Home

Is there such thing as pass defense?

This is a discussion on Is there such thing as pass defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Is there such thing as pass defense?

For the guy who asked what difficulty... we are using varsity in human vs human games. I am not sure how much of an effect difficulty has on hum vs hum (I assume it effects the CPU-controlled players on the field). When my friend and I play the scores end up being like 60-59 or 70-69, etc. Both of us can defend the pass to save our lives (and we are playing with some pretty good SEC defensive teams and such).
Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

when i play a team with a really good pass offence i play quarters the whole game. 3 linemen and 1 linebacker. i know it leaves it open for the run but the cpu is screwed up in this game and will pass 90% of the time.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Rookie

GatorFan1963's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHusker
With the lack of anything resembling a pass rush and idiotic CB AI in zone coverages, I've accepted the fact that I have to learn to play bend-but-don't-break-defense.

I remember how in NCAA 2004 the game seemed a little slanted toward offense too. But I felt like I had an impact on the outcome of the game while playing defense. You could play absolutely solid defense and get beat by a deep ball, but it was probably your fault. In 09 you just get nickel and dimed down the field and can't do anything about it. Hope for turnovers and to eliminate the offensive speed cheats by creating a shorter field. Thats about all you can hope for.
I agree with your bend but don't break principle in 09. It just seems like when the CPU scores on me, it's because of my defenders being completely out of position given the play that was actually called. But, defense isn't impossible. If anything, it's just inconsistent. It's hurts me to give up 300+ yards passing and still win. It almost feels like a loss.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
Rookie

goarmy80's Arena

OVR: 2

To play the pass against the cpu I've switched over to Nickle Cover 1 Press while controlling one of the LBs. I try to either cover up a crossing route or drop back and take away the cpus first option. If the cpu completes the pass I use hit stick to try to jar the ball loose. It seems even if the receiver takes a couple of steps up the field you can still knock the ball out for an incompletion.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #21
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

I've gotten much better on D over the last 3-4 session with the game - I usually control either a safety in zone or an LB in zone and try to read the play. Sometimes I get a running start with the safety and blitz to try and blow the play up. If you are sending a corner, control the OLB on that side and protect the flat.

I mix up my calls - some zone, man, blitz, no blitz - I switch at the line to hot route to a blitz, hot route to Press coverage - I switch everything up constantly. I pretty much go Nickle against 3 WR, Dime against 4 and Quarter against 5 though I may switch that up a bit depending on the game situation. I gave up playing as a D-lineman as you just can't get off the suction blocks.

I think the game plays a lot like NHL 08 in that sometimes you feel like you can't do anything against the CPU, but you just have to weather the storm and keep playing. I think there is a learning curve to this game as well, just like NHL 08.

However, I'm not saying there aren't AI issues on defense such as the suction blocking and brutal pursuit angles. I think it's very hard to play this game with the 'no-switch' method on defense as you need to switch players so that you can change the pursuit routes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 6

EA's biggest flaw, greed. They made the game too easy, I'm playing on heisman and I can't be beat. It's no fun knowing you're going to win everytime. They tried to make a game that reaches a big audience and in turn they dumb down the game. BS.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
Rookie

GatorFan1963's Arena

Ultimately if the sliders worked properly, this wouldn't even be a discussion.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #24
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

The big winner in this game is the 3-3-5 Defensive set and its different subsets. I am able to shut down the CPU on AA with this set and get a decent pass rush.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »