Home

In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #65
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right, those aren't the most extreme, but the point was to show that there is an issue with HBs simply being too effective as receivers out of the backfield, regardless of who is guarding them or what their receiving attributes are. So it's not just an issue of LB man coverage being problematic. In those videos, the Safeties were able to stay somewhat close because they have such high SPD ratings. If you had and LB on them, the HB would have been open by 10+ yards. But the issue is that defenders, virtually regardless of ratings, take false steps or get turned around against HB cuts out of the backfield, which causes separation.

Thus you get plays like Backs Cross from SG Splitback Slot which are virtually impossible to stop. Even if you play some kind of junk defense where you put 2 DBs on the HBs in man coverage and manually position them so they are in perfect alignment to guard it, the HBs still get open. And of course, if you try to go zone, they have underneath routes working to both sides and layered routes over the top, so somebody is always open.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
Right, those aren't the most extreme, but the point was to show that there is an issue with HBs simply being too effective as receivers out of the backfield, regardless of who is guarding them or what their receiving attributes are. So it's not just an issue of LB man coverage being problematic. In those videos, the Safeties were able to stay somewhat close because they have such high SPD ratings. If you had and LB on them, the HB would have been open by 10+ yards. But the issue is that defenders, virtually regardless of ratings, take false steps or get turned around against HB cuts out of the backfield, which causes separation.

Thus you get plays like Backs Cross from SG Splitback Slot which are virtually impossible to stop. Even if you play some kind of junk defense where you put 2 DBs on the HBs in man coverage and manually position them so they are in perfect alignment to guard it, the HBs still get open. And of course, if you try to go zone, they have underneath routes working to both sides and layered routes over the top, so somebody is always open.
Agreed. I like how you point out there the Route Run ratings. They need to come up with a formula that instantly gives a defender with a higher coverage rating - in particular man coverage - an advantage over an offensive player with a low route run rating. I used my HB out wide in one package last night and got two big catches on an impact CB. I'll have to check the route run rating but I'm sure it was pretty low.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »