Home

A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

I swear,

Half of the problems with this game could be fixed with some seriously dedicated time to improving the Human vs CPU experience via a thorough and complex CPU AI playcalling system.

From what I can gather at most Community days with customers, EA has almost the entire session be Human vs Human games...am I correct in this?

Perhaps that is why issues such as....

1. Screen passes called up to 3 times in a row, and if the Screen is covered, the CPU QB "freaks out" and either throws a pick or just keeps running to the sideline.

2. QB choice plays run by every team in the game, and run many many times, even by QBs who have no business running it.

3. Sketchy playcalling on 3rd and long. QB Choice seems to be a standard on 3rd and 7 for many teams.

4. Way way too many aggressive 4th down decisions by the CPU i.e. too many fake punts and too many going for it in a tight game on 4th and short in bad field positions.

5. The inability for the QB to "throw the ball away". The QB will never just throw it out of bounds. If you get pressure on the QB, he will panic and always throw into coverage, leading to picks.

6. Defensively, the CPU will not adjust to what I am doing very well. For instance if I am attacking them on fade patterns, etc. they will not leave a Safety over the top to help out most of the time. Or they will call all out blitzes way too often, leaving too many wide open receivers.

..occur.

Now, I just played Auburn (me) at LSU in the OS Legends League on our AA sliders. The CPU called a very good game. The game was 30-20 and was a 1 to 6 point game for almost the entire contest. One of the critical mistakes by LSU was the QB "Freak out" on a screen pass that resulted in me intercepting the pass. But other than that, they ran the ball with the tailback...not the QB...they mixed up their plays, and they didn't fake any punts on their own 40 yard line on 4th and 12. Defenisvely, they were very sound, bringing smart blitzes at key times, and helping out with safeties over the top to take away my deep passing game.

This is a rarity. MOST of the time...the CPU does all 6 of the above with alarming regularity and in THOSE games I win 63-10, 55-7, or 45-14, etc.

I would say I get a game like the LSU game 1 time out of 10, and a 40 point blowout due to CPU stupidity 9 times out of 10.

The AI playcalling is slightly better on Heisman, but that difficulty level is flat out ******** with the juiced pancake pass blocking and Super Robo QB. Still, even on Heisman, the CPU Playcalling and QB AI leaves MUCH to be desired.

This is an area that I feel should be STRONGLY looked at for NCAA 2010. In fact I would go so far as it should be one of the most critical aspects to be redone.

If 2 keys were really overhauled..I'm talking complete reworkings..those being...

1. A brand new "Line of Scrimmage" engine that does away with suction blocking and introduces a much more fluid blocking system between O line and D line.

2. A robust AI engine that allows the CPU to adapt (not "cheat" but "adapt") to the User's playcalling both offensively and defensively, as well as makes smart football decisions in key situations.

If those 2 areas were really given a thorough reworking over the next year, this game could really be astounding.

Whether or not that occurs is up to EA.

Last edited by AuburnAlumni; 08-23-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

I agree completely. I've been testing some CPU vs CPU and this problem really shines. For example, UCF is leading 34-24 with 1:00 left. 5 of the next 6 plays are them passing the ball. Just before that BC has the ball and they run a QB Choice on 3rd and 5 in their own territory and are forced to punt.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Old 08-23-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

Completely agree. The CPU playcalling has annoyed me more than anything else in the game. Just for example in my last game using Mizzou against Florida Alantic the CPU decided to play press one on one coverage against Jeremy Maclin with no help over the top for 90% of the game. I put up 91 points and 9 tds passes simply because the cpu wouldn't adjust their playcalling. You think the CPU would be smart enough not to try to match up on press coverage against Maclin with a slow cb over and over again.

Also you didn't list this but the CPU qb running ai needs to be improved because even when the cpu qb is a fast qb they look clueless running the option. They don't hit the hole at all. In my last game for example the qb runs the option on a play I blitzed on the outside, the middle is wide open but the cpu qb's decides to make a left turn into my blitzers, then proceeds to turn around and run backwards to the right for a 10 yard loss. It's seems the qb ai on the option is to always try to pitch the ball instead of hitting a hole when it's there.

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-23-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

Yup. Playcalling needs an overhaul. Those QB Choice plays have to go.

I've already said this on these forums a dozen times, but here it is again: One solution to fixing (or at least helping) the CPU's dreadful playcalling would be to allow us to choose the CPU's playbook at the controller select screen. Some playbooks just suit the CPU's style of play better than others.

The CPU is incapable of running the spread option. I'd like to be able to change his playbook and let him use a power I offense instead, and let him play to his strengths -- even if it's not 100% realistic.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 17

I have been asking for this for years and even spoke at length with an EA employee about it. He was very doubtful that anything like this would come any time soon as so many already think the game is "too hard" for those who don't KNOW FOOTBALL and it wouldn't sell more copies, perhaps less..... that feeling you have right now when you just read that.... yeah, that was my feeling as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
MVP

deucepoppi17's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
Yup. Playcalling needs an overhaul. Those QB Choice plays have to go.

I've already said this on these forums a dozen times, but here it is again: One solution to fixing (or at least helping) the CPU's dreadful playcalling would be to allow us to choose the CPU's playbook at the controller select screen. Some playbooks just suit the CPU's style of play better than others.

The CPU is incapable of running the spread option. I'd like to be able to change his playbook and let him use a power I offense instead, and let him play to his strengths -- even if it's not 100% realistic.
In Dynasty u can change the "coach strategy" for the other teams. It works wonders. Now the CPU executing the plays it what sucks. They still jog on every option play.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 24

Playcalling and pursuit angles are the two biggest problems with this game and, if EA fixes them, NCAA 2010 will be amazing.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

I think pretty much everybody agrees with this topic. I think goes along with the topic I made last night how the cpu can't seem to finish off it's drives against me. The cpu plays well for the most part, driving down the field, as soon as they get inside my 30 yard line they get incredibly stupid. All of a sudden their drive stalls and instead of kicking the field goal THEY GO FOR IT on 4th and 8 from the 15 yard line instead of a short FG attemp!

The cpu is terrible at hurry up mode. You can pretty much assume you are going to win if the cpu needs to drive down the field quickly. Also, if you are winning, let's just say 10-7, the cpu has the ball on the final play with one chance to win it. What do they do? Line up with 4 recievers and then throw a 5 yard pass. You easily stop them and win the game.

I swear the cpu was A LOT smarter in 08 for the 360.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »