Home

Psychological phenomenon going on here

This is a discussion on Psychological phenomenon going on here within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #25
Rookie

Ungee34's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Psychological phenomenon going on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_BE
The only psychological phenomenon going on here is society's fascination with complaining, about everything. Everybody loves to complain, it makes 'em feel good.
WRONG! We complain because we just got ripped off. How is a broken game seen as anything other than a failure? HOW??
We are in our 3rd installment of next gen gaming with NCAA Football and we still do not have the same features as the PS2 or XBOX versions. No create a team, no custom playbooks.
Maybe it's just me, if I could have NCAA 2005 with next gen graphics I wouldn't say a peep. I have an Idea make that the base, and then add all the new things they want to try. I don't remember my XBOX or PS2 freezing half way through a dynasty, or during editing rosters. I guess I should just look the other way when I spend $60.00 on a game that doesn't do what it says it can do out of the box.
Why release the game this way. Sure disappointment from the public for not reaching the release date is there, but wouldn't it be better to push the date back and release a GREAT game??? They had the reputation for a GREAT game before, what has changed since 2005? If the next gen systems are so hard to program for, then get a team in there that can do the damn job or give the current team more time.
Simply put is just business. People still buy the game b/c of the name they established on the current gen systems. So, people buy this broken game, and Madden is the same way. They sell millions of copies no matter what, so why should they release a GREAT game, just make it good enough to pass, release a half hearted patch and lets get geared up for 2010....but don't worry I will complain because I love complaining....GIVE ME A BREAK!! RELEASE A GREAT GAME PLEASE!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmustang1968

If there actually was competition now, we wouldnt be able to get the level of interaction with the devs for the issues we have and to help get the game the way we want it.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #27
Rookie

Jmustang1968's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungee34
WRONG! We complain because we just got ripped off. How is a broken game seen as anything other than a failure? HOW??
We are in our 3rd installment of next gen gaming with NCAA Football and we still do not have the same features as the PS2 or XBOX versions. No create a team, no custom playbooks.
Maybe it's just me, if I could have NCAA 2005 with next gen graphics I wouldn't say a peep. I have an Idea make that the base, and then add all the new things they want to try. I don't remember my XBOX or PS2 freezing half way through a dynasty, or during editing rosters. I guess I should just look the other way when I spend $60.00 on a game that doesn't do what it says it can do out of the box.
Why release the game this way. Sure disappointment from the public for not reaching the release date is there, but wouldn't it be better to push the date back and release a GREAT game??? They had the reputation for a GREAT game before, what has changed since 2005? If the next gen systems are so hard to program for, then get a team in there that can do the damn job or give the current team more time.
Simply put is just business. People still buy the game b/c of the name they established on the current gen systems. So, people buy this broken game, and Madden is the same way. They sell millions of copies no matter what, so why should they release a GREAT game, just make it good enough to pass, release a half hearted patch and lets get geared up for 2010....but don't worry I will complain because I love complaining....GIVE ME A BREAK!! RELEASE A GREAT GAME PLEASE!

my game has yet to crash and has named rosters, and in 2 weeks the possibility of the crash will be resolved. I gaurantee you they had guys put in some long OT hours getting the roster edit patch. That and the fact the devs spend time on the boards to answer questions and inform us should show you that they care they make a good product. 2005 also doesnt have online dynasty, custom sounds, realistic rendered stadiums etc etc... They couldnt just take the same last gen game and convert it to next/current gen and have it look good. There are also plenty of AI problems in those past games as well.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #28
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

lol...at least all these threads churn out some entertainment. This argument is moot....exclusivity isn't going away as long as all parties involved stand to make money...and they do.

This isn't a new pschological phenomenon (as catchy as that sounds), it's plain old human nature. Advertising luring people in is nothing new and people being split about the value of the product isn't either. Consumerism (if that is indeed a word), as someone already aptly pointed out, is probably a more fitting description.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmustang1968
Well I will point out some fallacies of your argument. No game comes without bugs, and it is a horrible arguing to point to spend several lines of text suggesting people would suggest the devs to implement bugs in the game. What a ludicrous argument and I wasted the 10 seconds of my life reading it.

And now, are you talking about quality of product or price? The 1500$ PC argument is about price. Competition usually does lead to the lowering of prices to influence someone to buy the cheaper product over the less cheap. Ya, by making the only NCAA game I suppose EA could charge 100$ for the game if solely left for them but of course they don' or can't. EA has no motive or reason to make a poor quality game or intentionally leave bugs.

It looks like talking with the devs has helped to locate and solve the roster editing bug and a patch will be on the way soon. Most likely much sooner than would have otherwise if at all.

The other thing is EA has never had any real competition from any other college football game before exclusivity or not. I would say NCAA's biggest direct competitor is Madden.

NCAA does have competition. Most gamers have a set amount of money to spend on games. So if they make a crappy product that no one wants, they will use some of that money on another game. So there may not be another NCAA specific football game, but there are hundreds of other games out there that a gamer could spend his time or money on and EA wants them to spend it on this game. Thus they will try to make it as best as possible.

The whole competition catchphrase is tired and old and the easy way out. If you actually sit and think about it, it doesnt have quite the impact you may initially believe.
1. Where did i say that dev's purposely put bugs in the game???

2. I'm at a lost here about the competition thing, so i am not even going to try to explain it anymore. I will just leave it at competition fuels better products. If you don't understand that...then so be it. It is unbelievable that you don't...but okay fine.

3. The entire "set amount to spend on games" holds no weight in this instance. I don't understand why you would bring this up. If you want to play a college football games then you have to buy ncaa point blank period. It doesn't matter what review you read, it doesn't matter how you feel about EA as a company, it doesn't matter that your favorite team or the school you attended is not in the game, you have to buy it if you want to play college sports. You got 300 bucks, what are you going to do, by 5 FPS games? Buy 5 RPG games? For the most part, you are likely to buy one or two games per genre to give you some variety, i know very few people who only play FPS games and so on. So with FPS, you have a wide variety of very good titles, anyone company could get your dollar. Same with RPG. But you want to play college ball, it must be NCAA. So more than likely, you are going to have to set that money aside if you are a big enough fan of college football (and by the billions of dollars college football generates, who isn't) so you don't accidentally spend that on two games from one genre. If the other stuff didn't make since then I doubt this well either...so

3. The concept of congratulating people for cleaning up there own mistakes is completely lost to me. I will give anybody that worked on this game 0 credit for fixing it, because they broke it. It is a combination of no attention to detail, no fundamental understanding of football, no fundamental understanding of the law of averages, no type of QA checks and balances, and possibly just an inability to code the game properly, that lead to these issues. No one else can be blamed but EA for the issues of this game, because it is there fault, so all EA is doing is fixing the damage they already caused. I am a windows server adminstrator and a netbackup administrator for a large wholesale company. If i go in and jack with some services on the windows server and break some crap, then fix it, no one says "thanks for fixing that." They say, "Why the hell were you jacking with it in the first place?" If I go in and change some things around that cause backups to run into the business day, which causes access issues as some things can only be backed up with all files closed, but then i fix it, no one says "thanks for fixing that" they say "why were you jacking with it in the first place?" The people in the slider threads deserve A LOT of credit, because they are actually putting time and effort into trying to resolve a problem that they had no hand in creating. EA does not deserve credit, because all they are doing is fixing things THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. The roster thing should not have made it into the production phase at all. EA knows everyone does rosters, that everyone would be changing rosters like mad on the first day, and yet, a feature that they know everyone uses extensively, they still couldn't keep it from crashing the game. "Talking with the dev's" hasn't solved anything yet The users located this issue, not the dev's. Users posted there own work around until EA actually fixes this issue, not the dev's. The dev's haven't done anything but start a page and say "list all the things wrong with the game." That's all. Nothing is fixed yet, and until it is, the dev's haven't done a damn thing but produce another broken game. I can't believe somebody had the nerve to post "the game boot's up so it isn't broken". Wow that is all you expect the game to do for 60 buck is boot up? Obviously you are not an adult, have no financial responsibilities what so ever, and place no value on money or consumer products.

4. Not saying that EA would purposely make bugs, but I am saying that EA will purposely not fix them, because fixing them will cost EA money. This is a company that has already been sued by it's own employees for overworking and not paying them fair wages, so is it that far fetched? Just at my job, I have set in meetings where internal users and customers were complaining about a website issue and management decided not to fix it because the developer will have to write some new code, which would cost extra money (because he will work longer), then the QA guy has to test it, which will cost extra money (because he will have to work longer). Oh but then the developer has to get in touch with the Unix admin because he makes the code packets. See the developr (coder) writes the code, but the Unix admin (because the webservers run on a Unix operating system) has to make a packet so that the code will take shape, otherwise, if not done correctly, the entire site will crash. And if it's on a windows server? Oh that might cause memory leaks, and now the server might need to be rebooted at night. Saturday is the best time and...oh crap, nobody works saturday, how are we going to address that? Will I could do it, but by company policy, I have to be paid everytime I do work there or they get hit with a huge labor fine. So coming in saturday puts me at overtime, which is time and a half, which would be around 135.00. So if I have to do this every week, just rebooting that server alone (because i can't log in and do it remotely, because some services won't always start if a reboot it remotely) will cost the company about $7,500, and they haven't even started rectifying the issue yet. So yes, from a cost and production standpoint, OFTEN TIMES, the best thing for a company to do about an issue is NOTHING, ESPECIALLY IF THEY DON"T HAVE A REASON TO. Anyone who works a technical IT job knows exactly what I am talking about. And if EA doesn't fix it, what are consumers going to do, what power do they have? Do you really think people aren't going to buy the game. Even better, you can tell them you will fix it NEXT YEAR, and give them something to look forward to!

"The buckeyes play Akron, they play Kent State, I mean, they may win the MAC this year."
Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 9

Anyone who doesn't understand the concept of how competition triggers technological advancements within that industry needs to put down that controller and pick up a book.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #31
Rookie

Jmustang1968's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek05
1. Where did i say that dev's purposely put bugs in the game???

2. I'm at a lost here about the competition thing, so i am not even going to try to explain it anymore. I will just leave it at competition fuels better products. If you don't understand that...then so be it. It is unbelievable that you don't...but okay fine.

3. The entire "set amount to spend on games" holds no weight in this instance. I don't understand why you would bring this up. If you want to play a college football games then you have to buy ncaa point blank period. It doesn't matter what review you read, it doesn't matter how you feel about EA as a company, it doesn't matter that your favorite team or the school you attended is not in the game, you have to buy it if you want to play college sports. You got 300 bucks, what are you going to do, by 5 FPS games? Buy 5 RPG games? For the most part, you are likely to buy one or two games per genre to give you some variety, i know very few people who only play FPS games and so on. So with FPS, you have a wide variety of very good titles, anyone company could get your dollar. Same with RPG. But you want to play college ball, it must be NCAA. So more than likely, you are going to have to set that money aside if you are a big enough fan of college football (and by the billions of dollars college football generates, who isn't) so you don't accidentally spend that on two games from one genre. If the other stuff didn't make since then I doubt this well either...so

3. The concept of congratulating people for cleaning up there own mistakes is completely lost to me. I will give anybody that worked on this game 0 credit for fixing it, because they broke it. It is a combination of no attention to detail, no fundamental understanding of football, no fundamental understanding of the law of averages, no type of QA checks and balances, and possibly just an inability to code the game properly, that lead to these issues. No one else can be blamed but EA for the issues of this game, because it is there fault, so all EA is doing is fixing the damage they already caused. I am a windows server adminstrator and a netbackup administrator for a large wholesale company. If i go in and jack with some services on the windows server and break some crap, then fix it, no one says "thanks for fixing that." They say, "Why the hell were you jacking with it in the first place?" If I go in and change some things around that cause backups to run into the business day, which causes access issues as some things can only be backed up with all files closed, but then i fix it, no one says "thanks for fixing that" they say "why were you jacking with it in the first place?" The people in the slider threads deserve A LOT of credit, because they are actually putting time and effort into trying to resolve a problem that they had no hand in creating. EA does not deserve credit, because all they are doing is fixing things THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. The roster thing should not have made it into the production phase at all. EA knows everyone does rosters, that everyone would be changing rosters like mad on the first day, and yet, a feature that they know everyone uses extensively, they still couldn't keep it from crashing the game. "Talking with the dev's" hasn't solved anything yet The users located this issue, not the dev's. Users posted there own work around until EA actually fixes this issue, not the dev's. The dev's haven't done anything but start a page and say "list all the things wrong with the game." That's all. Nothing is fixed yet, and until it is, the dev's haven't done a damn thing but produce another broken game. I can't believe somebody had the nerve to post "the game boot's up so it isn't broken". Wow that is all you expect the game to do for 60 buck is boot up? Obviously you are not an adult, have no financial responsibilities what so ever, and place no value on money or consumer products.

4. Not saying that EA would purposely make bugs, but I am saying that EA will purposely not fix them, because fixing them will cost EA money. This is a company that has already been sued by it's own employees for overworking and not paying them fair wages, so is it that far fetched? Just at my job, I have set in meetings where internal users and customers were complaining about a website issue and management decided not to fix it because the developer will have to write some new code, which would cost extra money (because he will work longer), then the QA guy has to test it, which will cost extra money (because he will have to work longer). Oh but then the developer has to get in touch with the Unix admin because he makes the code packets. See the developr (coder) writes the code, but the Unix admin (because the webservers run on a Unix operating system) has to make a packet so that the code will take shape, otherwise, if not done correctly, the entire site will crash. And if it's on a windows server? Oh that might cause memory leaks, and now the server might need to be rebooted at night. Saturday is the best time and...oh crap, nobody works saturday, how are we going to address that? Will I could do it, but by company policy, I have to be paid everytime I do work there or they get hit with a huge labor fine. So coming in saturday puts me at overtime, which is time and a half, which would be around 135.00. So if I have to do this every week, just rebooting that server alone (because i can't log in and do it remotely, because some services won't always start if a reboot it remotely) will cost the company about $7,500, and they haven't even started rectifying the issue yet. So yes, from a cost and production standpoint, OFTEN TIMES, the best thing for a company to do about an issue is NOTHING, ESPECIALLY IF THEY DON"T HAVE A REASON TO. Anyone who works a technical IT job knows exactly what I am talking about. And if EA doesn't fix it, what are consumers going to do, what power do they have? Do you really think people aren't going to buy the game. Even better, you can tell them you will fix it NEXT YEAR, and give them something to look forward to!
Haha I laugh at these barely readable huge blocks of text.

1. You were going on an on about did we suggest this bug or that, which was a worthless argument.

2. I understand how competition works, but you obviously do not. The thing is, as far as I can remember NCAA football has had no direct competition. Or when they did the other product was inferior or sold for far less. So, there was an option, but no real competition, therefore that wouldnt have altered EA's strategy then or now. If other publishers made the game, EA would make their games the same way as now, they would just be more secretive about it.

3. It does make perfect sense. Say in your budget you can buy 300$ worth of games. Wel NCAA comes around and you hated it last year and thought it was full of bugs. Oh and think it was poor the last 3 years or whatever. Well instead this year you buy NBA 2k9 instead with your money, or you grabbed MGS4. Many people do that. Ive done that with other sports titles in fact. I wont purchase MLB 2k for awhile. is it my oly 360 baseball option? yes, but I will spend that money on another game now.

Your argument also fails in that you use broader genres of games. You say FPS, well is that strategic FPS like Rainbow Six, or more action oriented like Halo? or RPGs, there are tactical rpgs and action rpgs, etc etc. If you use the genre idea then you consider all Sports titles NCAA is competing with, not just narrowed down to college football. those other games dont offer direct comparisons.

4. (You used 3 twice) You have some reading comprehension problems as well. I wasnt congratulating or saying they deserved extra praise. I was saying how the interaction with us has helped EA to locate the problem and get it fixed, which if they didnt, the issue may not have been fixed or would have taken a lot longer. What is there not to understand? And I dont recall saying the game boots up and isnt broken BS. It seems you place no value on money as you seem to complain each year about the broken product yet presumably spend the 60$ on something you will hate and bitch about every year. While I spend the 60$ and enjoy my game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #32
Rookie

Jmustang1968's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
Anyone who doesn't understand the concept of how competition triggers technological advancements within that industry needs to put down that controller and pick up a book.

the concept of competition is fully understood, you fail to understand how it relates to NCAA Football. As these games were made the same way regardless of 2k or any other producer making a competing game. They have strict dev cycles that they follow. And they are competing with all video games, especially other sports titles. There just doesnt happen to be another NCAA option, but they were NEVER serious competition for sales even when they were made, atleast in the last decade or so. So if the developer isnt worried about the other guys making a competing game then they arent much of a threat than are they?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »