Home

Help with the 3 -4 defense....

This is a discussion on Help with the 3 -4 defense.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Rookie

Wjkporter's Arena

OVR: 8
Help with the 3 -4 defense....

Hi, guys. I am converting over to the 3-4 defense. I have been running the 3-3-5 for years.
Can someone give me some help..... Thanks

I only called 12 plays with the 3-3-5 and my defense was lights out. So can someone fill in the blanks????

1) What should my base defense be???

2) What should I call to stop the inside run?

3) What should I call to stop the outside run?

4) Against 3 & 4 WR sets ???

5) Against run & pass situation??

6) Stopping the option??

7) Against short yardage pass situation??

8) Against 2 TE's and 3 TE's ???

Thanks for any help.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Help with the 3 -4 defense....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjkporter
Hi, guys. I am converting over to the 3-4 defense. I have been running the 3-3-5 for years.
Can someone give me some help..... Thanks

I only called 12 plays with the 3-3-5 and my defense was lights out. So can someone fill in the blanks????

1) What should my base defense be???

2) What should I call to stop the inside run?

3) What should I call to stop the outside run?

4) Against 3 & 4 WR sets ???

5) Against run & pass situation??

6) Stopping the option??

7) Against short yardage pass situation??

8) Against 2 TE's and 3 TE's ???

Thanks for any help.....
This post probably won't help any, but I've never liked the 3-4 in videogame football...unless the other team runs it. The problem with it is that it isn't used the same as it is in real life. In real life, the 3-4 should be set up and run more like the 5-2, with the OLB up on the line but in a 2 point stance. Otherwise the defense ends up like it does in the videogames...full of tons of natural holes and running lanes. You can run 2 TE formation dives and zone plays all day just blocking head up the safeties will end up with 12 tackles apiece by the end of the game.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

I use Notre Dame and have found the 3-4 very helpful in this years game. My reasoning is I feel as though the 3-4 zone coverages can thwart the nearly unstoppable short passing game, provided you have the right personnel. Get a MONSTER DT (should be your #1 priority recruiting wise), quick OLBs who are good in zone coverage and well balanced MLBs. I usually like getting bigger, stronger DEs, but its a preference thing.

Plays to stop the run inside
3-4 solid clamp double go
3-4 normal Pinch
3-4 even mlb cross fire
3-4 solid inside blitz

Plays to stop the run outside
3-4 even strike spy 2
cover 3
cover 2 can work well depending on your personnel
3-4 solid double in
3-4 solid sting pinch

Plays to stop the short passing game (very difficult to stop. take control of you LBs in the zone)
3-4 normal wide blitz
3-4 over 2 man under
3-4 under cover 2 sink
i like cover 3 here as well

As for 4 reciever sets, I generally stay out of the 3-4 and switch to the 3-3-5 or some other nickel set. Hard to give plays that work for you, as my plays are tailored to my team and playing style. They've worked great for me online (the only game I lost I was UNC playing the 4-3 and still only gave up 24 points. Didn't help that he cheesed the hell out of Pat White and Devine). I generally get a LOT of picks and knockdowns with my linebackers and am able to control the short passing game to some degree, which for this game I consider successful. Go into practice mode and give these a shot. If you need any more advice or wanna play some online PM me.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Rookie

Wjkporter's Arena

OVR: 8

Thanks guys 4 your help......

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »