Home

Best Def. Formation ? for Shotgun 2 back set?

This is a discussion on Best Def. Formation ? for Shotgun 2 back set? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Rookie

Barto's Arena

OVR: 3
Best Def. Formation ? for Shotgun 2 back set?

I am playing an opponent who likes to run a lot of Shotgun 2 running back set formations. This guy runs the play where the RB's crisscross and then both go out in the flats on a flare pass route or about 7 yards past the line of scrimmage.

What is the best defense to defend against this play? I have to play him tonight or tomorrow and would like to be able to practice the defense a couple of times before playing him.

Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Best Def. Formation ? for Shotgun 2 back set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I am playing an opponent who likes to run a lot of Shotgun 2 running back set formations. This guy runs the play where the RB's crisscross and then both go out in the flats on a flare pass route or about 7 yards past the line of scrimmage.

What is the best defense to defend against this play? I have to play him tonight or tomorrow and would like to be able to practice the defense a couple of times before playing him.

Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cover 2 should stone those flat routes. You MUST control an OLB to guard the middle of the field though
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Cover 2 should stone those flat routes. You MUST control an OLB to guard the middle of the field though

This is true, also a play that does require a little set up is cover 1 in the Nickel 3-3-5 set, take both OLB's who are in yellow zones and hot route them to be in the flats or to guarding the running backs, this will allow you to have either a man waiting for them on the outsides or have them double covered.

Also you can set the play and face it in practice mode to attempt to find a play, it is what I do when guys constantly use one play on me.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Due to the horrible defensive AI, there is no play that will consistently defend this.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Take a D-End or LB and drift in front of the routes or audible to cut out the short RB throws.

Trust me, I use that play A TON against the AI, but never against humans, as they have learned the perfect way to stop the play.

University of Tennessee: Defending National Champs
University of Texas: 12-1 season
Western Michigan University: Defending Rose Bowl Champs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

That won't work, because there are 2 routes that come open against virtually every coverage (the RB out routes). If you cover one, the other is open. Plus there's a deep and intermediate route working behind them.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Pro

GOBLUE_08's Arena

OVR: 10

there is a couple of different plays that will stop running backs in the flat, of course its not gonna work every time but they should slow it down. the cover 1 in nickel 3-3-5 mentioned above and also the nickel cover 2 zone. in the cover 2 zone your CB plays a 5 yd zone and if your cb has good awareness he should be able to break on those passes in the flat and knock it down or pick it off.....or at least make a tackle for limited yards.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

If you are for sure he is passing go quarters man under with safety help over the top, bring the safety down from the top and match him p with the running back but make sure your back up free safety has enough speed to keep up with the running back. The MLB will be a spy that who you control the middle of the field with. If he starts breaking the pocket playmaker your ends to contain.

Mix in some quarters zone also I forgot the name of the play but the ends are containing and you have 3 dbs deep. You control the middle safety and take away the short underneath routes.

Just remember to keep him off balance.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »