Home

EA developers--- The Problem with the pass rush is QB logic

This is a discussion on EA developers--- The Problem with the pass rush is QB logic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: EA developers--- The Problem with the pass rush is QB logic

I was originally having similar problems with pressure too. In 08 I would slide the line in and blitz up the middle to get good pressure. I was trying this in 09 and noticed that linebackers would be mario running off my dline and oline who were engaged. What I've been doing now is spreading out the dline, taking the end around the outside, which is creating space for the linebackers to come straight up the middle without any "mario running". I was able to get 6 sacks in one game, maybe give it a try.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 9

I too find it very annoying that I will be right about to get a sack and the QB most of the time happens to find an open outlet. And quite often I have seen this receiver as someone just sitting in the flat, like a receiver that never ran his route. It gets frustrating for sure.

The game is riddled with bugs and poor gameplay mechanics but I still do find it fun, and it is the first next-gen version I have had fun with. I think I have already played this more than I did NCAA 08 all year. As someone else already pointed out, the biggest frustration is that a lot has been done right that if the really stupid, careless bugs were not present then the game would be amazing. Perhaps there need to be new testers or better unit tests and other automated QA systems put into place.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWarrior
I played with two of my friends last night, one was Temple, one was Notre Dame. I played as WVU when facing Temple and played as USC when facing Notre Dame....I STILL COULDN'T GET A SACK. My D-Line was getting destroyed by their O-Line, that the only time I could get close to a sack was if they ran out of the pocket, but I could never because the defense is so damn slow. I'd rather go play NCAA 08 then this, at least I had fun with that one and only ended up paying 40 bucks for it. This game I pay 60 bucks for that's probably half finished. Looks like this copy will be sent to Gamestop.
First off WVU plays that 3-3 stack so getting sacks with them is always going to be difficult without blitzing, and when playing a human it is always hard to get to the QB. But that is a whole other story.

It is true as another poster said that the passing game seems to be tweaked toward "wide open gameplay" which is unfortunate becuase aside from the rosters (which I dont care about) and the sliders there is nothing functionally broken with this game. And so much of it plays excellently. It must be hard for EA becuase they need to keep their casual "cheese" type players happy. Hopefully with madden's new difficulty setting the game will not fall into the same traps.

Was it madden or NCAA last year where linebackers would bump recievers who came over on shallow crossing routes?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

I generally don't like saying, "I told you so", but just to justify a thread from back in March that tried to predict what the major issue in this year's game would be:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2038299970

Either way, the game is a ton of fun (like Mark Mangino) when you play someone online who doesn't monkey around with the qb and 20+ step-drops or the same improvised bootleg to multiple x'ing or drag type routes every down. I think the main issue is the blocking being too effective. Yeah, that's obvious. Just look at the special teams issues. The other thing that has me scratching my head is the speed of the drop steps. Sure, a handful of qb's can do that. But, not every qb is Steve Young or Dan Marino. Footwork NEEDS to be added to qb ratings. That may help to promote the use of actual qb's, rather than guys named Percy Harvin, to some guys online. It could also help the pass rush. The ability to take a 5 step drop and then turn on a dime to a dead sprint backwards and STILL fire a rope 30 yards to your blind side is awe inspiring, but so are unicorns.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #21
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabs485
I know the gameplay is broken in so many ways that It's somewhat frustrating but there are some ways to reduce these issue or at least make them a non factor when playing the game. This is for Offline play because Stoping the pass against a human opponent is just impossible.

On offence, I dont use slants or comback routes. They are way too effective and the CPU Defense can't stop them.
On defense, I dont use blitz mainly because they are useless and leave open spots in the middled of the field. Also I try use the swat instead of the interception.
Return game, I dont use the turbo for the first 25-35 yards.

Playing this way I've been having a great experience so far but I know this should not be happening.
Are you serious?

If creating a series of house rules in order to compensate for broken gameplay offers you a "great experience," well, what can I say? You're one of the many NCAA & Madden consumers who will buy the games and play them no matter what.

Please believe me when I say I've nothing against you personally, but what a ridiculous statement...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
Rookie

iag04ho's Arena

OVR: 2

my favorite is when you finally do get past the O-Line, only to be have your 90+ rated All-American DE completely stonewalled by the HB who is back pass blocking...SMFH
Old 07-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #23
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

It's like I've said 1000 times in the last week.

It's the "Perfect Storm" of Bad Programming on the defensive side of the ball that equates to both a maddening and absolutely helpless feeling playing defense.

1. No pass rush-QB awareness has nothing to do with watching Toledo's Offensive Guard pancake my 95 rated DT every single snap. QB awareness has nothing to do with seeing 3 out of my 4 down linemen losing their footing and falling down or taking horrendous angles to the QB every single snap, thereby destroying any hope of getting to him in less than 5 seconds, the sign of death for any DB trying to cover overly-speedy WRs.

COMBINED WITH.....

2. As you stated, every QB plays exactly the same. Akron's scrub QB will always make the perfect read, always know when the rush is on him and ALWAYS get rid of the ball to the right guy each play. A 70 rated QB plays exactly the same as 99 rated Tim Tebow. There is no difference and, by default, a severe lack of "college football flavor" when you don't get excited about facing the premier College QBs because that scrub you just faced at Northeast Texas School of Culinary Arts played exactly like them.

COMBINED WITH.....

3. Blitzes are neutered to an obscene degree. Blitzing LBs or DBs don't go RIGHT TO THE LINE, even if you tell them to. Instead, many times they BACK UP to almost 5 yards off the line. This of course, makes them take more time to get to the QB, OR...most likely, get pancaked or stonewalled by a blocker.

On top of that, Blitzers don't "blitz" to the QB, they "lightly jog". All of this equals a Blitz that will never... NEVER get to the QB in less than 3 seconds max, and by that time any QB worth a damn has already dumped the ball off to a wide open outlet receiver.

COMBINED WITH....

4. Unreal speed differential with WRs vs DBs/LBs. A slot receiver with 95+ speed is undefendable, especially on crossing routes, hitches, and ins/outs. Since the QBs aren't going to get pressured, and no DBs can hang with them, they are usually good for a first down a catch.

COMBINED WITH....

5. Horrid Defensive pursuit angles/Zone coverage. Yellow zones are broken. DBs/LBs will sit and watch WRs catch balls right in front of them with no inkling of actually ATTACKING THE RECEIVER as he catches it. LBs never cover RBs...no matter their ratings. Laurinitis couldn't handle Toledo's 92 speed HB running patterns out of the backfield. And..if any WR gets behind a defender...they never catch up to them. EVER.

That's the "Perfect Storm" right there. All 5 of those equal "Wide Open Gameplay" i.e. the complete and total destruction of all things defense.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #24
Rookie

iag04ho's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
It's like I've said 1000 times in the last week.

It's the "Perfect Storm" of Bad Programming on the defensive side of the ball that equates to both a maddening and absolutely helpless feeling playing defense.

1. No pass rush-QB awareness has nothing to do with watching Toledo's Offensive Guard pancake my 95 rated DT every single snap. QB awareness has nothing to do with seeing 3 out of my 4 down linemen losing their footing and falling down or taking horrendous angles to the QB every single snap, thereby destroying any hope of getting to him in less than 5 seconds, the sign of death for any DB trying to cover overly-speedy WRs.

COMBINED WITH.....

2. As you stated, every QB plays exactly the same. Akron's scrub QB will always make the perfect read, always know when the rush is on him and ALWAYS get rid of the ball to the right guy each play. A 70 rated QB plays exactly the same as 99 rated Tim Tebow. There is no difference and, by default, a severe lack of "college football flavor" when you don't get excited about facing the premier College QBs because that scrub you just faced at Northeast Texas School of Culinary Arts played exactly like them.

COMBINED WITH.....

3. Blitzes are neutered to an obscene degree. Blitzing LBs or DBs don't go RIGHT TO THE LINE, even if you tell them to. Instead, many times they BACK UP to almost 5 yards off the line. This of course, makes them take more time to get to the QB, OR...most likely, get pancaked or stonewalled by a blocker.

On top of that, Blitzers don't "blitz" to the QB, they "lightly jog". All of this equals a Blitz that will never... NEVER get to the QB in less than 3 seconds max, and by that time any QB worth a damn has already dumped the ball off to a wide open outlet receiver.

COMBINED WITH....

4. Unreal speed differential with WRs vs DBs/LBs. A slot receiver with 95+ speed is undefendable, especially on crossing routes, hitches, and ins/outs. Since the QBs aren't going to get pressured, and no DBs can hang with them, they are usually good for a first down a catch.

COMBINED WITH....

5. Horrid Defensive pursuit angles/Zone coverage. Yellow zones are broken. DBs/LBs will sit and watch WRs catch balls right in front of them with no inkling of actually ATTACKING THE RECEIVER as he catches it. LBs never cover RBs...no matter their ratings. Laurinitis couldn't handle Toledo's 92 speed HB running patterns out of the backfield. And..if any WR gets behind a defender...they never catch up to them. EVER.

That's the "Perfect Storm" right there. All 5 of those equal "Wide Open Gameplay" i.e. the complete and total destruction of all things defense.
great post, the sad thing is i dont see any or most of these issues being patchable...and if they are patchable NCAA 2010 will probably be coming out by the time the patch is ready...some major major flaws in this game...its really dissapointing cus i believe this game would have been the first next-gen football game to be worth a crap and the next best NCAA game since 2004, but o well, iam done buying EA products on the 1st day, thats it, ive done it for too long only to be dissapointed, ima wait it out on Madden see what the word is and then if i like what i hear i will buy it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »