Home

Funny how EA tried to stop roster sharing.......

This is a discussion on Funny how EA tried to stop roster sharing....... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 62
Funny how EA tried to stop roster sharing.......

But ESPN uses the game to simulate match ups and refers to the players by name. Obviously EA uses this for advertising and loves the attention, but it is pretty ironic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Funny how EA tried to stop roster sharing.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
But ESPN uses the game to simulate match ups and refers to the players by name. Obviously EA uses this for advertising and loves the attention, but it is pretty ironic.
Everyone including EA and ESPN knows who the players are though, they just can't include them in the game because then it would be a direct rules violation.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Banned

Funny then how the NCAA won't allow that isn't it. ESPN can use the game, air it to millions of people and potential EA customers and refer to the players by name, but for some reason EA can't put the real names in.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Captain Sarcastic

OVR: 6

How did EA try to stop roster sharing? I haven't heard of this.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
MVP

Assassin's Arena

OVR: 6

The only thing I've heard about people trying to stop roster sharing was on the 360. And that was microsoft's doing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Funny then how the NCAA won't allow that isn't it. ESPN can use the game, air it to millions of people and potential EA customers and refer to the players by name, but for some reason EA can't put the real names in.
Because ESPN is a media venue which is reporting. EA is a company who is making a tangible item that is sold to consumers. That is the difference why ESPN can say the names on broadcasts and EA cannot input them into the game.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Because ESPN is a media venue which is reporting. EA is a company who is making a tangible item that is sold to consumers. That is the difference why ESPN can say the names on broadcasts and EA cannot input them into the game.
Lets call a horse a horse though, EA is going to make money off of the NCAA, they pay NCAA for that right. ESPN pays for the right to air NCAA games as well. As such, both are making their profits off of the players, their names, and their likenesses. It is hypocrisy that EA can't use real player names, at least for those who are not an incoming recruit for various reasons.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
The only thing I've heard about people trying to stop roster sharing was on the 360. And that was microsoft's doing.
Yep the PS3 had no roster sharing issues with the game like the 360 had. So I think it's safe to assume that the issues on 360 were related to Microsoft's crackdown on file sharing in general and not EA trying to prevent roster sharing.

In fact, roster sharing is beneficial to EA so I can't see them deciding to prevent it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »