Home

Past NCAA Football Games.....Refresh My Memory Here

This is a discussion on Past NCAA Football Games.....Refresh My Memory Here within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36
Past NCAA Football Games.....Refresh My Memory Here

With yet another disappointment from EA and this year's Next Generation football games, I've decided to go back and try some of the PS2/Xbox NCAA football games from the past to see what made them so great. The problem is that I can't remember which ones I liked the best/worst and which features each had.

Starting from NCAA 2003 all the way through NCAA 2008, Xbox or PS2, list a few of the good things that you really liked and some of the bad things that you didn't like with your favorite version. If memory serves me correctly, I probably played NCAA 06 (PS2) more than any other but I can't remember that much about it since I haven't played it for a few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
stewaat

OVR:
Re: Past NCAA Football Games.....Refresh My Memory Here

I'm seriously debating buying a PS2 just to have a solid dynasty going.

Wait, I have a PS3...can I buy the PS2 version and have it play on my PS3?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #3

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat

Yes.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:

I have the PS2 version of 09 and I'm currently playing a dynasty on there and enjoying it much more than the PS3. I still want to go back and play some older versions though and see how they compare to this year's version. I remember having a lot of fun with 04 & 06 and playing countless seasons on each.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:

What model?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
With yet another disappointment from EA and this year's Next Generation football games, I've decided to go back and try some of the PS2/Xbox NCAA football games from the past to see what made them so great. The problem is that I can't remember which ones I liked the best/worst and which features each had.

Starting from NCAA 2003 all the way through NCAA 2008, Xbox or PS2, list a few of the good things that you really liked and some of the bad things that you didn't like with your favorite version. If memory serves me correctly, I probably played NCAA 06 (PS2) more than any other but I can't remember that much about it since I haven't played it for a few years.
Tempting as it is to look back on those great PS2 games from 2002-08 with rose-colored glasses, it isn't really true that the game "evolved" all that much from year to year. You could argue that the 360 version has "evolved" much more since 2007 than the PS2 series did. But...

The difference is that starting point for NCAA on 360 was MUCH, much lower. In other words, NCAA 2002 and 2003 already had most of the core features that made the series popular. Dynasty and recruiting were tons of fun, and you could redshirt players, etc. Probably the biggest change was the addition of in-season recruiting, and I think they added recruiting "pitches" in 2004, which I enjoy, but never considered them that vital. Also, it was either 2007 or 2008 where we finally started getting skill development drills, similar to the Madden training camp.

On 360, we get in-season recruiting and some of the other "polish". But the 360 version has virtually non-existent TV presentation, and stat lines for players and other aspects like that hardly ever make an appearance. Also, the gameplay was worse from Day One b/c there are simply fewer controls. Yes, we do have hit stick and highlight stick, but defensive players can hardly do anything. Players who are engaged have precanned animation buttons (power and finesse)...you can't even "steer them" in the proper direction. And the responsiveness of everything is just off a bit.

HOWEVER, major props to EA for Online Dynasties and Roster Sharing. Even with all of the bugs, these features work great in the overwhelming majority of cases, and represent a true attempt to innovate and change the way NCAA fans interact with the game (and with others online).
Old 08-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

NCAA 06 was a blast but it was too easy on AA and too hard on Heisman. The short passing game was too risky and the deep passing game too easy. You could force the ball downfield very easily and run the option all day if you wanted. It was a lot of fun though but I had a ton of slider adjustments.

'07 was better in a lot of ways except momentum and jump the snap really annoyed me in that version. Furthermore, the inside running game got worse. In '07, you called inside running plays but bounced them outside 90% of the time for better yardage. I think the PS3 version does a much better job of letting you follow the play and occassionally break it outside.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
stewaat

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
What model?
20 or 40...can't remember. I think 20

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »