Home

Playstation 3 gamers -with 1081i only t.v.s

This is a discussion on Playstation 3 gamers -with 1081i only t.v.s within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Playstation 3 gamers -with 1081i only t.v.s

Does the game upgrade to 10801 or do you have to play it at 480?

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Playstation 3 gamers -with 1081i only t.v.s

I think it would be 720p.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzoutiger
Does the game upgrade to 10801 or do you have to play it at 480?

thanks

I made a thread on this yesterday and I found out that it will be 480 so I made the move to Best Buy and got a 360 Elite
Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

Thats the main thing that keeps me from buying a PS3 (i own a 360). My set is 1080i, don't have an option for 720p or 1080p.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
MVP

zeroice's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
Thats the main thing that keeps me from buying a PS3 (i own a 360). My set is 1080i, don't have an option for 720p or 1080p.
What type of T.V. do you have. Just look at your T.V.s specs and it tells you what resolution you have. On most HDTV's you have to know what you have. Some T.V.'s HAVE two component outputs, one will give one resolution the other another. The DVI input will give another. Some people are so stuck on what my t.v. WILL REPRODUCE. yOUR T.V. will produce the best resolution it can. I don't know to many sets that are just 1080i, most likely they are 720p (Progressive, which is alot better in terms of speed of objects like in baseball (Reality based) If you see a ball hit at normal speed, there is a difference in the 720p and 1080i (Interlace). However most people donot even see the difference. It is all based on your T.V. i HAVE A ps3 and a XBOX 360...and I have a few T.V.'s one produces 1080p the other 720p..Also within those it does have other resolutions of course. Once you hook up the PS3 AND XBOX 360, IT will tell you what you can and can't do in terms of resolution. It's all on what you like to see.. Most T.V.'S suppport several formats. hdtv's that is.
To answer the question, it's important to understand the difference between 720p vs 1080i. A 720p signal is made up of 720 horizontal lines. Each frame is displayed in its entirety on-screen for 1/30th of a second. This is know as progressive scan (hence the 'p')The quality is like watching 30 photographic images a second on TV. A 1080i signal comprises 1080 horizontal lines but all the lines are not displayed on-screen simultaneously. Instead, they are interlaced (hence the 'i'), ie every other lines is displayed for 1/60th of a second and then the alternate lines are displayed for 1/60th of a second. So, the frame rate is still 30 frames per second, but each frame is split into two fields, which your brain then puts together subconsciously.

Most of the time interlacing works fine, but for fast moving images, such as sports like baseball and hockey it can cause problems which manifest themselves as a 'stepping' effect on-screen. Progressive scan signals don't have this problem and so are better suited to sports. (Like I mentioned earlier)

ESPN puts it like this: 'Progressive scan technology produces better images for the fast moving orientation of sports television. Simply put, with 104 mph fastballs in baseball and 120 mph shots on goal in hockey, the line-by-line basis of progressive scan technology better captures the inherent fast action of sports. For ESPN, progressive scan technology makes perfect sense.

Now there are many articles on this issue, just make sure you know what your T.V. can produce, one can also alter the T.V.S settings if you have the service code, each t.v. has this code. You will not find this code in your manual, but you can get it from the manufactured (Not the T.V. SETTINGS) The service settings, most cable guys or T.V. REPAIRMEN have a sheet that might have each T.V.S personal code. Well that enough of this longwindedness. I have tried to address your question by answering it without going into too much detail. It may seem like alot, but it really isn't. I just touched the surface.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Thanks much for taking the time to write such an informative response!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroice
I don't know to many sets that are just 1080i, most likely they are 720p (Progressive, which is alot better in terms of speed of objects like in baseball (Reality based)
Actually, I think most CRT HDTV's can't take a 720p signal. If your PS3 is outputting a progressive scan you will see jibberish on most CRTs. It won't be able to do anything with it.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

I have the old Sony Wega CRT set, one of the first HD tv's. I know my set well, and it doesn't do 720p.....period. Broadcast that are 720p are upscaled to 1080i but the PS3 can't do this.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »