Home

How to stop triple option?

This is a discussion on How to stop triple option? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
How to stop triple option?

I played someone online who only runs one play, the triple option from the goal line formation. No matter what I tried to do, I could not stop him. I tried QB spies, I tried blitzing safties, blitzing corners, but for some reason he ALWAYS got to the corner faster than me. Does anybody have a strategy for cheesers like that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Rookie

shadowman's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How to stop triple option?

Why is that cheese? Have you ever seen Navy play? The triple option is just about all they ever run.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman
Why is that cheese? Have you ever seen Navy play? The triple option is just about all they ever run.
It's cheese because it's way too effective in the game.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15

Depends on what team you're using. Your best bet is to run something like a 4-3 weak or strong, a 4-4 or a 4-6 defense. spread your defensive line occasionally. alternate spreading and pinching your linebackers. press with your corners. run a 5-2 and hot route your defensive ends to cover the flats. you might have success running a 3-3-5, or 4-2-5 with lots of blitzes mixed in. with the option, your best bet is to just get a hat on the ballcarrier, don't try to hitstick them since you're in space, and then hope the rest of your guys get up on the ballcarrier.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
stewaat

OVR:

5-2 blitz. You'll fly through the line and stuff them.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman
Not true. The triple option he is talking about is from the Goal line I Formation, the one that is run sparingly by most teams in the country.

Navy runs a triple option from the Flexbone, which is not overpowered in this game.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

It's is not cheesing at all. You could not stop it, so why should he stop running it? It isn't like hes picking a passing play without a designed roll out, and rolling out and scrambling the whole game...

But to answer your question you need to mix it up.
Use variations of the 4-3, 5-2, 4-4 and 4-6 and run alot of cover two. In cover two your corners are responsible for the pitch man. So control your corner and come down and force the QB back inside as well as watch the pitch man. Adjust your lineman to crash from the outside, and spread your linebackers. Play the MLB as a QB Spy.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

It is cheese. I'm a big fan of Navy's offense in real life, and a fan of option football in general, but on the game it's way over-effective. The defense is totally undisciplined and like 9 guys bite on the fake to the FB, and then the QB can fire off a perfect pitch from 6 inches off the ground. Somebody said something about playing a cover 2 zone, but that doesn't work, because the CB will leave the flat and go to try and tackle the FB. You can't manually control the CB, because the safety doesn't come and fill the alley to take away the QB, plus you then have no ability to defend a play if they go to the other side of the field. You can't spread the line and the linebackers, or the fullback will get HUGE yards up the middle.

The play is broken.

BTW, it should be clarified that this is on the next-gen systems, not the PS2/XBox.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »