Home

Crowd

This is a discussion on Crowd within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #25
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan1963
You are right...not everyone has the same opinion, but there were certain things we have come to expect just from playing the old PS2/Xbox versions.
Sure. But that is a double edged sword. Without it, we get hit for not having old features. We add it, and then we get hit for bringing back old features and calling them new.

It isn't a matter of turning on the chain gang. There is a lot of work that goes into putting them there. That is judged against other features and whatever makes the game better will win out. It is the nature of the beast.

As far as all the stadiums... we would need something like 140 unique environments to make it complete. I wish I was at the office cause I got the lead environment artist to give me a list of all that needs to be done and how long everything takes in layman's terms to post here. I take that back, I DON'T wish I was at work! It is 10:40 on a Saturday night and I just got finished with being at work at this time every week! I'll try to remember to post it here on Monday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingmgt
That last post came out wrong Adam Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I'll try again: I think most people do share the same letdown when it comes to the atmosphere and presentation in this title. It's just taken steps backwards instead of forward and that's difficult for us. I'm sure you guys are working hard, but we just EXPECT so much more from a college football title. College football is so special BECAUSE of the atmosphere. Period. That's what makes it what it is.
I 100% agree stingmgt - NCAA needs a HUGE boost in presentation...it's missing a lot in that respect and the whole cheerleaders thing - well bad idea. At least hitting square this year and celebrating with our teammates is an option, that's a great option.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Depth of field is something we can do and is not cheap. Still, I don't think it will effect on how the crowds look. We could do camera pans of the crowd with "hero" characters. This is what we do with the cheerleaders. The ones you see on the sideline as you are playing are completely different cheerleaders than the detailed ones you see in the cut scenes.

But the devs are loathe to try to put much time into the fans because that takes time away from getting say a ref on the field. What it will come down to is some sort of tech or brilliant idea that nobody has thought of yet to increase resolution without an impact on performance.

That is one of the things that happened this year. Our sideline characters have been HORRIBLE. Some rocket scientist came up with an idea on how we could pack the sidelines with better looking players and a lot more of them than what we had. Guess what really sold this? It actually used LESS system resources than the old ones which helped us to improve the field and get PS3 up to 60 fps.
I'd much rather have to sound of the crowd be more spot on(cheering louder at appropriate times, stadium specific chants, booing etc...) than the look of the crowd.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #28
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingmgt
That last post came out wrong Adam Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I'll try again: I think most people do share the same letdown when it comes to the atmosphere and presentation in this title. It's just taken steps backwards instead of forward and that's difficult for us. I'm sure you guys are working hard, but we just EXPECT so much more from a college football title. College football is so special BECAUSE of the atmosphere. Period. That's what makes it what it is.
We know. We try to improve atmosphere every year, but we also want to get new features. So cheerleaders weren't an improvement? I'm sorry you don't feel that way. We had more, including entrances, that had to go away in order to finish the game on time.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #29
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Stars
I'd much rather have to sound of the crowd be more spot on(cheering louder at appropriate times, stadium specific chants, booing etc...) than the look of the crowd.
We added that this year. It is a system called Character Logic. I can't promise it is spot on because I'd email the guy in charge of the feature to say "I just took a knee to win the game and the home crowd booed me." Then he'd email me back with a nasty comment on our testers and fix it. Hopefully that got ironed out this year.

If you hear a situation where the crowd reacts wrong this year, send me a PM. I think I am going to be in charge of Character Logic this year.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
We added that this year. It is a system called Character Logic. I can't promise it is spot on because I'd email the guy in charge of the feature to say "I just took a knee to win the game and the home crowd booed me." Then he'd email me back with a nasty comment on our testers and fix it. Hopefully that got ironed out this year.

If you hear a situation where the crowd reacts wrong this year, send me a PM. I think I am going to be in charge of Character Logic this year.
Can't wait to see it in action. I'll let you know if anything is wrong. Hopefully you won't get a pm from me on that!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
We know. We try to improve atmosphere every year, but we also want to get new features. So cheerleaders weren't an improvement? I'm sorry you don't feel that way. We had more, including entrances, that had to go away in order to finish the game on time.
Adam, you know I love EA and I really defend you guys but honestly i'm caught out of left field on this one, why would you think we would love cheerleaders as a presentation improvement? I mean I am just baffled you would think that a bunch of hardcore football guys would see cheerleader cut scenes and say "yeah that's what the game needed". Honestly man where are the cut scenes of the head coach after a big play, the RB who just fumbled, the team celebrating together after a huge turnover, stuff like that? Cheerleaders don't cut it dude. And I'm not sure it's even a good start IMO.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #32
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Umm...I actually kinda like the cheerleader cut scenes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »