Home

NCAA needs a "throw away" mechanic

This is a discussion on NCAA needs a "throw away" mechanic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NCAA needs a "throw away" mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoots711
Sounds like im in the minority but i think it is a terrible idea.

We are talking about college QBs and i think this type of thinking may only be in the 1 or 2 top qbs in the country (if that).

Your standard college qb barely thinks about throwing the ball out of bounds let alone throwing at a receivers feet in a quick slant to avoid a sack.

College QB's typically make horrible decisions... I would call that a cheese away instead of a throw away... all to avoid a sack? I think in real life college qbs are getting sacked or throwing pick more often than not in that scenario.

As the above poster said it would be nice to throw out of the corner of the end zone down at the goal line but again i think this is more of a pro tool than college.

Just my thoughts.
So out of 120 starting QB's in the game 1 or 2 will have the ability to throw the ball away? I am not really following you here. I coach high school ball and our QB's are smart enough to get rid of the ball when under pressure. I guess we have some 5* recruits on our ball club.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

I wish there was a quick throw away button. Harrell is real good at that in real life. if no one is open and pressure is coming, he will throw it at the feet of the RB if he was in to block or a screen/shovel and its not set/open. sometimes the RB slips out for a dump off pass, but if that doesn't happen, he would just throw it at the feet of the RB.

an example:

also motivation for me to kill A&M in my next game

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

Yup, great idea.

Perhaps the longer you push in a direction when you're throwing, the greater the lead should be. The passing game definitely needs some fine-tuning. It seems the ball always has to hit a player. It's either a catch, a deflection, a drop or a pick.

The ball should hit nothing but turf sometimes.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake62505
So out of 120 starting QB's in the game 1 or 2 will have the ability to throw the ball away? I am not really following you here. I coach high school ball and our QB's are smart enough to get rid of the ball when under pressure. I guess we have some 5* recruits on our ball club.

I didnt say they dont get rid of the ball..

It is decision making compared to time.

I think very few qbs in college process thoughts like this

Snap
3 Step drop
Read one, covered
Read 2 covered
Safety Valve covered
Need to throw the ball away
Im in the pocket throw it at someones feet.

If you are facing a good pass rush i also dont see many qbs having the time or composure to do it.

And since we are the QB i dont like us having the option of playing qb Joe Schmoe for CupCake U and having the abilities of peyton manning...

I mean we already have the arm of marino and the accuracy of Young/Montana.... What else do you want?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #21
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoots711
If you are facing a good pass rush i also dont see many qbs having the time or composure to do it.

And since we are the QB i dont like us having the option of playing qb Joe Schmoe for CupCake U and having the abilities of peyton manning...

I mean we already have the arm of marino and the accuracy of Young/Montana.... What else do you want?
I understand your point here, but throwing the ball away is not the sole province of the guys who play at Enormous State U either...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I understand your point here, but throwing the ball away is not the sole province of the guys who play at Enormous State U either...
I just think the throw away is fine as is. Throwing at a receivers feet (on purpose) to avoid a sack and not throw a pick is a skill not many college qbs possess. Thats just my opinion.

If they wanted to change it so the R2 button throws it at a rbs feet only when you call a screen play that would be cool i guess. But with hot routes and other things i doubt EA could get it right.

They have a hard enough time putting a solid product out as is... And the last thing this year's Qbs need is any form of improvement!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #23
Banned

good idea
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
Pro

m00d's Arena

OVR: 7

That would be a great feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »