Home

Psychological phenomenon going on here

This is a discussion on Psychological phenomenon going on here within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Psychological phenomenon going on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
I agree with the new psychological phenomenon thing.

I have never seen so much blind scrutiny, blind praise. The feeling of entitlement because someone's forked over $60. The willingness the defend something you enjoy. The hate. The love.

Maybe a new cultural phenomenon is happening.

ps. someone should do a clinical research on this or something. might be quite interesting.
I would hardly call it entitlement to expect a $60 game to not break features that have been in there for years. Roster editing is a major feature if you're a die hard fan. If you play the CPU, sliders are key to gain more realism. Dynasties should be able to keep the scheduling straight for conferences, and not revert to 2007 schedules.

I'm sorry, but it's hardly entitlement to expect a product you buy to work as advertised, whether you paid $6 or $60 for it.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Rookie

Jmustang1968's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekboy
They should give this a clinical name and it should be put into medical dictionaries.

Every year before the release of EA's NCAA there is pre release hype. People that get a preview of the game talk about this and that but how the game is improved. There is the standard little criticism here or there. This should be tweaked, that should be tweaked but over all a better game than last years.

The game is released and at first wildly praised. Then slowly but surely the criticisms and the standard comparision to 2K. Then the argument threads. Those that are happy and say quit bitching and those that keep bitching.

Look at all the other sport gaming threads. It's the same vicious cycle. Like lemmings we continue to shell out the bucks and some of us just accept the inevitable and some cry out to sue EA.

I do have to say that this year does seem more vitriolic than previous years.

It does seem that much of the game is broken and there are countless threads to prove it.
Sliders don't work at all, roster problems, no pass rush and on and on. This isn't your normal 'the game doesn't feel real' complaints. These are glaring flaws and it's getting worse it seems.

But EA seems to get away with it because the game 'LOOKS AWESOME.'

Oh well, I'm one of the lemmings like the rest and am now sitting with my game that was released two days ago and now I have to wait another five to ten days for a roster patch.

I also have to sign up to Xbox Live to get the patch.

I guess I'll keep jumping hoops year after year with this game until the NFL and the NCAA decide to do the right thing and not sell their license to one company exclusively.

God forbid doing that because it would force competition which is great for us that shell out over $60 every year that get duped time and time again.
You forgot about the same old competition cliche thats used in about every post... forgot that one... thats so overused and something that I dont even feel is all that accurate.

If there actually was competition now, we wouldnt be able to get the level of interaction with the devs for the issues we have and to help get the game the way we want it. Even before the licensing, there wasn't heated competition. Other football games sales paled in comparison to Madden/NCAA.

Same tired rant about the the easy to use and trendy 'lack of competition' argument gets old
Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 8

The game has its problems to be sure, but after playing multiple games, I actually like it quite a bit.

The fact that the CPU's QB is very accurate and good with their passing if anything helps the game, because usually the CPU is terrible passing and isn't effective at moving the ball. I actually think it helps the balance of the game. I think everyone is just so used to shutting down the CPU with ease and now that they're actually being challenged a little bit, they see it as a problem. I personally like it.

And besides I played a game last night, Notre Dame vs Arizona State, and the final score was 16-10. (I won as ND) Only one offensive touchdown in the entire game. I haven't played many games of NCAA with the vanilla sliders/AA difficulty setting that was that low scoring, that close, and actually felt like the CPU was in the game the whole time. And I also got pressure on the QB in this game just fine, I had 3 sacks and got pretty good pressure on the QB. And I play a 3-4 defense and rarely ever call big blitzes.

Now I feel that if the teams were reversed and I was ASU, I probably would have won by 2-3 TD's (hurts to say tha as a HUGE ND fan, but probably true as the ratings go) But that's the way it's supposed to be, the good teams are supposed to win comfortably and the lower rated teams are supposed to struggle.

All I ever really want out of this game is to enjoy myself while playing it and have some semblance of a challenge. When I win every game by 4+ TD's, that's not fun to me. And I have yet to experience a big time blowout in this game, so I guess that's a plus.

Sure, there are problems, but there always will be. But I think as far as this series goes, this is definitely the best in the series in quite some time. We just live in an age where people can instantly go on the internet and complain about issues that come up. Everyone who played video games from the NES to the Playstation 1 could just play and enjoy them without all of this wild internet conjecture. It's just a part of technology. We can do more, but more can also go wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmustang1968
You forgot about the same old competition cliche thats used in about every post... forgot that one... thats so overused and something that I dont even feel is all that accurate.

If there actually was competition now, we wouldnt be able to get the level of interaction with the devs for the issues we have and to help get the game the way we want it. Even before the licensing, there wasn't heated competition. Other football games sales paled in comparison to Madden/NCAA.

Same tired rant about the the easy to use and trendy 'lack of competition' argument gets old
So are we concerned about sales or quality? Look at what NBA 2k series has done to Live. Imagine if NBA Live was the ONLY bball game in town. I'd be through with gaming as I almost am now. If EA buys out Take Two and doesnt utilize their expertise, I'm through with games totally.

You'd be a fool to think that EA wouldn't be trying way harder if there was a college game on the level of NFL 2k5 and was selling at half the price.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Rookie

Jmustang1968's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
So are we concerned about sales or quality? Look at what NBA 2k series has done to Live. Imagine if NBA Live was the ONLY bball game in town. I'd be through with gaming as I almost am now. If EA buys out Take Two and doesnt utilize their expertise, I'm through with games totally.

You'd be a fool to think that EA wouldn't be trying way harder if there was a college game on the level of NFL 2k5 and was selling at half the price.

We are concerned about quality, the developers about sales and quality. Remember, this is a business. If the competition isnt that competitive in sales, then to the developers eyes, they aren't much competition are they?

even when 2k5 was 20$ it still didnt sell as well as Madden did. and I respect 2k5 for some of the things it did right, it also isnt near the game it has been made out to be. If 2k was making a college football game now, the devs wouldnt be putting any more long hours than they already are. There is only so much time in the development cycles of these games. This is also made so by the added complexity of the next/now current gen systems.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Rookie

The only psychological phenomenon going on here is society's fascination with complaining, about everything. Everybody loves to complain, it makes 'em feel good.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
Rookie

Dirt DiverX's Arena

OVR: 3

The competition argument is valid for Madden, but the 2k NCAA football game was putrid. There was a reason why they stopped making it well before EA bought the NCAA rights.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
Rookie

This is no phenomenon. The game's AI does not work properly. It's as simple as that.

The hardcore sports fans on this and other boards have the right to be upset and disappointed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »