Home

Question on Passing (360) - Corner Routes

This is a discussion on Question on Passing (360) - Corner Routes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41
Question on Passing (360) - Corner Routes

This is my first attempt at next gen and ive been trying some different sliders on AA and Heisman but am having trouble. I play as FSU, so i have a pretty big weapon in Greg Carr at WR. But i cant seem to throw the corner route at all, and im not talking about every play. I work the flats and crossing routes, but if i call a play with him taking the corner with 1 on 1 coverage, i feel like thats a mismatch in my favor. I sit in the pocket (bc i dont wanna roll out or start doing that cheesy stuff where i cut off half the field), step up, lob the ball (which goes higher than i want, wish you could find a happy medium between bullet and balloon) and the DB skies and knocks it down. If i throw a bullet its picked 80% of the time.

I know the obvious reaction is either A) i suck B) the INT's are broken or C) dont throw corner routes. I dont feel i should have to leave corner routes out as they are a part of a gameplan, im not abusing them, and i dont throw that route exclusively and truth be told, i dont suck, im an average player probably. I understand football, i understand video games, im not throwing on the run, or across the field, btu am sitting in the piocket and using the lead passing to go high and away from the DB.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Question on Passing (360) - Corner Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
This is my first attempt at next gen and ive been trying some different sliders on AA and Heisman but am having trouble. I play as FSU, so i have a pretty big weapon in Greg Carr at WR. But i cant seem to throw the corner route at all, and im not talking about every play. I work the flats and crossing routes, but if i call a play with him taking the corner with 1 on 1 coverage, i feel like thats a mismatch in my favor. I sit in the pocket (bc i dont wanna roll out or start doing that cheesy stuff where i cut off half the field), step up, lob the ball (which goes higher than i want, wish you could find a happy medium between bullet and balloon) and the DB skies and knocks it down. If i throw a bullet its picked 80% of the time.

I know the obvious reaction is either A) i suck B) the INT's are broken or C) dont throw corner routes. I dont feel i should have to leave corner routes out as they are a part of a gameplan, im not abusing them, and i dont throw that route exclusively and truth be told, i dont suck, im an average player probably. I understand football, i understand video games, im not throwing on the run, or across the field, btu am sitting in the piocket and using the lead passing to go high and away from the DB.

Thoughts?
I have success with the corner route when my WR isn't beating the DB down field but rather when the DB is considerably to the INSIDE of him so I can push my controls (when I pass) towards the sidelines and get the ball to him that way. My WR's body will help shield the DB from the pass and then when you catch it, push UP (truck stick) and maybe that big WR will break a tackle and take it to the house! Good luck and be patient, I just figured out when and how to throw these the other day after nearly giving up on the deep ball all together.

BTW, on post routes I want my guy to actually have a step on the defender if in man but always the defender to his back side of the route just like the corner except I will LEAD the post more up field again using the body of the WR to shield the defender off. Takes time to get these down. Vs cover 2 zone I am just reading the inside LBs. If the stay short I will lob the post over their heads. If they drop back to take the post I will hit anything short and over the middle that I have which will suck them up for future post routes.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

It could just be im picking the wrong time to throw these routes, but ive gone into practice and attempted the corner route without the defense to get the timing down and then with the D to see how it works. Ive tried under and overthrowing, inside and outside passing and seem to have very little success unlses i roll out, which i dont ever do unless the pocket collapses that way.

It might just need more practice time, but i do know last nite against North Texas, as FSU, i had Greg Carr against a 5'9" CB, and i threw a high lob to the sideline with the Db in trailing technique and he hopped on his trampoline and swatted. I know the WR logic is broken since they dont fight for any passes, but that frustrated me konwing that in real life, Carr brings that down on a decent throw 75% of the time. On a lob to the sideline with the DB behind him, that ball should be 2-3 yards away from the DB at worst....
Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Well you have to understand that even if it's 1 on 1 coverage, it's not always open. If the CB is RIGHT on your WR, don't throw it. Either look for your RB in the flat to dump it off, or to anther WR if you have time. But if your WR is a step or two in front of the CB, you probably have a 65% chance of completing it.

It sucks, yeah, but that's just how it is. Hopefully next year if you have a tall WR matched up against a little guy, there will be more of an advantage.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

On ething to remember too is to make sure your QB has his feet set when you throw. Also check the arm strength of your QB, that can cause a problem throwing those routes as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

I know on the PS3 I hit L2 and the icon of the receiver to bring up the passing cone then I put enough touch on the ball to get it to the receiver. Might want to try the vision cone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »