Home

Any tips on how to get USER picks and defending the pass? (360)

This is a discussion on Any tips on how to get USER picks and defending the pass? (360) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14
Any tips on how to get USER picks and defending the pass? (360)

I'll preface this by letting you know my style of play. I normally play as the free safety and do not switch players while playing defense. I'm having a difficult time getting into position to defend the pass... whether it's because I ran past the point where the ball is intended or stopped short, or whether I jumped (or went for the pick) too soon or too late, in a sense - I just seem to be off target. Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Any tips on how to get USER picks and defending the pass? (360)

You can start holding either the swat or the catch button any time while the ball is in the air and your player will not go into animation until the time is right. So if the comp throws, switch to your defender and start to hold A or Y when the ball is about half way there. Then just concentrate on getting your player to the right position to make a play. When the ball gets there, your player will automaticly make a play on it. It also works as a reciever, just hold the button early and get in position. This has helped me quite a bit.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCajun
You can start holding either the swat or the catch button any time while the ball is in the air and your player will not go into animation until the time is right. So if the comp throws, switch to your defender and start to hold A or Y when the ball is about half way there. Then just concentrate on getting your player to the right position to make a play. When the ball gets there, your player will automaticly make a play on it. It also works as a reciever, just hold the button early and get in position. This has helped me quite a bit.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try this when I get home tonight.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I always play as either safety depending on the situation and although I wont say i'm not error prone I do get a good share of user pics.

What I do is use the strafe alot and try to pay very close attention to any threat to my zone or any open areas on the field if my zone doesnt look like it'll be threatened. If I have a CB that's weak I tend to favor the area he's in more to provide better coverage. I'll stay in backpeddle/strafe until I think I could be beaten deep or if I think I know where the ball is being thrown.

If you think you have a bead on where the ball is being thrown quickly let go of strafe, sprint to the spot and hold the "Y" button.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqs
I always play as either safety depending on the situation and although I wont say i'm not error prone I do get a good share of user pics.

What I do is use the strafe alot and try to pay very close attention to any threat to my zone or any open areas on the field if my zone doesnt look like it'll be threatened. If I have a CB that's weak I tend to favor the area he's in more to provide better coverage. I'll stay in backpeddle/strafe until I think I could be beaten deep or if I think I know where the ball is being thrown.

If you think you have a bead on where the ball is being thrown quickly let go of strafe, sprint to the spot and hold the "Y" button.
Good tip since we tend to play the same style of D. I guess the consensus is to HOLD "Y" (go for pick) or HOLD "A" (defend pass).... as opposed to timing the TAP/PRESS of "Y" or "A" button, which is how I play in the current gen version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Definately use the strafe. Best advice I could give. It will help you in bringing down those picks greatly. It straightens out your DB and gets him in good position to catch the ball.
Minnesota Wild
Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

So on current gen this works also? I can just hold triangle or L1 before the ball gets there and they will do what I need them to do when I need them to do it? Wow.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjphillips
So on current gen this works also? I can just hold triangle or L1 before the ball gets there and they will do what I need them to do when I need them to do it? Wow.
I don't know if this works for the current gen version. I've always timed my tap/press of triangle or L1 on PS2 in order to make the play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »