Home

Good Medium Range Passes?

This is a discussion on Good Medium Range Passes? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1

I started playing this video game in February 2006 with two earlier versions. I still am not very proficient stick-wise, but I am getting better. It took me a long time to learn how to pass very well. Now I can throw the flare and the long bomb. But I do not have a consistent medium range passing game.

Can anyone suggest some high percentage medium range pass plays that I could go into practice mode and learn?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Good Medium Range Passes?

Try the three WR play action crosses. You can audible the TE for a quick out for a safety valve, and if the linebackers blitz you have plenty of options over the middle. If they are man you can still complete it since the WR's usually are in better position. The only issue is with hook zones by the LB's, but that's why you have the safety valve (though if the corners are shallow zone it could be a problem).

Quick Pass - Slants are another option!

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4

I love slant passes also. If the safety isn't playing deep, it's got good potential to go all the way if your WR can break a tackle or has the speed to turn the ball upfield quickly. It's also good if you've got 3-4 receivers out as it gives a good shot at single coverage.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Rookie

Beukeboom_23's Arena

OVR: 3

Quick Slants are good.

Shotgun All Curls is good.

I like to run slot crossing patterns out of shotgun alot.

Edit: Mesh routes can be devastating, a couple deep threats, a couple medium range underneath routes, and sometimes 1 safety valve back.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Rookie

Best medium passing play in the game:

Curl Flats out of Singleback 3WR (Sometimes this is called ACE...but i can't remember right now)...aubible the primary reciever (X on Xbox, Square on PS2) to run an in...if their in man he will be open every time...if their in zone...the slot guy (L on the Xbox) will be open after the primary makes his cut...also...i like to max protect by keeping my running back and TE in to block...it cuts down on the number of decisions i have to make, and it gives me more time to view the field...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Rookie

Y'all have given me some good ideas. Thanks, and keep them coming. I am going to try some in practice mode right now!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

This is a pass play that I love to run on first or second down when on the right hash.....I believe it is called "Angle Post" (far left play on the first row in "Shotgun Trey"). It has the back running to the left, the left receiver does a curl and the the inner two recievers on the right do crosses (one deeper than the other) and the far right receiver does an out. If they are in man, I can hit the back for 10-15 or the left receiver for 8-10, depends on how quickly the linebacker gets to the back. If they are in zone, I hit the far right receiver (doing the out) for about 7-10 yards.

I too love the slants, I especially love when I see the safeties blitzing, I know I have any easy 8-10 yards.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooper47
Best medium passing play in the game:

Curl Flats out of Singleback 3WR (Sometimes this is called ACE...but i can't remember right now)...aubible the primary reciever (X on Xbox, Square on PS2) to run an in...if their in man he will be open every time...if their in zone...the slot guy (L on the Xbox) will be open after the primary makes his cut...also...i like to max protect by keeping my running back and TE in to block...it cuts down on the number of decisions i have to make, and it gives me more time to view the field...
I practiced this play out of Ace Spread and it seems pretty good for me. I also found a Curl Flats out of some other formation, maybe flexbone, and it feels very similar.

I also found that if I do not hot route the #1 WR, the original curl route is rather effective too.

As to hot routing RB's to block, that is an awesome idea, overlooked by me, until Cooper recommended it. It makes a tremendous difference in pass protection when my O-line is not consistently getting the job done. I have applied this concept to my long passing plays also.

Thanks, guys. I will continue to go to the practice field with your ideas, see what I can make work, and report back. Keep your great ideas coming, please.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »