Home

Momentum meter renders my offense completely helpless

This is a discussion on Momentum meter renders my offense completely helpless within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #33
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Momentum meter renders my offense completely helpless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I like the MM, but I hate it too. The thing I hate about it is the game turns Tecmo Bowlish. I can understand momentum, but the thing I hate about it is, crazy stuff happens. Like ok the defense is in a 335 Nickel. They only rush 3 guys and the G and Tackle consistently let the DE into the backfield unblocked. Step up into the pocket, trying to use the pocket and they still do not block him. They just sorta stand there and look at him. Then there is the ok, just calm down and run the football. I got a 90 overall FB with an 87 run block, he gets outside on the Counter with the Guard and he gets stood up by a 5'10 175 lb cornerback and sometimes pancaked by him. That my friend is a crock of you know what. I still enjoy playing the game alot, but there are some things man.

Exactly. It's as though the opposing team goes to the sidelines and they all shoot roids and adrenaline into their asses.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #34
Rookie

digit4lcowboy's Arena

OVR: 2

I have only played a few games but I kind of like the momemntum meter. College football is all about the excitement and the crowd going crazy, momentum changing, and the 18-22 year old kids getting rattled. College football is known for teams blowing big leads compared to say the NFL. Those guys are used to it more than college kids are. And like somebody mentioned on I think page 1 or 2 of this thread....I also think momentum has always been a part of EA's NCAA football game and this is probably just the first time they gave us a meter to even see it.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I like the MM, but I hate it too. The thing I hate about it is the game turns Tecmo Bowlish. I can understand momentum, but the thing I hate about it is, crazy stuff happens. Like ok the defense is in a 335 Nickel. They only rush 3 guys and the G and Tackle consistently let the DE into the backfield unblocked. Step up into the pocket, trying to use the pocket and they still do not block him. They just sorta stand there and look at him. Then there is the ok, just calm down and run the football. I got a 90 overall FB with an 87 run block, he gets outside on the Counter with the Guard and he gets stood up by a 5'10 175 lb cornerback and sometimes pancaked by him. That my friend is a crock of you know what. I still enjoy playing the game alot, but there are some things man.
That's a good point, but I can honestly say I've seen all that stuff (and more) when the other team doesn't have any momentum, too. I think we're just more apt to notice that stuff when we know they have the momentum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

I like it. Playing as UCLA at Oregon last night I was driving down the filed on my opening drive, they caught me in a blitz and I threw a poor pass that was picked and taken to the house. Oregon's momentum went half way up and on my next drive I played it conservatively and got 3, knocking their momentum down a little. Then I popped their kick returner and got the fumble. Now the momentum is going my way. Next play I hit them with a play action pass for 6 and now I've got all of the momentum. The game went back and forth until their last drive - I'm up 20-16 and they drive it down to the red zone - I get the pick and run out the clock. The only weird thing was they had the momentum on their last drive - as they had stuffed me on 3rd and short and were driving for the apparent win, but when I got the pick with under a minute to go the momentum did not change - it was still half way up for them. No matter since all I had to do was run it out, but I thought that would have been a big swing my way.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #37
Rookie

Tig5309's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycbs
I'm liking the MM, too. The key when the opp has all the mo is to don't panic and don't do stupid stuff like throw into a tight spot. Remember, the entire D (and the entire opp team, for that matter) has a +5 ratings boost. It makes the faster, hit harder, catch better, and play smarter. So you have to play smarter, too. Make safe passes and for god's sake, protect the ball when running. You're way more likely to throw and INT or fumble the ball when the other team has all the mo.

I think it's a challenge dealing with the MM, but it's not an overwhelming one. I like it much better than the HFA.
This can't be said enough. It seems like every game I play well, get down on momentum, and throw a pick trying to force a throw. If i can avoid that and keep the momentum relatively even things play pretty well.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycbs
That's a good point, but I can honestly say I've seen all that stuff (and more) when the other team doesn't have any momentum, too. I think we're just more apt to notice that stuff when we know they have the momentum.
Yeah. I try not to pay too much attention to the meter. i actually wish there was a way to hide it.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #39
Rookie

blaza's Arena

OVR: 6

Momentum is absolutely a factor in real CFB games. How do you think teams get clobbered 70-3, 55-0, etc. When one team has a roll in CFB they can absolutely demolish another.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaza
Momentum is absolutely a factor in real CFB games. How do you think teams get clobbered 70-3, 55-0, etc. When one team has a roll in CFB they can absolutely demolish another.
Yes it is. But so are physics and there is no 170 lb corner that can stand up or flat out pancake a 240 + lbs Fullback.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »