Home

Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09

This is a discussion on Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09

The Wildcat formation is one of the newest and most innovative offensive formations in college football. The University of Arkansas used the offense to near perfection with Running Back Darren McFadden at the helm. Unfortunately with the departure of coach Houston Nutt and McFadden, the Razorbacks no longer feature the offense in their playbook. However, three teams in NCAA Football do and our very own Noah Weber is here to take a look at the formation and how to run it to perfection. Check out his article Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09.

Quote:
"Darren McFadden would line up at quarterback in a modified shotgun formation, a receiver would come in motion, and they would run any number of plays that involved snapping the ball directly to either McFadden or the motion back, and then running, passing, or both."
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09

i have notice that the ask corso feature will sometimes have that formation in it even if its not in your playbook. i have seen it with Texas Tech, Arkansas State, and UTEP while using their playbook. i don't use it for every down, but on 4th downs when it automatically uses it, and it wants to go for it, the wildcat formation plays would sometimes show up.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 5
Nice read on how to execute the Wildhog offense (it was renamed after Malzahn left, not that Nutt had the right really...just sayin).

However, you are incorrect to say this was a major reason for Arkansas remaining competitive in the SEC last year. We had the best player in the nation, one of the best O-lines, and a second 1st round pick behind McFadden in Felix Jones--that had more to do with our success the last 2 years than a 'gimmicky' offensive set. Basically, our run game was dominate (and if we had even a sliver of a pass offense, we'd have been a BCS team, but that's spilled milk.)

The WildHog was part of that, but mostly a small part. You'd see it a few times a game. It was effective because of how little teams did see of it, and when it was laid on them they had little experience in how to handle it (what practice team player is going to really replicate what DMac is capable of?).

It's curious too that the play is in the Ole Miss book. The Wildcat/hog was not Nutt's invention (he's nowhere near that imaginative) but Gus Malzahn's over at Tulsa. You won't see it at Ole Miss, simply because they have no one to run it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long time before we ever see it again, considering the talent that was required to make it effective.

Sorry for the nitpick, but the article was great all the same.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike
Nice read on how to execute the Wildhog offense (it was renamed after Malzahn left, not that Nutt had the right really...just sayin).

However, you are incorrect to say this was a major reason for Arkansas remaining competitive in the SEC last year. We had the best player in the nation, one of the best O-lines, and a second 1st round pick behind McFadden in Felix Jones--that had more to do with our success the last 2 years than a 'gimmicky' offensive set. Basically, our run game was dominate (and if we had even a sliver of a pass offense, we'd have been a BCS team, but that's spilled milk.)

The WildHog was part of that, but mostly a small part. You'd see it a few times a game. It was effective because of how little teams did see of it, and when it was laid on them they had little experience in how to handle it (what practice team player is going to really replicate what DMac is capable of?).

It's curious too that the play is in the Ole Miss book. The Wildcat/hog was not Nutt's invention (he's nowhere near that imaginative) but Gus Malzahn's over at Tulsa. You won't see it at Ole Miss, simply because they have no one to run it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long time before we ever see it again, considering the talent that was required to make it effective.

Sorry for the nitpick, but the article was great all the same.
Actually, they do have a version called the "Wild Rebel". They have smaller guy running it... WR or something(185 lbs).
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Banned

The 'WildRebel'? wow, had no idea to be honest! You have to love how Nutt has taken that idea as his own lol. I doubt it will work anyway near like it did with DMac, as the guy had a pretty decent arm to throw with. That's the key to this set--you have to make the D fear the pass just enough to give yourself some running room.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Rookie

allconsoles's Arena

Quote:
The 'WildRebel'? wow, had no idea to be honest! You have to love how Nutt has taken that idea as his own lol. I doubt it will work anyway near like it did with DMac, as the guy had a pretty decent arm to throw with. That's the key to this set--you have to make the D fear the pass just enough to give yourself some running room.
nowhere has it been said that nutt has taken the idea as his own that just like saying no other team can run the spread the wishbone etc unless they come up with it ow their own
Old 07-31-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
Rookie

o 99 PROBL3MS o's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I know you seem like a Nutt basher but I just would like to inform you of something....It was Gus' idea to run the "Wildcat" formation but he wanted to use Peyton Hillis as the QB in the formation. It was Danny Nutt's idea to use Darren as the QB in the "Wildcat" formation. This comes from Darren himself so I know it to be fact. Lay off Nutt man. My goodness!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Banned

First, I'm not a 'Nutt' Basher. Just calling things as I see it. You'd have had to been around here to have gotten the full story about what went down between Malzahn and Nutt. Nutt essentially labeled Malzahn as 'high school' and forced the guy out of the program. That comes from plenty of folks on the hill who were there for the entire soap opera. And once Malzahn was out, the Wildcat became the 'Wildhog'. Now it's the 'Wildrebel' or some nonsense. That's what I based my opinion on.

As for laying off Nutt, give me a break dude. I didn't whelp on him in the least. You want to see him get pounded? Wait until November when he strolls in with Ole Miss in Fayettville. Personally, I'm glad he's down there and I'm sure he'll do a better job than Ogeron did.

As for your 'informing' me about Malzahn's intention to use Hillis, I call BS, but appreciate that you are trying to 'educate' me.

There were also some Nutt people who also said that the formation had been in the book since 1999, you can look on nwaonline.com for the article. And yet, it wasn't introduced until Malzahn came onboard, and then they felt the need to rename it after he left. And what if Malzahn HAD wanted to use Hillis? It's still his formation all the same. Like I said, I kinda doubt the validity of that statement, unless you have a link or something where McFadden is quoted having said that. I know I listen to Drive Time sports here in AR every day, and it's never once been mentioned (and very little gets by them).

Nutt isn't evil, and the program is better off than when he got here. So don't call me a basher. On the other hand, he let alot of drama happen that didn't need to happen. He never got us over the hump, even with the best player in the nation, and ran off a OC that's getting national recognition for his work. He'll do fine at Ole Miss, where they'd just like to go to a bowl, and we'll be fine with Petrino--until he leaves for Penn State, Miami, or wherever. It worked out fine for everyone in the end.

Here's a link to the article I mentioned:
http://nwanews.com/blogs/slophouse/2...wildhog-style/

Last edited by pike; 07-31-2008 at 09:49 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »