Home

Will EA EVER

This is a discussion on Will EA EVER within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #41
Rookie

twisted88's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Will EA EVER

I’ve been reading through a lot of these threads and just wanted to put in my 2 cents on the whole EA sucks mentality. First off let me just say that I was pretty dissatisfied with 08 on the 360 last year. I have been purchasing NCAA every year since 04 and plan on buying 09 as well on day one. I am simply a college sports addict, far more than professional sports. So college hoops, football, hockey, badminton or whatever I just enjoy the whole college thing. As far as 08 goes, as I said I was disappointed in it, but I definitely didn’t think it was the worst game ever produced. I have voiced my complaints about certain features not being included in the next gen games that were in the previous versions, so by no means am I an EA “fan boy”.

With that said, you know who I blame when it comes to my enjoyment, or lack thereof, of a game? Myself. As a consumer, I decide whether or not I’m going to purchase a product. Regardless of who has the exclusive licenses, or more marketing power, etc. I made a choice to buy the product and shame on me if I didn’t take the time to research (check reviews, forums, etc.) or do any testing (rent the game) before I bought it. No matter how much hype or advertising went into selling the game, I am pretty confident EA didn’t force any one of us into buying it. We made a choice, and when it didn’t turn out how we hoped, some need to blame someone and the easiest target is good ole EA. The reality is that EA is no different than almost every company out there. There main job to shareholders, employees, management and so on is to increase profits. That’s it. We would like to believe that they have some moral obligation to protect the “integrity of the game” since they do have the exclusive rights, but they really don’t. I’ve seen some mention of suing EA for false advertising. Good luck with that! What they do is what every commercial, billboard, movie trailer does and that is try to show their product in the best possible light. How many times have you seen a movie trailer that made the movie look like the coolest thing only to go see it and at the end think ‘that was the dumbest movie I’ve seen in a while’? Do you run right to your lawyer’s office to file a lawsuit against the movie studio or actors? I would hope not. The point is, of course they are going to hype their product like it is the best thing to come along, but it’s still our decision as consumers to buy into it or not. If it doesn’t live up to our personal expectations, then hopefully we’ll be a little more careful the next time.

Lastly I just wanted to make comment on this whole “the game is crap how can you like it” argument. The short answer is, because many people have different opinions on things. I’m not sure who you are trying to convince with this argument. Country Boy, along with many others, enjoyed 08. Some thought it was terrible. Personally, I’m somewhere in the middle. I did not enjoy it as much as some previous versions, but I also didn’t think it was absolutely terrible either. Different strokes for different folks I guess you could say. My point is, there are many differing opinions on this game, but does that make any one opinion more/less valid because of my opinion? NO, that’s why they are called opinions and one of the reasons I joined OS. I liked the fact that the vast majority of everyone here has different opinion on things, even if it’s only slight sometimes. In addition, it seems that for the most part, those different views can be discussed and debated without it turning into a childish name-calling contest. (very refreshing change from some of the other forums I’ve been on!)

I apologize for the long rant, but I just joined about a month ago and wanted to get my money’s worth early!!

……exit stage left
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #42
Rookie

Jethown's Arena

OVR: 5

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #43
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted88
I’ve been reading through a lot of these threads and just wanted to put in my 2 cents on the whole EA sucks mentality. First off let me just say that I was pretty dissatisfied with 08 on the 360 last year. I have been purchasing NCAA every year since 04 and plan on buying 09 as well on day one. I am simply a college sports addict, far more than professional sports. So college hoops, football, hockey, badminton or whatever I just enjoy the whole college thing. As far as 08 goes, as I said I was disappointed in it, but I definitely didn’t think it was the worst game ever produced. I have voiced my complaints about certain features not being included in the next gen games that were in the previous versions, so by no means am I an EA “fan boy”.

With that said, you know who I blame when it comes to my enjoyment, or lack thereof, of a game? Myself. As a consumer, I decide whether or not I’m going to purchase a product. Regardless of who has the exclusive licenses, or more marketing power, etc. I made a choice to buy the product and shame on me if I didn’t take the time to research (check reviews, forums, etc.) or do any testing (rent the game) before I bought it. No matter how much hype or advertising went into selling the game, I am pretty confident EA didn’t force any one of us into buying it. We made a choice, and when it didn’t turn out how we hoped, some need to blame someone and the easiest target is good ole EA. The reality is that EA is no different than almost every company out there. There main job to shareholders, employees, management and so on is to increase profits. That’s it. We would like to believe that they have some moral obligation to protect the “integrity of the game” since they do have the exclusive rights, but they really don’t. I’ve seen some mention of suing EA for false advertising. Good luck with that! What they do is what every commercial, billboard, movie trailer does and that is try to show their product in the best possible light. How many times have you seen a movie trailer that made the movie look like the coolest thing only to go see it and at the end think ‘that was the dumbest movie I’ve seen in a while’? Do you run right to your lawyer’s office to file a lawsuit against the movie studio or actors? I would hope not. The point is, of course they are going to hype their product like it is the best thing to come along, but it’s still our decision as consumers to buy into it or not. If it doesn’t live up to our personal expectations, then hopefully we’ll be a little more careful the next time.

Lastly I just wanted to make comment on this whole “the game is crap how can you like it” argument. The short answer is, because many people have different opinions on things. I’m not sure who you are trying to convince with this argument. Country Boy, along with many others, enjoyed 08. Some thought it was terrible. Personally, I’m somewhere in the middle. I did not enjoy it as much as some previous versions, but I also didn’t think it was absolutely terrible either. Different strokes for different folks I guess you could say. My point is, there are many differing opinions on this game, but does that make any one opinion more/less valid because of my opinion? NO, that’s why they are called opinions and one of the reasons I joined OS. I liked the fact that the vast majority of everyone here has different opinion on things, even if it’s only slight sometimes. In addition, it seems that for the most part, those different views can be discussed and debated without it turning into a childish name-calling contest. (very refreshing change from some of the other forums I’ve been on!)

I apologize for the long rant, but I just joined about a month ago and wanted to get my money’s worth early!!

……exit stage left
I was mostly shocked that he enjoyed the game. I said his opinion was just as good as mine and apologized if I came across the wrong way. I agree with your post.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #44
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
You're right, this game is crap...I'm glad you've managed to already plan NCAA 09.
I haven't said anything about '09. I've been talking about '08 this whole time.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #45
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I think the game is crap. That's evident. The game is missing features from last-gen.
Agreed.
Quote:
It's dumbed-down. I don't see how you like it so much. You like it. No big deal.
You say no big deal, but can't get over the fact that I like it.

Quote:
Once again, if you take those as back-handed insults, you're taking it all wrong. Screw it. You and O-Dogg can have each other.
So, how am I supposed to take the last comment?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #46
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't understand the "NCAA is the only choice" argument people are throwing out there for why the next gen NCAA games are struggling. It's been that way since Bill Walsh. With the exception of 2 seasons(?) of crappy NCAA 2k this game has been all alone in the college football market. On PS2 and Xbox w/ no competition whatsoever it produced quality football. This gen (also w/ no competition) it's been pretty crappy.

It doesn't have anything to do with competition. It has to do with development - or lack thereof. The game has not progressed enough on next gen.

Blame it on the outdated engine and/or a shift in gameplay focus.

Save the competition arguments (or lack of) for the Madden/2k forum. It's moot for NCAA football as far as EA is concerned.

Last edited by umd; 05-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #47
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Agreed.

You say no big deal, but can't get over the fact that I like it.

So, how am I supposed to take the last comment?
I'm over the fact that you like it. I just don't understand what's so great. It is no big deal. I just don't understand why you like it so well. It's fine. I just get sick of you questioning everything and making it out to be more than it is. That's why I said screw it. Ya'll keep making it more. I've tried to say agree to disagree and it's fine. You keep saying I'm insulting you. After a while of you acting defensive, and not letting this go, it pisses me off. Let it go.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #48
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
I'm over the fact that you like it. I just don't understand what's so great. It is no big deal. I just don't understand why you like it so well. It's fine. I just get sick of you questioning everything and making it out to be more than it is. That's why I said screw it. Ya'll keep making it more. I've tried to say agree to disagree and it's fine. You keep saying I'm insulting you. After a while of you acting defensive, and not letting this go, it pisses me off. Let it go.
But thats what I didn't get. Why do I have to explain why I liked the game?

But it doesn't matter. You have your opinion, I have mine and as you said, we'll agree to disagree.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 05-01-2008 at 11:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »