Home

How many recruits a year should I be taking in?

This is a discussion on How many recruits a year should I be taking in? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #17
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: How many recruits a year should I be taking in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
I don't cut anyone but walk ons, so I take in about 15-18 a year.
This is exactly how I play my dynasties. I try to recruit just enough so that I replace the departed. If I over recruit I would rather cut a recruit than cut an already existing scholarship player. This seems more realistic to me and also doesn't make the game super easy. Walk-ons get cut if they don't measure up though.

Slightly off topic, but I would love it if your integrity rating takes a hit when you cut scholarship players. Then I probably would take chances with cutting a scholie player here and there to make room for over recruiting stud recruits.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 7

I actually cut JR and SR that are buried on the depth chart instead of incoming recruits that may have a future. I had to make 8 cuts after year 1 of my Miami dynasty and it was pretty tough. I think I ended up cutting 3 incoming freshman though, but guys that I recruited as insurance in case I didn't land a **** or a *****.
I regret cutting a *** QB instead of a ** FB though and I wish I could have that one back.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #19
Rookie

frago's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyCane

Slightly off topic, but I would love it if your integrity rating takes a hit when you cut scholarship players. Then I probably would take chances with cutting a scholie player here and there to make room for over recruiting stud recruits.
Oh geez thanks for telling me lol. I must be seen as a monster, no realised this.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeRoberts
definitely don't talk to everyone every week, but i have noticed that i can offer more schollies than i have ?!? anyone else? i think at that point maybe your ranking decides which ones go out... for example i had 22 recruits by the final week, and i had a 3-star TE ranked 1st followed by four DEs that were 2- to 4- stars, hoping that i would get the TE and two of those four DEs... i only got the TE, but was able to offer schollies as far down on my list as the safeties at 7 or 8 or something...
Yeah you are supposed to offer more scholarships than you have. that's how real recruiting works because if, say you have 25 scholarships, and only offer 25 recruits, you arent going to get each one of the 25 you offered which would leave you with scholarships to burn. Offer shcholarships to as many people as you want and whoever commits first gets the scholarship. Once you reach 25, the class is full and the other recruits will have to look elsewhere. Also, if you have a top tier team (Miami, USC etc) and are targeting all 35 players on your recruiting board, i would only offer scholarships to the 4 and 5 star players. For anything below that, let them visit and call them but dont offer the scholarship as they might accept and take up a spot you could have given to a better player
Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2smooth
Also, if you have a top tier team (Miami, USC etc) and are targeting all 35 players on your recruiting board, i would only offer scholarships to the 4 and 5 star players. For anything below that, let them visit and call them but dont offer the scholarship as they might accept and take up a spot you could have given to a better player
Definitely good advice... I even do this with my lowly 1 and 2 star schools...

Usually I build my list at the start of the season exclusively from interested prospects, even if that means i only have like 3 or 4 3-stars and the rest 2-stars... as i make calls week to week i start removing some of the guys who either a.) aren't that good or b.) have my school ranked low (6-10), then add some "projects" by looking through the database or search results for prospects who have no offers yet... i picked up a 4* DE who wasn't on my list until week 8 or 9 of the season, and also got a couple 3*s to come out to SJSU from FL during the offseason!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

For guys who don't have a lot of time to recruit. I'm playing a season with Ball State. During the preseason I pick my 35 prospects and rank them, after that I let the computer do all the recruiting. I ended up with 7 guys during the inseason (all 2*) and in the offseason ended up signing 15 more. The computer did all my recruiting and I ended up with the 90th class. To me its pretty realistic considering I was Ball State. Plus it keeps it difficult to get real good real quick.

Just something maybe some of you who are like me and don't have the time to go through all the recruiting to look at. I still after every week look at my prospects too see where I stand but other than that the computer does all the work.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

I got 25 schollies, I try to use them all on my guys that I recruit. I think i'm going to have an average recruiting season in year 1. Going into year 2, i'm going to know what i'm doing. I've been cheesing it up a bit. I go through and find 2 "very highs" and the "most" important pitches, write that down for each recruit and back out of my dynasty and pitch the most important things correctly the first time instead of wasting all my hours or having guys hang up on me.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #24
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMiss2000
I got 25 schollies, I try to use them all on my guys that I recruit. I think i'm going to have an average recruiting season in year 1. Going into year 2, i'm going to know what i'm doing. I've been cheesing it up a bit. I go through and find 2 "very highs" and the "most" important pitches, write that down for each recruit and back out of my dynasty and pitch the most important things correctly the first time instead of wasting all my hours or having guys hang up on me.
I do that to man, a lot of times it's the only way to not have hours wasted. I've seen it take upwards of an hour just to find one pitch. How hard is to ask "Is playing time a big priority for you?" "yes/no."

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »