Home

Maybe defense isn't totally broken...

This is a discussion on Maybe defense isn't totally broken... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12
Maybe defense isn't totally broken...

I really think there might not be a problem with defense (more pass rush/push would be nice). I think play calling and defensive player skill matter a lot more than in the past. IE: You have a lot of corners with good Zone skill but bad Man skill? You better go man. You had also better make sure you dont have a linebacker on a slot receiver on 3rd down or it will get exploited over the middle.

Try out some heisman sliders with the QBA at 35 or 40 and you will see a solid game IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Maybe defense isn't totally broken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
I really think there might not be a problem with defense (more pass rush/push would be nice). I think play calling and defensive player skill matter a lot more than in the past. IE: You have a lot of corners with good Zone skill but bad Man skill? You better go man. You had also better make sure you dont have a linebacker on a slot receiver on 3rd down or it will get exploited over the middle.

Try out some heisman sliders with the QBA at 35 or 40 and you will see a solid game IMO.
The defense is broken..I have gone to the point of even upping my secondarys individual man and coverage rating only to see my all-american 98 rated db stand and watch as the wr catches the ball in front of him on a curl route..or my safety completely stand still while watching a slant pattern cross his face...or better yet my LB stand still and clueless while in zone coverage and then running in pursuit like he is in quicksand...lol
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Corners don't always jump hitch routes in real life. If there is no safety help over the top the corner's first priority should be to keep the play in front of him and not whiff on a tackle for a huge play. I can see it as a problem on crucial 3rd downs where they might need to take that gamble. My main point is that I really dont think the defense is as completely broken as people believe.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Corners don't always jump hitch routes in real life. If there is no safety help over the top the corner's first priority should be to keep the play in front of him and not whiff on a tackle for a huge play. I can see it as a problem on crucial 3rd downs where they might need to take that gamble. My main point is that I really dont think the defense is as completely broken as people believe.
Corners also don't stand up and watch for 2 seconds before trying to make the tackle..they break on the ball and try to make a play..all -american crners with 96 speed rating and a 97 overall rating don't get beat consistently on slant routes by 2nd .third or 75 rated wrs on a consistent basis..I am not even going to get into the pass rush fiasco...the defense is dumbed down ...guaranteed you can run a slant to the same receiver and complete it 90% of the time I have done it against so-called 99 rated defenses with 100 awareness on Heisman..it makes no sense!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

No there are some serious issues on defence still. Can you still play decent defence against the CPU? Of course you can, but in a pretty unrealistic way.

When an all out blitz doesnt get a lot of pressure on a bad team you know there is a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Dude, these are all things the game has done right at some point in this series. I shouldn't be able to throw a duck to a WR while the DB just stands there. Fact is, the best cornerback on this game won't jump a route any faster than a 3rd string CB will.

The middle linebackers in this game can be playing a man coverage and watch a TE, or RB run right in front of him and not even bother to move to cover him. Thus resulting in a catch everytime.

Heres my thing: While i appreciate the fact I can't just call any old defense and suceed now. You still haev to have your talent execute these plays, and this is where the game fails. The players don't execute.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

With slider tweaks..it is "better". Not great..but "better".

But on default...i.e. in head to head online games...it is absolutely pathetic. Atrocious Defense AI on default settings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »