Home

Which Version - Poll

This is a discussion on Which Version - Poll within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Xbox or 360 ?
Xbox is the version to get 52 25.49%
360 is the version to get 152 74.51%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Which Version - Poll

It's a tough call that's for sure. I got the 360 version at midnight on the 18th and have played it all week. Today, I traded in some old games and was able to pick up the Xbox version for around $5.00, as I love the series. On one hand you have the Xbox version near the end of it's development cycle, filled to the gills with features and seemingly tuned to near perfection. I was blown away at how much more responsive the controls are and I love the new fielding camera for kickoffs and punts, which is not in the 360 version. Also the amount of plays in the playbooks are much more expansive and team specific than the already robust playbooks found on the 360. On the other hand, you have an updated and new game engine on the 360, which plays a great and looks gorgeous. The 360 version forces you to play the game differently IMO which is a good thing, and seems to be more like the 2K series. Bottom line, I'm glad I have both as they each offer enjoyable but different experiences. I honestly couldn't choose one over the other and am fortunate to be able to own both. I play football games all year so it will be nice for me to have some variety in the college game.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_James
I own the PS2 and Xbox360, played them both don't even have an urge to put the 360 version in anymore, it's going back next trip to eb. The PS2 version has me completely captivated at the moment though. Once there is rosters, look out.
I have the PS2 and 360 version also but im gonna have to go with the 360. Both games are great but playing the Ps2 version on a big screen 480i tv just doesnt look too good. The feel and atmosphere momentum wise in the PS2 game is great but the animations and gameplay of the 360 is great as well. Once the PS2 rosters are out i will play them both.

All NCAA Football 2007 games no matter what system is a good choice.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #35
Rookie

HokieMan's Arena

OVR: 1
Icon10 Re: Which Version - Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman
It's a tough call that's for sure. I got the 360 version at midnight on the 18th and have played it all week. Today, I traded in some old games and was able to pick up the Xbox version for around $5.00, as I love the series. On one hand you have the Xbox version near the end of it's development cycle, filled to the gills with features and seemingly tuned to near perfection. I was blown away at how much more responsive the controls are and I love the new fielding camera for kickoffs and punts, which is not in the 360 version. Also the amount of plays in the playbooks are much more expansive and team specific than the already robust playbooks found on the 360. On the other hand, you have an updated and new game engine on the 360, which plays a great and looks gorgeous. The 360 version forces you to play the game differently IMO which is a good thing, and seems to be more like the 2K series. Bottom line, I'm glad I have both as they each offer enjoyable but different experiences. I honestly couldn't choose one over the other and am fortunate to be able to own both. I play football games all year so it will be nice for me to have some variety in the college game.

I don't have a problem paying $62 for a game, but please tell me the 360 version is better than what I seen in the demo. I have the Xbox version and there is no comparison. Gameplay, graphics, and feel of the game just seems to be much more realistic. Doesn't seem to be choppy like 360 version. I think the Xbox version runs at 60 fp/ sec as the 360 is 30fp/sec.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #36
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

I'd get both if I still had a current gen xbox.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 07-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

honestly doubt 165 people have both systems or have bought both or even played both.

biased poll imo.. people see the game they like and choose it without really reading.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I'd get both if I still had a current gen xbox.
Isnt the XBOX360 backwards compatible or was i really baked when i heard/read that.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:13 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
honestly doubt 165 people have both systems or have bought both or even played both.

biased poll imo.. people see the game they like and choose it without really reading.
Think again, alot of people do have both. There is no denying the 360 version is the overwhelming favorite, as it should be. People post in here that users are voting in the poll to bias toward the 360 because they spent so much money for one but what a joke, if people didn't like the 360 version they'd not bother to vote at all. In my opinion the truth is people that are hyping up the current gen version can't afford the 360 or just haven't chosen to buy it yet is why they are in favor of the current gen. There can be no other reason IMO. Anyone that's played both versions knows the 360 is by far the superior one.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #40
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

I've had both versions of NCAA since last Friday, and I have to say, the more I played the 360 version the less I liked it. Just too many holes in the gameplay, when directly compared to the current gen game. However, if people choose to compare the game to Madden 360, then there is a clear improvement. This might skew some people's opinions, as it would bring about a sense of relief, because NCAA is a finished game that plays ok, unlike Madden 360.

However, compare the current gen and 360 version, and there really is no comparison. Outside of graphics, the current gen version rules.

Next gen positives:

- GORGEOUS game. Just spectacular graphics, jaggies or not.
- Very clean menu screens.
- Playcalling interface is very next gen.
- Smart crowd actually is smart.
- Huge potential for the gameplay engine coupled with the control scheme.

Next gen negatives:

- Mario running is actually worse than before.

- Certain aspects of passing game are almost broken. Hitches that will bring back the receiver a bunch of yards before he turns upfield, sideline passes that unrealistically take the player out of bounds even when the receiver is standing still, db's that jump too high etc.

- Animations are WAY too long. Some of them look great, but inevitably, lead to frustrating moments, like the hitches mentioned above, or running game animations. An example: I ran a HB Slam to the right, met a defender one yard past the line of scrimmage. From here on the game took over and Ihad nothing to do with it. My HB spun off the first defender to the left, picking up another 4 yards with this animation, met another defender, who put my HB in a stumbling animation that lasted another 3 yards, only to be met by a third defender that engaged in a wrapping/dragging tackle animation for another 4 or 5 yards. Result: I had a 12 yard gain or so, not having anything to do with the play after the first yard, as I was holding up and to the right on my analog, while my HB proceeded to "animate" his way to the left. Don't know if you call this gameplay or not.

- Vaccuum tackling and other collision detection issues. The tackling is actually the worst culprit here, as it seems like you have to have a move predetermined in your mind, because about a yard or two before you and a defender actually meet up, you will engage in a tackling animation. Annoying. Collision detection issues seem to creep up a bit in the passing game, where I've had my WR get caught up with a defender for a one-steamboat, two-steamboat count before being able to progress, with no PI call, and Mario running in place with the defender.

- Presentation, though miles ahead of Madden 360, still lacking any atmosphere. You're actually better off turning the announcers off and cranking the crowd to max, as it's been programmed very well and gives you a sense of being there. However, in game presentation is almost non-existent, with limited pre and post-game shows, and no half-time show.

- The 30fps doesn't really become an issue until you play the current gen game and see and feel how smooth that game is. You'll definitely get a different feel for 360 NCAA after that, noticing the minor hiccups alot more.

Current gen positives:

- Gameplay is refined, naturally, with this probably being one of the last current gen NCAA's with significant dev time behind it, and it being the 6th installment on the cuurent gen systems. Everything from the very responsive controls to the different camera angles just give you a better feel than the 360 version.

- Animations. I will not be foolish and say they look better than the 360 game. That's silly. But they definitely have a more realistic football look to them. You'll see alot of ballcarriers being dragged down, catch animations that make sense, and in general animations that don't look out of place. Some of the animations on the 360 game look like the devs didn't consider the angle of attack or where the ball is coming from, whereas the current gen game seems to have animation that make sense.

- Campus Legend Mode. Whether you consider this to be fluff or not, it's still a fun mode to play, with all the mini games you do before hand to everything you have to consider while in the middle of it, it's just pure fun. There's some negatives to this mode as well, which I'll get into below, but it's still cool, IMO to develop a guy that you can later import into the Madden SS Mode, seeing your guy from College to retirement in the pros.

- The expanded playbooks, with all the trick plays, is pretty good. Some work better than others, but it's definitely fun to give them a try.

- The special teams cameras, while somewhat flawed, are still fun. The problem really comes in on Kick/Punt returns, not being able to turn the camera and getting smoked from the side, but it's still fun to be at field level.

- Dynasty Mode is a little deeper with the spring game and all the other refinements they've made to it over the years.

Current gen negatives:

- Heisman difficulty is still super human. This is clearly due to the fact that there's just not enough power in these systems to make the AI smarter on this difficulty level. In order to get a realistic experience, you have to play on AA with some slider tweaks.

- Mario running exists here too, just to a lesser extent than the 360 version.

- Campus Legend Mode. Although it's alot of fun, it still has it's share of problems. The mini games don't determine your skills, they just give you points to distribute any way you'd like. I ran a 4.38 with my QB, but all this did was give me 12 attribute points, not 90 Speed. Naturally, I gave those points to my throwing ability. So even though I ran a 4.38, my player's speed rating is a 52 because I didn't want to spend points on it. I also wish that you could play just your position in this game like you will in Madden. As it is, you control the whole team. Practice STILL sucks, just like it did in Madden 06 SS Mode. I just sim it.

- No half time show here either, but overall the presentation is what you'd expect...pretty good.

- Obviously the graphics pale in comparison to the 360 version, although the player models are more realistically sized than their 360 counterparts.

Now for some things that both games share, good and bad:

- Money plays, like corner routes, are prevalant in both games. (bad)
- Not enough penalties, mainly PI (bad)
- Momentum meter is not overdone, instead seems just right, as teams with momentum aren't superhuman, just seem a little more "focused" (good)
- Kicking meter is awesome. It was time for a change. (good)
- Jump the snap is both good and bad. On Heisman, the AI abuses it and it's an unfair advantage. On AA, though, it seems just right. (good/bad)
- Speed cheating is either non-existant or very minimal. Non-existant on everything below Heisman. (good)
- Interior running game needs work on both versions for different reasons. Current gen can get bogged down at times, while next gen the long animations and vacuum tackling really frustrate on the inside running game.(bad)

That's it for me. I'm sure there's more, but this is just what comes to mind. I hope nobody takes this personally. This is one person's opinion, and one that comes from playing both games extensively. I still believe 2k5 was the best ever, but this year's current gen NCAA is as good as it gets for EA football, and I'm having an absolute blast with it. Enjoy whatever you enjoy, and don't let anyone make you defensive about what you like. That's why there's at least this choice: Exclusivity has taken other developers out of the mix, but not development teams within a company. The two games play very differently, and you will find something to like, no doubt.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »