Home

Same Jersey Number

This is a discussion on Same Jersey Number within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Same Jersey Number

For a while, one thing I've always been annoyed/frustrated about with the NCAA football franchise is the fact that although many teams issue the the same jersey number to both an offensive player and a defensive player, the game's roster editing simply won't allow for it.

I can certainly see the rationale behind not allowing users to do so (confusion, etc), but I know for a fact that there have been cases where the game ships with two players wearing the same number, so the possibility seems to be there.

This is a minor issue, to be sure, but addressing it in a way that would mitigate issues that arise (not allowing two players on the field at the same time with the same number, for example) would, I believe, certainly enhance the gameplay experience (and not to mention initial roster naming and editing).

As an aside, I would think that any increase in scholarship/roster numbers that EA (potentially) implements in the future would have to be accompanied by a change in the numbering system along these lines, or else it would be quite comical to see your 85 scholarship players + 15 walk ons with numbers going straight from 1 to 00.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Would this simply be too hard to implement without some loopholes being figured out? Or am I simply being a bit too picky?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Same Jersey Number

Last Gen always allowed it prior to last year.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Old 06-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Rookie

Really? I must have totally been off my rocker then. I could have sworn my copy of NCAA 2004 (The last "last gen" game that I really played a lot of dynasty with) didn't allow it.

The more you know...

Do you think it will be implemented in the upcoming next-generation iteration?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

I don't think last gen allowed it. I was never able to give out the same number to two different players. The only time that I saw this is on the default rosters. However, if you edit or create a player the number would not be available if someone else was using it.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaby
As an aside, I would think that any increase in scholarship/roster numbers that EA (potentially) implements in the future would have to be accompanied by a change in the numbering system along these lines, or else it would be quite comical to see your 85 scholarship players + 15 walk ons with numbers going straight from 1 to 00.
What exactly is so comical about it? Most duplicates are redshirting players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

thats kinda true..most are.but look at USC..they have starters on both sides of the ball with this same number on very often.10 is worn by the starting QB and the starting OLB. 7 is worn by the starting WR and CB ,2 is on the starting FS and Backup RB.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

This is something I really hope they have in there, but just don't really make a big deal about telling everyone about it. Why is it so hard to have it on there? Why not just allow each player to have any number you want to give them? I remember playing other sporting games where you would have to change a guy's number you traded for because he would keep his old number and could be a duplicate(EA's MVP baseball had this) so why not have it in NCAA when it makes the most sense?

Just last year I couldnt give UW's starting RB his actual number(8) because a safety also had that number. When Reggie Williams was there he wore #1 and so did a LB named Jafar Williams.... last year Starting QB and a Starting LB wore #4 etc. It has always been very prevelent for UW players to have duplicate numbers and just really seems to be something that isn't quite "in the game" that is a big part of that area of the actual game.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
What exactly is so comical about it? Most duplicates are redshirting players.

While this may be true for some teams, this is definitely not true in someone like Texas' case. You have two potential starters/backups for each jersey number 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.

The comicality would arise from the fact that with 100 players, under the current method of roster editing, you would be unable to change the numbers of your players. As well, you would most certainly see something like a newly recruited QB with a number in the 90's if all of 1-20 have been taken, etc.

Last edited by schwaby; 06-12-2007 at 06:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »