Home

Does the Stiff Arm Work??

This is a discussion on Does the Stiff Arm Work?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Does the Stiff Arm Work??

the stiff arm isnt very good, but it helps to press it earlier than you think you should. also the stiff arm button also switches the ball to the outside arm, so you gotta make sure the arm you want to stiff arm with is free.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
How often do you really see this happen anyway??

The power move and jukes work best in close quarters. Even HUGE backs really don't stiff arm in close quarters b/c of fear of losing the ball.

The stiff arm works best in a one on one if the guy is coming at you from the side, and you should usually hit it about a half second early so the player (your guy) can extend his arm with enough time....
That's pretty much been my experience. You have to time the stiff arm so that your player's arm becomes fully extended right before the defender reaches you. Don't think you can just use it with big slow backs either, any runner with good str and btk abililty should be able to pull it off.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #11
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24

I use the stiff arm a lot of have a lot of success. I have a sophmore RB now with Northwestern who has 88 break tackle and he is a beast to bring down. When I break outside I always use the stiff arm to switch the ball to the sideline side...then stiffarm whoever tries to hit me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

A big reason the stiff arm doesn't work a lot of times is because the backs carry the ball in the wrong hand sometimes (it should be in the outside hand). So when you hit the stiffarm button, they have to switch ball hands, which takes time.

But it is all about timing to get results. It will basically never work if you just run down the field with the stiff arm button held. You have to time it like a punch almost. You have to extend your arm just as the defender is about to hit you. I have had some decent success with it, although I don't use it all the time. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

I used to think the stiffarm was ineffective, until I realized that you have push and hold the button early (i.e. have the stiffarm extended when the tackler is still a yd or two away). Try it, it works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »