Home

More on momentum

This is a discussion on More on momentum within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: More on momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
I'd like to think EA is that clever, but after 10 years they still haven't figured out a proper fatigue model. What makes you think they've got the momentum meter down after one try?
Based on what I've seen, it's awful so far ... and should have been an option, not mandatory.
Well, you could blindly assume that EA doesn't know their heads from their asses, or you could simply look at the examples I've given you. What makes me think they've got the momentum meter down? I didn't say it was pefect, but I did say that I think it's effected by a lot more than simply scoring points.

Awful? Hardly. You're in the definite minority there, pal.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I think this momentum meter is a lot smarter than everyone thinks.
I agree. While I don't agree with its effects per se (particularly the way every DB turns into Ronnie Lott all of a sudden) the more I play the more I think its movements are generally pretty accurate.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I agree. While I don't agree with its effects per se (particularly the way every DB turns into Ronnie Lott all of a sudden) the more I play the more I think its movements are generally pretty accurate.
I think it's more a case of being like sugar. Great at first but too much leads to a cavity. I know of many cases in real life where a team that is behind gets a big play which leads to a miracle comeback. However, that shouldn't happen every other game. When going too far it becomes bad comeback logic/AI, not just momentum.

It's not as bad as the NFL Blitz series where the computer AI is SUPPOSED to keep the game close...but sometimes it feels like it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #12
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

every body try playin wuth HFA off, Ive notice a hugh diff

EA sports you cant live with them , you cant live without them.

Last edited by Jukeman; 07-30-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I think this momentum meter is a lot smarter than everyone thinks. For example, I took my 5th ranked Tar Heels into West Point to take on Army. Now, normally, if I score on my first drive, be it a field goal or a TD, I'll get a full meter. Well, I drove down field, got stuffed on 3rd and short, and had to settle with a FG to open the game. It was good for only two bars of momentum.

Keep in mind that Army's team is rated MUCH LOWER than mine. In real life, if the 5th ranked team in the country gets stuffed on 3rd and short and has to settle for a FG, the momentum isn't necessarily heavily in their favor. The same was the case for this game.

Like I said, I don't think we've even BEGUN to understand how this momentum meter works. I think it has to do with a lot more than just who scores first.

I agree with you about the momentum meter. I feel that it's properly implemented.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

A lot of it has to do with more than who scores first.....
it is how they scored.
If 1 team just took the ball and methodically moved down the field with every play being positive yardage, no dropped passes, breaking tackles, etc...momentum builds faster. If you had been sacked a few times, had a few penalties, dropped some passes, threw bad passes, got stuffed behind the line on some run plays....then you still scored? Momentum won't be as full.

You also need to factor in teams (rivalry game/conference game, etc...), attendance, crowd noise, etc....

it's more than just who scores first...
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I like it and don't think its too overdone. When the momentum is against you, its really important to try to establish some first downs. Whether that's by grinding it out on the ground or using some ball control passing to settle down the game (avoid sacks or ints). You do have to factor momentum into your strategy throughout the game.

When you start losing and get the momentum all against you, resist the urge to just start chucking up bombs or passing the ball the majority of the time. Stick to your strengths at least until you can get back the control of the game. Another poster had mentioned this last week and I really agree with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2006, 09:34 AM   #16
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Nice post, Rudy. I agree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »