Home

Played a great game of NCAA today...

This is a discussion on Played a great game of NCAA today... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Played a great game of NCAA today...

Is HFA switched on or off with these sliders ?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #18
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

06 has been the most difficult for me to get a good set of sliders compared to years past. Seems like one little tweak from my "base set" throws everything out of whack. That is a little frustrating. However, there are so many cool things about this year's version, it's hard for me to stay away from it for very long. I've had a great time with every version of NCAA since 2003, but I'll agree that EA is due to overhaul this game, b/c even the hardcore fans must be getting a little bored with this series.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

after reading this thread i am starting to realize that the games may be getting too complicated for their own good. i picked up 2003 last summer because it was in a bargain bin for $4 new. it wasnt perfect but better than 2005 which was the last version i played.

i had a lot of fun. it was simple. i couldnt do some stuff i was used to, but i didnt have the frustration of the game not meeting 'realistic standards'. i appreciate what playmaker does, dont get me wrong. i have even posted my own slider sets for a few games.

BUT, to go to the trouble to make a game play right that some of us are now doing is starting to get out of hand. first off, making good slider sets takes a few weeks. weeks where you are not really having "fun". at least, not as much as you could be having. then we sometimes spend another week or 5 'tweaking" again. if you have to do what playmaker does, good lord, by the time you go to all the trouble, you have to turn the game off an go back to bed to get ready for work.

i am starting to just want to buy a game every two years so i can enjoy the game for a while. i am going to do that with ncaa, i think and go re-buy 2004. i did enjoy that better than 2003.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #20
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radja
after reading this thread i am starting to realize that the games may be getting too complicated for their own good.
The problem is major problems with the base set of the game. You shouldn't have to tweak that much but it is required with NCAA 2006. That said, I never felt it was like working. I enjoyed playing the entire time and just kept gradually tweaking along the way.

Heck, aren't you a 2K5 fan? That game required tons of slider work and I still couldn't get the CPU QBs to play anywhere close to acceptable. It was a gamekiller for me but nothing in NCAA became that way for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 6

Just played a game of 2004. It really is a great game. I had 2 drives of over 15 plays and scored a td and fg as i ate up the clock. The cpu qb went 18 of 25 for 240 yards and I won the game 24 v 21. It just has a great flow to it. I don't think the graphics are that bad compared to 06 although the cheerleaders are pretty bad but thats not a game killer. Its also quite fun to play with some of the players from the 04 season. I'm using jistics heisman sliders. I'm going to start a dynasty with this game in the next couple of days and am looking forward to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #22
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Heck, aren't you a 2K5 fan? That game required tons of slider work and I still couldn't get the CPU QBs to play anywhere close to acceptable. It was a gamekiller for me but nothing in NCAA became that way for me.
i prefer 2k hockey & basketball, but in these posts i am talking sports games in general. i was able to get a set, with the help of sportsforever, that worked with nfl 2k5 for me and rspencer tweaked it even more. but nfl 2k5 is a perfect example of my post. it required gobs of slider adjustments.

it took me and him almost a year to get it right. i didnt play it much at first because of the issues you mentioned but i decided to give it one more chance before football season last year and it worked. BUT AGAIN, it took forever for both me, sportsforever and rspencer.

in general, it seems to me the football games the past few years have digressed in fun level below the other sports titles. i played far more college hoops and mlb 2006 and winning eleven individually than all the football games combined.

i think i learned my lesson with baseball last year. i spent a month with mlb 2k5 only to be completely frustrated. i finally bought mlb 2006 and discovered with minimal adjustments it was a far better game. i recently tried mvp 2005 and that game plays well. had i bought either before 2k5, i would have saved myself a month of frustration.

all you have to do is surf the forums to see that the all hoops games need tweaking, while some feel both hockey games were unplayable and all the football have glaring faults, some more than others, that drive a section of people away. are we too picky? are the games too complicated for their own good? where is the happy medium?

just a few years back, we put up with more things. we just played the games we bought. you dealt with stuff that you couldnt fix. now, we sometimes nitpick the littlest thing until that is all we can see.

winning eleven is the only game that i play that is playable out of the box. everything else can be frustrating at first. i wish that developers would follow their example.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #23
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I understand you Radja. With all of the adjustments built into some of these games, the games have become so complex themselves you wonder how any newbies to a game will do. As a kid, games were much simpler and we have evolved with them. You didn't have sliders and just learned to deal with a game that had flaws. You didn't concern yourselves with realistic stats since some games didn't even track them. We as consumers are to blame too. The more we want, the more critical we become.

In any event, I do disagree about the level of sports gaming right now (except for hockey). I'm having a blast with NCAA 2006. MVP Baseball was the first baseball game I bought in years and loved that last year until I got NCAA. I got college hoops 2K6 at Christmas after not having basketball game for 4 years and that is a great game.

What disappoints me though is that a lot of these games are great but going to the new gen systems will take 2 or 3 years just to get the gameplay fixed again. Remember how bad NBA Live was the first few years on the PS2 after being so good on the PS1? Oh well, sometimes its nice to think about the past but the current games are really good.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanuk
Is HFA switched on or off with these sliders ?
I play with HFA off on XBOX. I don't think Playmakers made any recommendations with regards to HFA. IMO, HFA makes for crazy streaks, good or bad. I can get myself out a a bad streak in a game when I'm on the road but the CPU is often doomed if it starts off on a bad foot, especially when it comes to passing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »