Home

EA, why not release "NCAA Classic" next year?

This is a discussion on EA, why not release "NCAA Classic" next year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8
EA, why not release "NCAA Classic" next year?

Think about it. Remember back when Coca-Cola had their tried and true Coke soda. Then one day the company decided to release an all new version of Coke even though everybody loved the old formula. As it turned out most people hated the "new and improved" coke and the end result was that they re-released the "old" coke with fancy new packaging and it is now called "Coke Classic".

That is pretty much what has happened to the NCAA series. On the ps2/xbox most people loved the gameplay, features and AI. However, when the next gen consoles came out EA thought they would be fancy and do away with the solid NCAA game we all loved and released a "new and improved" game built from the ground up for the new consoles. As we all know it hasn't worked out all that great and judging from the topics on here most people want EA to come back with "NCAA Classic".

EA, take this year's release of NCAA Football 09 on the ps2 and port it over to the 360/ps3, do a roster update, and give it a fresh coat of paint in the graphics department. Keep everything else the same as the ps2 version (presentation, gameplay, AI, features, and most importantly......fun factor!). Release it as "NCAA Classic" on the 360/ps3 and watch the sales go through the roof. You could still release a next gen version and see which people prefer. Plus I bet a lot of people, such as myself, would buy both. Gamers would get what they want, and EA would make more money so overall it would be a win/win situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: EA, why not release "NCAA Classic" next year?

I'll go you one better...maybe...

IF the port you described above can be done fairly seemlessly, and I've heard established ports like that can be pretty easy on the programmers(don't know that for SURE tho...hold off the flame-throwers please)...but IF that could be done, let EA put out both and see which sells more of.

If given the option of

Solid gameplay with deep offline legacy mode and 'dated' graphics

OR

A crisp clean pretty game graphics that plays like...well, like it has the last two years...

Anyway, EA, put those TWO options out there at the same time and see which one sells the most copies. I dare ya...double dog even!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

Actually I did say to release both versions LOL, no big deal. Anyways, if they do the marketing campaign could be "Take the NCAA challenge! Do you prefer new or classic?" As I said I would buy both just because this is my favorite game series of all time and I am sure many others would do the same. The end result would be that everybody is happy, gamers because they would have a choice with two versions and they can decide what is important to them, and EA would make more money.

I could really see "NCAA Classic" selling a huge amount of units.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

I know that EA could do it because they did exactly the same thing with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. It was first released on the ps2/xbox. Then when the 360 was released they ported it over and updated the graphics a little and released it like that.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I really can't see that happening. They'd have to pay licensing fees on both games, divide their dev teams so that they could port the ps2 version and update it and at best only see a slight increase in sales. It would also confuse the uneducated consumer looking at the video game shelf in Best Buy. (i.e "Which version do I get?")

Don't get me wrong. The AI and such seemed to be better last generation but it seems like beyond the people registered on this forum and a few others many don't care that much. I'm all for an idea like this but it doesn't seem realistic to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
Actually I did say to release both versions LOL, no big deal.
Ooops...yeah...my only excuse is too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch Beatz
I really can't see that happening.
Agreed. I only wish they would just take a year off the presentation and other crap and CONCENTRATE on game play issues. I know I won't be buying the NCAA 10 until I see some reviews..."fool me once...". Well I've let EA fool me twice now...and not again.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Rookie

BuckeyesFan21's Arena

OVR: 3

Or why don't they just fix the damn gameplay and keep the nice looking graphics. I'm not willing to sacrifice one of those for dev faulting.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish
If given the option of

Solid gameplay with deep offline legacy mode and 'dated' graphics

OR

A crisp clean pretty game graphics that plays like...well, like it has the last two years...

Anyway, EA, put those TWO options out there at the same time and see which one sells the most copies. I dare ya...double dog even!
I guarantee you the pretty one would sell more copies by a landslide. People like we have here are a vast minority of the game buying public. 99% of the people out there will pick the game with the better graphics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »