Home

Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product?

This is a discussion on Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #33
Pro

DiddyGotGrillz's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product?

2 Days after the release and we are already looking to 2010.....WOW!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Is there any chance a beta copy was published in lieu of a finished product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyGotGrillz
2 Days after the release and we are already looking to 2010.....WOW!
Sigh. I was on the fence about buying this but I went ahead and did and regret it now. The game has potential but it's going on the shelf until it's patched up. I'm sorry I've subsidized Tiburon's lousy quality control yet again.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #35
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott76
OK. Seriously. Time to fess up, bro...
Your "PR Speak" sounds good and all, but please tell us how something as simple as editing teams can cause such game-crashing, team-disappearing issues without being caught by these people doing "12 hours of serious serious testing". This is pathetic for an inde company to have happen, much less Electronic Arts. We deserve an explanation for such sh*tty QA.
i really doubt any tester went in and inputed all 120 teams rosters with names. this has never been a prob and when they added w. kentucky it became one. something i'm sure they didn't think would be a prob(they were wrong) but they are fixing it next week. i'm sure the tester did a great job stressing the system and finding alot of bugs. now i'm with you guys about the gameplay testers. i mean did the gameplay testers play football? have they ever watched football? everything about the special teams is bad. de's are useless and so many other things i can't even get started. what about the playbook guys, they played football do they think this represents football at all? i guess the problem with us sim guys is that we played ball, watch it and love it. i'm playing a game and i see a db turn away at the last second and i get mad and yell like a coach would if he something that dumb. its that we know how football works and alot of time the game doesnt give us a good replication of that. i worked for a software company for two years and i don't know how you guys do what you do in only a year(very impressed) but get the football right. make a game for the all the football players out there and not for the fat sofa kid that doesnt know dick about it. sorry if that was out of line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #36
Rookie

Ungee34's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
i really doubt any tester went in and inputed all 120 teams rosters with names. this has never been a prob and when they added w. kentucky it became one. something i'm sure they didn't think would be a prob(they were wrong) but they are fixing it next week. i'm sure the tester did a great job stressing the system and finding alot of bugs. now i'm with you guys about the gameplay testers. i mean did the gameplay testers play football? have they ever watched football? everything about the special teams is bad. de's are useless and so many other things i can't even get started. what about the playbook guys, they played football do they think this represents football at all? i guess the problem with us sim guys is that we played ball, watch it and love it. i'm playing a game and i see a db turn away at the last second and i get mad and yell like a coach would if he something that dumb. its that we know how football works and alot of time the game doesnt give us a good replication of that. i worked for a software company for two years and i don't know how you guys do what you do in only a year(very impressed) but get the football right. make a game for the all the football players out there and not for the fat sofa kid that doesnt know dick about it. sorry if that was out of line.
Well said and I see your point. I know for me at least, the frustration comes from the lack of improvement. I mean how many years have they made this game? We all have these next gen gaming machines that are truly unbelievable with the graphics and speed they pump out. We just want a game that is smooth and "major" bug free. Small things are fine, like you said they only have a year to redesign and develop. Let's get real though freezes and lack of some of the features that made the current gen game GREAT are killing this game for so many of us. Oh and the fact that the game costs more now....hmmm kinda sounds like the consumer is getting the short end of the stick here.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
We have 5 test teams:

Embeded test team - senior testers who work side by side with the dev team
NCAA Floor team - non specialized testers who run through test plans and look for any bug they can find.
TQC - these testers check for 3rd party standards compliance and test memory card like stuff
Online - these guys just test online
Gameplay team - these guys test all the in game stuff like animations and the "football" stuff you mentioned

We also are building up an automated test team that specialize in writing scripts that will automatically test to find those really hard to get to bugs.
Do you know how much 'football' testing they do, similar to the breakdown you gave on bug testing? And do you know how much the developers actually listen to them? I gotta be honest, it feels like the true football aspect of the game was not well-tested. The animations and stuff are beautiful, but it doesn't play like real football. That's what's most important to me, by far. The developers could make their lives much much simpler post-release by hiring testers whose only job it was to get a 'feel' for the game, and then listening very carefully to the trends that all of the testers lean towards. I get a feeling single opinions get too much emphasis.

I would test it for free, if it meant more realistic gameplay.

Actually, not that you guys would listen to someone like me, who realistically has no say at all, but this is what I would do:
Put together a team of only 'football' testers, whose only job is to test the way the game feels and how the AI acts. Put one person, the best-qualified, in charge as the spokesman of that team. Test the hell out of the game and have the group meet and discuss all of their issues. Test the hell out of it again, with everyone aware of potential issues, then meet again and agree as a team on the issues that the game possesses when it comes to realistic gameplay.

At this point, you should only be hiring testers who have been playing NCAA for at least a few years. I've played 100 games or more in every one since 2004....similar experience should be required when testing for the 'sim' gamers.

I don't pretend this is an easy process, or that I really know anything about it. But I do know that you're testing process for gameplay is seriously lacking in either :
quality testers
quality listeners, or
funding

I say all of this respectfully, because I know you guys have a tough job. And i know this year probably took a heckuva lot of testing for the online dynasty, which BTW is really really cool. But for many of us, it all boils down to gameplay. We will put up with a crapload of other bugs and glitches as long as once we fire up that game, we are entranced by it.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
Sigh. I was on the fence about buying this but I went ahead and did and regret it now. The game has potential but it's going on the shelf until it's patched up. I'm sorry I've subsidized Tiburon's lousy quality control yet again.
Not sure where you picked up your copy, but the Game Stop where I picked up mine is giving refunds to anyone who wants them.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #39
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott76
OK. Seriously. Time to fess up, bro...
Your "PR Speak" sounds good and all, but please tell us how something as simple as editing teams can cause such game-crashing, team-disappearing issues without being caught by these people doing "12 hours of serious serious testing". This is pathetic for an inde company to have happen, much less Electronic Arts. We deserve an explanation for such sh*tty QA.
How long does it take to name every player on every roster, even just naming them "A A"? We have over 8 thousands players to name. Nobody did it, so the bug was never caught.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #40
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQman2121
Not sure where you picked up your copy, but the Game Stop where I picked up mine is giving refunds to anyone who wants them.
BS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »