Home

Any recruiting house rules yet???

This is a discussion on Any recruiting house rules yet??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26
Any recruiting house rules yet???

Has anyone come up with a recruiting house rule "formula" yet? I know for NCAA 04 I think Abner had some or it might have been someone else. I haven't started my dynasty yet but I didn't know how recruiting was this year, especially with the addition of in-season recruiting. Is it still easy to get 5* and 4* players if you are a good team? If it is, It would be nice to have a set of "house rules" so your team doesn't get so loaded that there isn't any competition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Any recruiting house rules yet???

Various rules I've picked up from different forums:

For teams of 1* prestige level:
- You MAY NOT recruit 4 and 5 star recruits. Unless they are in your home state (or pipeline) and have most of the interest bar filled up. You are limited to one 5 star player OR two 4 star players.
- You may only recruit the number of 3 star recruits as you had wins last season and they MUST be from your home state or pipeline state.

For teams of 2* prestige level:
- You MAY NOT recruit 4 and 5 star recruits. Unless they are in your home state (or pipeline) and have most of the interest bar filled up. You are limited to to one 5 star player AND two 4 star players.
- You may only recruit the number of 3 star recruits as you had wins last season and they MUST be from your home state OR Pipeline states.

For teams of 3* prestige level:
- You MAY NOT recruit 5* recruits and 4* recruits out of your state, or your pipeline state. You are limited to two 5 star players and three 4 star players
- You may recruit unlimited 3 star recruits in state and in pipeline states as you can throughout the season.

For teams of 4* prestige level:
-You MAY NOT recruit 5* recruits unless they are in state, or in pipeline states. You are limited to four 5 star players, and 5 four star players
-Everything else is pretty much fair game.

For teams of 5* and 6* prestige level:
-You can recruit whatever the heck you want.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1 star
No 4* or 5* targets
Only target recruits within a 100 mile radius
Only target Very Interested recruits (top 5)
Discipline must be Good or better

2 star
No 5* targets, up to Four 4* targets
Only target recruits within a 200 mile radius

3 star
Up to Two 5* targets, up to Six 4* targets, but no more than Six total 4* and 5*
Only target recruits within a 300 mile radius
Only target Interested recruits

4 star
Up to Three 5* targets, up to Ten 4* targets, but no more than Ten total 4* and 5*
Only target recruits within a 600 mile radius

Up to Four 5* targets, up to Twelve 4* targets, but no more than Twelve total 4* and 5*
No Distance restriction
No Interest restriction

Up to Five 5* targets, up to Fourteen 4* targets, but no more than Fourteen total 4* and 5*
No Distance restriction
No Interest restriction
Old 07-22-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
Various rules I've picked up from different forums:

For teams of 1* prestige level:
- You MAY NOT recruit 4 and 5 star recruits. Unless they are in your home state (or pipeline) and have most of the interest bar filled up. You are limited to one 5 star player OR two 4 star players.
- You may only recruit the number of 3 star recruits as you had wins last season and they MUST be from your home state or pipeline state.

For teams of 2* prestige level:
- You MAY NOT recruit 4 and 5 star recruits. Unless they are in your home state (or pipeline) and have most of the interest bar filled up. You are limited to to one 5 star player AND two 4 star players.
- You may only recruit the number of 3 star recruits as you had wins last season and they MUST be from your home state OR Pipeline states.

For teams of 3* prestige level:
- You MAY NOT recruit 5* recruits and 4* recruits out of your state, or your pipeline state. You are limited to two 5 star players and three 4 star players
- You may recruit unlimited 3 star recruits in state and in pipeline states as you can throughout the season.

For teams of 4* prestige level:
-You MAY NOT recruit 5* recruits unless they are in state, or in pipeline states. You are limited to four 5 star players, and 5 four star players
-Everything else is pretty much fair game.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1 star
No 4* or 5* targets
Only target recruits within a 100 mile radius

2 star
No 5* targets, up to Four 4* targets
Only target recruits within a 200 mile radius

3 star
Up to Two 5* targets, up to Six 4* targets, but no more than Six total 4* and 5*
Only target recruits within a 300 mile radius

4 star
Up to Three 5* targets, up to Ten 4* targets, but no more than Ten total 4* and 5*
Only target recruits within a 600 mile radius

Up to Four 5* targets, up to Twelve 4* targets, but no more than Twelve total 4* and 5*
No Distance restriction
No Interest restriction

Up to Five 5* targets, up to Fourteen 4* targets, but no more than Fourteen total 4* and 5*
No Distance restriction
No Interest restriction
Have you used these yet? They sound like they would provide a good distribution of good players.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I started searching for some house rules for recruiting and I found this thread but while it is based on reality, I think it doesn't accomplish what a gamer really needs to keep the game competitive.

The rules state if you are a crappy program you have to restrict yourself the most. I find this backwards. Its more fun to bring up a crappy program and because you suck, its hard to get great recruits anyway. I think the real problem in these rules is that great programs are allowed to recruit whoever they want. While realistic, this just allows your dominant team to be even more dominant due to the ease of recruiting.

If anybody has any great ideas, please share them. I think when I start recruiting at my next job I am going to try something different.

Ideas:
  1. Can only recruit 4 and 5 star players in pipeline states (maybe an exception to five and six star programs).
  2. Limit your team to a maximum of three 5 star players and five 4 star players total during both in season and off-season recruiting. That is still 8 good to great players every year and you only really have to fill 22 offensive and defensive starters anyway. Even great teams do drop once in awhile (see Michigan this year).
  3. Possibly force yourself to spend scouting points on all 4 and 5 star players to make you pay for going after them.
Haven't tried it yet but I was having more fun bringing up programs and trying to beat teams better than me. In my 4th year at Ole Miss I am ranked #1 and am an A- team. Once I win a NC I think I will quit and take a job at Vanderbilt and see how these work.

Edit: If people find this too restricitive, maybe you could make an exception for ATHLETES when you recruit. They are fun to recruit and maybe any 4 or 5 star athlete wouldn't count against your quota.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 10-12-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

There's a good recruiting thread over at Utopia.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBalls1
There's a good recruiting thread over at Utopia.

Could you post the main ideas here? My netnanny at work won't allow me to go there.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Could you post the main ideas here? My netnanny at work won't allow me to go there.

Thanks.
It's a very long thread with several recruiting ideas. I suggest you log on when you get home but here is the first post of the thread by jamesnathan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnathan
2006 Sophisticated Recruiting Strategy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...........................# OF TARGETS........................
prestige......5*.........4*.......3*.......2*..... ..1*
6* school....4...........12.......5.........3....... .1
5* school....3...........10.......7.........4....... .1
4* school....2...........8.........8.........5....... .2
3* school....1...........7.........10.......5....... .2
2* school....0...........4.........11.......7....... .3
1* school....0...........0.........13.......8....... .4
1*, 2* and 3* have less targets, because it is hard to spread out points effectively.

2* schools can target 1 5* recruit from the same state, but must be in Top 5 after Week 1
1* schools cannot target 5* recruits and can only recruit a 4* recruit when in state and in the Top 5 after Week 1

In-Season Recruiting
# of Recruits Maximum % Minimum %
12 12 8
11 17 8
10 18 9
9 28 9
8 20 11
7 26 11
6 30 12
5 35 15
4 33 20
3 42 27
2 55 45

Off-Season Recruiting
1. You stay with these targets all the way through recruiting. You are allowed to go after new recruits to fill required openings.
2. Stop recruiting once you get to 70 on your roster.
3. Everyone should get at least one bump up in recruiting points from their lowest possible so you can't get away with not actively pursuing a 1* recruit. (I consider this the equivalent of a Head Coach Call from 2004)
4. All 1* and 2* recruits must be from the region.
5. 8 players can get more points than the others (I consider this the equivalent of Head Coach Visits from 2004, but try to keep in real (same state))
6. During week 5 if you haven't gotten to 70 players on your roster you may go all out on recruiting.

In-state: Unlimited
Region: The limit is 4 plus your team's prestige
Florida, California, Texas: The total limit is equal to your team's prestige (obviously if you are a school in one of these states the unlimited rule applies for your state)
All other states: Limit is according to team prestige as follows: 1 star = 1 player, 2 stars = 2 players, 3-4 stars = 3 players, 5-6 stars = 4 players.

* - Teams in Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona may NOT include California as a regional state should it be considered within their region or border. However, they can recruit up to 9 players from California IN ADDITION to whatever they are allowed according to their FL,CA,TX limit and other state limit.

Note that the limits for regional and FL/CA/TX recruiting are combined limits for all states in the region. So, if your limit for FL/CA/TX is 4 players, you can recruit a total of four from FL, CA, and TX combined, not 4 players from each.

Also, limits can be combined if they overlap

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »