Home

This Series is Circling the Drain

This is a discussion on This Series is Circling the Drain within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
Rookie

ufer2's Arena

OVR: 3
This Series is Circling the Drain

I want to like it, I really do. But I just can’t. How can EA let such a proud franchise that is NCAA deteriorate into the product that is sitting on our shelves right now? I pray that they just wrote this year off to concentrate on making a big splash on the PS3. Because they obviously licked the stamp and mailed it in on NCAA 2006.

I have lived for the release of this game every year since 1993, dating back to Bill Walsh College Football on the Sega Genesis. Back when there was no “Notre Dame” rather “South Bend.” Before the team names, logos on helmets and player editors. Back when you hoped to get invited to one of the FOUR fictional bowl games: Maple Bowl, Palm Bowl, Pecan Bowl and Redwood Bowl. This game IS MY MADDEN. Now it’s just like all the rest.

I’ve seen enough of the god-awful frame rate slow down inside my own 20-yard line. I’ve seen enough INT’s returned for TD’s. I’ve seen enough kick and punt returns taken back to the house. I’ve seen enough quarterbacks with a 200+ passing efficiency. I’ve seen enough super star recruits. I’ve seen enough DB’s that can’t be run down by anyone – regardless of his speed ratings. I’ve seen enough of this pi-- poor effort. I’ve seen enough of NCAA 2006.

Frank Beamer’s Virginia Tech Hokies figured out how to blocked 63 kicks in the 90’s alone. You would think EA would finally figure out a way for the gamer to block a field goal or extra point over the last 13 years, right? Nope. You’d think they could put the extra 5-yard lines on the floor of Tiger Stadium in LSU, right? Nope. You’d think they could figure out a way to rotate the schedules properly after Season 2 in a dynasty, right? Nope. Or how NOT to schedule regular season games after the Michigan/Ohio State match up? Nope.

It just seems that the more they add to this game, the worse it gets. Let’s worry less about the girlfriend’s picture on my dorm room computer and a little more about stopping the automatic deep ball that has plagued this franchise for the last 8-9 years. Race for the Heisman? I thought we had that already? Its called Create-A-Player! Lets worry less about adding mascot games and worry more about the computer abandoning the run after the first series. Can we get a running back that doesn’t stand straight up at the goal line after a one-yard run?! And don’t even get me started about the online lag.

Don’t get me wrong … I’m not sour on the concept – I’ve soured on the direction. The good features are too numerous to mention. It’s the fact that we are seeing more and more of the bad features. Get back to what made the NCAA series the best … the tradition of college athletics and how it is different from the pro game. Give us more unique entrances … where’s Ralphie the Buffalo leading Colorado onto the field in Boulder? Or Boomer Sooner? Can someone in the art department create Clemson’s famous run down The Hill after rubbing Howard’s Rock? Or Michigan’s “Go Blue – The M Club Supports You” banner?

Why are all the 330-pound offensive lineman perfectly tapered down to their size 36 waists? Give me the fat lineman from Milwaukee. Or how about the tiny lockdown corner from Ft. Lauderdale. Hey EA, all of your player models look the same except for height!

Die hard fans like myself still think it’s the best sports series ever made – it just feels more comfortable than Madden ever will. I don’t want to give up on this franchise because with the PS3 right around the corner, the possibilities are endless. But please, try to perfect the game of football and the college atmosphere itself before wasting time and money on features that bring so little to the experience.

More cadets doing pushups and tearing down goalposts, less fan mail and sub-.500 teams in the Top 25.

Just wasted $50,
Ufer2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 AM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: This Series is Circling the Drain

Um, ok. And I thought I got agrivated at this game.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-03-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufer2
I want to like it, I really do. But I just can’t. How can EA let such a proud franchise that is NCAA deteriorate into the product that is sitting on our shelves right now? I pray that they just wrote this year off to concentrate on making a big splash on the PS3. Because they obviously licked the stamp and mailed it in on NCAA 2006.

I have lived for the release of this game every year since 1993, dating back to Bill Walsh College Football on the Sega Genesis. Back when there was no “Notre Dame” rather “South Bend.” Before the team names, logos on helmets and player editors. Back when you hoped to get invited to one of the FOUR fictional bowl games: Maple Bowl, Palm Bowl, Pecan Bowl and Redwood Bowl. This game IS MY MADDEN. Now it’s just like all the rest.

I’ve seen enough of the god-awful frame rate slow down inside my own 20-yard line. I’ve seen enough INT’s returned for TD’s. I’ve seen enough kick and punt returns taken back to the house. I’ve seen enough quarterbacks with a 200+ passing efficiency. I’ve seen enough super star recruits. I’ve seen enough DB’s that can’t be run down by anyone – regardless of his speed ratings. I’ve seen enough of this pi-- poor effort. I’ve seen enough of NCAA 2006.

Frank Beamer’s Virginia Tech Hokies figured out how to blocked 63 kicks in the 90’s alone. You would think EA would finally figure out a way for the gamer to block a field goal or extra point over the last 13 years, right? Nope. You’d think they could put the extra 5-yard lines on the floor of Tiger Stadium in LSU, right? Nope. You’d think they could figure out a way to rotate the schedules properly after Season 2 in a dynasty, right? Nope. Or how NOT to schedule regular season games after the Michigan/Ohio State match up? Nope.

It just seems that the more they add to this game, the worse it gets. Let’s worry less about the girlfriend’s picture on my dorm room computer and a little more about stopping the automatic deep ball that has plagued this franchise for the last 8-9 years. Race for the Heisman? I thought we had that already? Its called Create-A-Player! Lets worry less about adding mascot games and worry more about the computer abandoning the run after the first series. Can we get a running back that doesn’t stand straight up at the goal line after a one-yard run?! And don’t even get me started about the online lag.

Don’t get me wrong … I’m not sour on the concept – I’ve soured on the direction. The good features are too numerous to mention. It’s the fact that we are seeing more and more of the bad features. Get back to what made the NCAA series the best … the tradition of college athletics and how it is different from the pro game. Give us more unique entrances … where’s Ralphie the Buffalo leading Colorado onto the field in Boulder? Or Boomer Sooner? Can someone in the art department create Clemson’s famous run down The Hill after rubbing Howard’s Rock? Or Michigan’s “Go Blue – The M Club Supports You” banner?

Why are all the 330-pound offensive lineman perfectly tapered down to their size 36 waists? Give me the fat lineman from Milwaukee. Or how about the tiny lockdown corner from Ft. Lauderdale. Hey EA, all of your player models look the same except for height!

Die hard fans like myself still think it’s the best sports series ever made – it just feels more comfortable than Madden ever will. I don’t want to give up on this franchise because with the PS3 right around the corner, the possibilities are endless. But please, try to perfect the game of football and the college atmosphere itself before wasting time and money on features that bring so little to the experience.

More cadets doing pushups and tearing down goalposts, less fan mail and sub-.500 teams in the Top 25.

Just wasted $50,
Ufer2

so basically all you want is Fat asses, a team entrance and a blocked field goal.

cmon man its a video game read what you said again you have no legitamate complains.

ea is a company they need to sell every year, thats where race for the heisman comes in. If all they did was say we got perfect sim play then all the kids age 5-15 wouldn't want it for christmas. they do this b/c you will buy it every year anyways.

This is what annual video games have come to its just life, hmmmm ever wonder why MVP '05 was so good
Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

While I'm loving this game, you make excellent points. They have so much room to improve and little things that you mentioned to me are more important that Race For The Heisman or Mascot Mode.

Hopefully they will make giants steps as we enter the next gen consoles, because frankly, the possiblities are endless.

How bout an animated band? Realistic looking sidelines for once in a football game?

Its the little things that make me go....WOW.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 08-03-2005, 01:40 AM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

I think its funny how people say they want the game to be like it used to. However, if EA acually released NCAA 2006 that reverted back to NCAA 2002, people would be far more angry. The bottom line is that everyone wants a perfect game, sadly it just may not ever happen. I've enjoyed NCAA 2006 so far, but haven't played it in about 2 weeks, I guess I'm waiting for Madden, I don't know. The deep ball is a bit of a problem but other than that, I don't see any MAJOR issues.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I think its funny how people say they want the game to be like it used to. However, if EA acually released NCAA 2006 that reverted back to NCAA 2002, people would be far more angry. The bottom line is that everyone wants a perfect game, sadly it just may not ever happen. I've enjoyed NCAA 2006 so far, but haven't played it in about 2 weeks, I guess I'm waiting for Madden, I don't know. The deep ball is a bit of a problem but other than that, I don't see any MAJOR issues.
The same people beetching about how far the series has fallen are probably the same ones that got on here to rant about '02, '03 and 04 being in the crapper.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:57 AM   #7
MVP

EXboxur's Arena

OVR: 12

ufer2 makes some great points, and I understand that gimmicky new modes are put in to help promote a new release, but I don't understand how some things just keep getting overlooked year after year after year.

And why would they remove team specific entrances altogether? Isn't that regression?

EA needs to look at how VC made the presentation of ESPN football. I mean, no halftime report, no postgame, or weekly wrap up, even on the Xbox? C'mon!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseValentinWooo
so basically all you want is Fat asses, a team entrance and a blocked field goal.

cmon man its a video game read what you said again you have no legitamate complains.

ea is a company they need to sell every year, thats where race for the heisman comes in. If all they did was say we got perfect sim play then all the kids age 5-15 wouldn't want it for christmas. they do this b/c you will buy it every year anyways.

This is what annual video games have come to its just life, hmmmm ever wonder why MVP '05 was so good
did you read his post ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »