Home

Most OVERrated QB in NCAA 2006

This is a discussion on Most OVERrated QB in NCAA 2006 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 PM   #65
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Most OVERrated QB in NCAA 2006

Ok, I just checked the stats.

Jason White (2003)
265 of 414 (64%) for 3,738 yards, 40 TDs, 8 INTs

Omar Jacobs (2004)
309 of 462 (67%) for 4,002 yards, 41 TDs, 4 INTs

See what I mean? You don't have to have the stongest arm to put up great numbers and statistics can be inflated by the right offensive system.

Also, try to keep in mind that Jason White put up those numbers without the help of Adrian Peterson and did so against the likes of Texas, Texas A&M, etc., while Omar put up his numbers against teams like Ball State, Temple, and Central Michigan. In his one game against a big time team (Oklahoma), he was 24 of 41 for 218 yards and two TDs. Not bad numbers, but certainly not anything you'd raise your eyebrows at.

The thing is, it's trendy to say you've seen Omar and he's the greatest thing since John Elway. It makes you feel like you know a secret because most people haven't heard of him. However, if you really watched him and knew enough about his offensive system, you'd know that he's not as good as advertised. He's Ferrari with a Chevy engine. Don't get me wrong, the Chevy is ok, but it's definitely not a Ferrari.

But I guess my Toledo bias has clearly affected my judgement and I know nothing about football. *rolls eyes*

Last edited by BTG; 07-21-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
Ha ha ha. Right on. Go Rockets.

I understand his numbers are high and people who want to seem knowledgable about all things college football are all over him. However, I have watched him in person and seen how much he struggles when teams bring heat. Also, that "dart" style throwing motion helps him get the ball out a split second faster, but it's really not something pro scouts look for. Remember, the knock on Phil Rivers was his delivery ... just as it will be for Omar.

He's really not as good as him numbers make him look. Because BG runs such short routes he's able to sort of push the ball to the receiver which inflates his stats. It's hard for a DB to step in front of the receivers when the ball is out in half a second. I'm not saying Omar's not a good player. He is. He's perfect for BG's system - one that makes QBs look better than they actually are. The real point here is I think he's overrated.

And I didn't say Bruce is better. I said he's better in certain facets of the game. Of course I'm biased, though. BG is by far our biggest rival, and while I respect them, I claim superiority at all times over those farm boys.
Heh. Just sticking up for my alma mater (Go Falcons!). I've seen Omar a couple times in person (and on TV) and I like him better than Josh Harris. I agree that Omar should be around an 86-88 QB. He is a product of the system. He did not handle the pressure very well last year against Toledo. He did much better against Memphis in the GMAC bowl. Omar is a better passer while Josh was more of a runner-thrower. I would still keep Omar's ACC rating high but lower his speed and arm strength.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #67
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5

Thank you for being rational.

I agree that Omar is better than Harris, but Harris was so overrated I could have cried. Chris Wallace and Tavares Bolden were both better QBs than Josh. If he had to throw the ball over 20 yards, he was in trouble. He had a pretty good arm and all, but his accuracy suffered on the longer passes. He could definitely tear up the underneath stuff, though. I'll give him that.

When did you go to BG and where do you live now? Still in BG? I started at UT in '97, but I ended up leaving right before I got my AD to join the Navy for five years. I now live in Holland (just outside of Toledo) and I work in a brokerage firm in northern Toledo. I'm trying to go back to school, but I never get around to actually doing so. Interestingly enough, one of the guys I work with was a starting linebacker for UT in the early 70s when they won something like 40 straight games. Oh the stories he has...

Last edited by BTG; 07-21-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #68
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Vince Young 15 20 drop back mixed with the run around in the back field then throwing across the field on point...
Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG
Thank you for being rational.

I agree that Omar is better than Harris, but Harris was so overrated I could have cried. Chris Wallace and Tavares Bolden were both better QBs than Josh. If he had to throw the ball over 20 yards, he was in trouble. He had a pretty good arm and all, but his accuracy suffered on the longer passes. He could definitely tear up the underneath stuff, though. I'll give him that.

When did you go to BG and where do you live now? Still in BG? I started at UT in '97, but I ended up leaving right before I got my AD to join the Navy for five years. Now I live in Holland (just outside of Toledo) and I work in a brokerage firm. I'm trying to go back to school, but I never get around to doing so. Interestingly enough, one of the guys I work with was a starting linebacker for UT in the early 70s when they won something like 40 straight games.
I graduated from BG in 1992 (yeah I'm old). I live in the Cleveland area so I can listen to most BG games on the radio or on TV. Harris was a good QB and is still listed as the #3 QB for the Browns. Of course Charlie Frye is ranked as the #2 and I didn't think much of him at Akron. The last thing I want to bring up on Omar is that he is still a Junior. Hopefully he will be a little more aware this season of the blitz. Those were pretty good numbers for his first year starting.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #70
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15

Chad Henne is overrated
Old 07-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #71
Rookie

tigerfan2's Arena

OVR: 6

I would have to say Vick and Brodie Croyle, neither have done anything to warrant their ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #72
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Drew Tate, Chad Henne, and Charlies Whitehurst are overrated. But I i think Bruce Gradkowski is the man he completed 70% of his passes in two straight season he is a freak, and Omar Jacobs is good too. But I wouldnt go saying he is the man yet, the guy is still a Junior he had one good season and will be under alot of pressure to almost match the season he had last year. Now im not a Toledo fan but Omar jacobs is slighty overrated in this game when you think about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »