taken into cosideration (ie. depth at position, location, etc.)?
Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerace
I understand what you are saying but this isn't how it works.

There is no "see if I could hack it and if not then I could stick it out as a backup or transfer". You will be controlling the player (and team) as usual, so how could you "not hack it"?

What makes it defeat the purpose is that it is not realistic. A walk-on is not gonna start over a higher rated player in RL. However in this game you can (and most people will change the depth chart so that their player is the starter. No matter what the ratings of the players).

That is what everyone is talking about.
I see what you are saying, but just because you take a scholarship somewhere doesn't make you the best player at that position your freshman year either. For those that put their player as the starter over the better rated players (unless the cpu roster makes you the starter since we don't know if we can change the rosters around) they are cheating themselves part of the fun of this feature. We already know you can go to practice mode from your dorm room and improve your ratings. The one thing I hope they do is allow for our player to be redshirted. If not then I feel we have been cheated out of a year of preperation that a lot of players get to take advantage of. And as far as major programs not having walkons amount to a starter, last year's QB Sonny Cumbie at Texas Tech was once a walk on. He wasn't the best but he got the job done. We are all going to use this feature in different ways and we'll all have fun with it, I just don't agree with the statement of walking on not being realistic. On a side note, I hope they get the game down here to the southern tip of Texas the same time as they do the rest of this state.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 9

Walking on is realistic, just not a walk on starting their freshman year. But it is a video game and to each his own.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #15
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

My answer to the location (copied from my GAMEFAQS post, and not good news):

"When EA did this, they screwed up in one part of the RTTH mode. They put the "create-a-player" part after you get scholarship offers. The obvious problem with this is that you input your location after receiving scholarship offers. As we all know, recruiting is a very regional process. Let's look at a hypothetical situation:

Let's say you are at the high-school camp (position is irrelevant) and you do fairly well...well enough that teams in the 20-30 ranking range will offer you a scholarship. To make this easier, here are the the teams ranked #20-30 in this game:

#20 - Auburn
#21 - Texas Tech
#22 - Viriginia
#23 - Pittsburgh
#24 - UTEP
#25 - Georgia Tech
#26 - Texas A&M
#27 - UCLA
#28 - Cal
#29 - Colorado
#30 - Fresno State

Okay, so let's say you do fairly well, and are offered scholarships from Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Colorado. You accept the scholarship, and then input the fact that your player is from Texas. See the problem? Logically, you would probably be around a 4 star prospect. If you are from Texas, teams like Virginia and GA-Tech are not going to offer you a scholarship. The three teams that should offer you one are Texas Tech, UTEP, and Texas A&M, as they are all Texas schools, and if you are from Texas, you would probably want to go to one of those schools over Virginia or something like that.

Note: This is based on the Heisman diary, on IGN."

I don't think walking on is a bad idea...I have all intentions of playing quarterback at Auburn (to be fair, Brandon Cox ain't the greatest QB around), but it would not make much sense for a walk-on middle linebacker to take over for Travis Williams...

I don't think I'll walk-on, as I will probably re-do the drills so I can get the scholarship offer (I know it's cheap...but what's the point of the mode if you don't do it how you want). Thankfully, Auburn isn't ranked in the top 10, so I should be okay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #16
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Damn thats bad for a few reasons lol, not regional so that hurts and also I'm gonna have to tank bad to wind up at Illinois
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »