Home

Recruiting players with poor discipline

This is a discussion on Recruiting players with poor discipline within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 AM   #9
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Recruiting players with poor discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Bad discipline players don't get your program in that much trouble. I think they hurt your academic prestige more than anything.
Interesting, because I thought a few people have said that awareness effects your academic rating more than anything else. I've not signed anyone with a discipline rating below average in my 3 years at ASU and my academic rating is down to 3 stars. They may be right. While I generally aim for high awareness, I figure low awareness isn't a killer for certain positions (like DT & WRs) so I sign a few of them every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
As for recruiting, it is too easy if you know how to do it but who wants it to be too realistic? People like to take over bad programs and build them up. If recruiting was too hard (realistic), you'd never be able to take that small school to the title. It would be nice if there was a recruiting slider but if you want to make it harder on yourself, just allocate a ton of your points to discipline and training instead of recruiting. That will make it harder.
I think people are missing the point of my original post about using rules to limit my recruiting budget. I'm not going to go through the trouble of digging up the thread listing the rules I'm using, but if you are a lowly 3-star program you can allocate 30% of your budget to recruiting. Its only when you are a 5-star program or better that the rules really get tough (15% for 6 star, 20% for 5 star). The rules are useful so that you can play the game with a team like Ohio State or USC or Florida and still have a challenge. And even limiting my budget to 15% for recruiting at Ohio State, I have still sometimes managed to bring in the #1 class.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 AM   #10
MVP

edmus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Man it's tough recruiting with a bad team. I just started a dynasty with San Jose State. I simmed the 2006 season week by week to handle the in-season recruiting...I got noone. I set my budget to be 33-34-33, recruiting-training-discipline and signed 14 players but I did it with only 25 recruiting points. That was nerve racking.
25 recruiting points per week?!! I'm surprised you could sign anyone. I can't imagine you did much scouting before offering a scholarship with a budget that tiny.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #11
MVP

edmus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Man it's tough recruiting with a bad team. I just started a dynasty with San Jose State. I simmed the 2006 season week by week to handle the in-season recruiting...I got noone.
While I find offseason recruiting pretty easy (with a 5-6 star program), I have lots of trouble with in-season recruiting. I've never signed more than 2 players, and one year I got nobody. Maybe its because ASU isn't an elite program and yet I always aim for 4+ star players during the season. It just seems like generally the in-season 4-star recruits are worse than offseason ones, so I figure 3-star players probably aren't going to help my program. Plus there are no scouting report corrections during in-season recruiting to help you find diamonds in the rough. Now I will recruit 3 & even 2-star players at ASU during the offseason, because sometimes those guys turn out to be much better than their rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #12
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Well, the thing about in-season recruiting is that as far as I can tell it is always their correct stats so there is no need for correction. Also, I'm playing as SJSU right now, recruiting is going to be fun.

My Video Game Streams
Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

You're right edmus, I didn't scout at all. Plus, I didn't raise my points at all. Normally, I increase the points I send once I get the right pitch but with only 25 points I wasn't able to do that.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
Rookie

GatorFan1963's Arena

OVR: 3

Generally I have found that the better my program becomes, I don't really have discipine problems as much. What I mean by that is when I'm playing with a 1 or 2 star program, I have discipline issues all over the place. But the minute my team becomes a contender, I rarely have those problems. So, I'm not going to waste time worrying whether or not a player has good discipline or not. You have to ask yourself if there is a chance to get a guy who physically is a freak, but has discipline problems, are u really going to pass this kid up? If you do pass on him, I'm sure he'll come back and torch you when you play his team the following year.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I do have some simple recruiting guidelines I think:

In-Season
Give each target the same amount of points (even if it means having points left over)

Off-Season
Each week divide the number of targets by the number of points available and you can only offer, at max, that number to any one recruit. If the number you get isn't a standard point value then you have to use the highest value available without going over the amount that you came up with.

If you scout a player then the number of points given cannot exceed the max allotment per player (scouting points + recruiting points = max allotment).

Ex.
I have 7 guys targeted and I have say 95 recruiting points. This tells me that I can offer, at max, 13 (13.57 put I always take the whole number only) points to a recruit.

If I choose to scout said recruit and it costs me 6 points then during this week he can get no more than 7 points. Now, 7 points is not a standard so what he actually gets could be 6 or it could be 4 depending on what is available to you, just so long as you don't go over his allotment.

Last edited by NoleFan; 01-15-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »