Home

EA: You can't advance a fumble!

This is a discussion on EA: You can't advance a fumble! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
EA: You can't advance a fumble!

This bugs me to no end.

If the offense fumbles the ball, you cannot advance the fumble unless the original fumbler picks it up.

In the game, this is not so. Any fumble can be picked up by any player and moved forward at anytime.

This needs to be fixed in 2010..as do the incessant blocks in the back that are never called and the fact that WRs who go out of bounds are still able to catch the ball with no penalty.

These are 3 flat out rules violations that are in the game right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: EA: You can't advance a fumble!

You would think that they could at least get the rules right in the game. The non-stop block in the backs are driving me crazy, hello EA those are penalities.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24

You've actually seen a fumble?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
This bugs me to no end.

If the offense fumbles the ball, you cannot advance the fumble unless the original fumbler picks it up.
From the 2008 Rule Book
Rule 7 - Snapping and Passing the Ball
Section 2 - Backward Pass and Fumble
ARTICLE 2. A backward pass or fumble may be caught or recovered by any inbounds player.
a. If caught, the ball continues in play (A.R. 7-2-2-I and II).
Exceptions:
1. Rule 8-3-2-d-5.
2. When on fourth down, before a change of team possession, a Team A fumble is caught in advance of the fumble by a Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead and returned to the spot of the fumble. If the fumble is caught behind the spot of the fumble by a Team A player other than the Team A fumbler, the ball is dead at that spot.
b. If recovered by the fumbling or passing team, the ball continues in play
(A.R. 2-23-1-I).
Exceptions:
1. Rule 8-3-2-d-5.
2. When on fourth down, before a change of team possession, a Team A fumble is recovered in advance of the fumble by a Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead and returned to the spot of the fumble. If the fumble is recovered behind the spot of the fumble by a Team A player other than the Team A fumbler, the ball is dead at that spot.
c. If recovered by an opponent of the fumbling team, the ball continues in play.
d. If recovered by an opponent of the passing team, the ball continues in play.
e. If a backward pass or fumble is caught or recovered simultaneously by opposing players, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the team last in possession (Exceptions: Rules 7-2-2-a Exception 2, 7-2-2-b Exception 2 and 8-3-2-d-5).

8-3-2-d-5 deals with extra point tries. So you are correct on 4th downs and try downs.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

That was my understanding too, only on 4th down you can't advance a fumble. And EA got this one right because the AI went for it, I sacked their qb, he fumbled, an o lineman picked it up and it was immediately whistled dead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

yeah, EA has the fumble rule down perfectly, which is kinda surprising
Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16
Icon6 Re: EA: You can't advance a fumble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
From the 2008 Rule Book
Rule 7 - Snapping and Passing the Ball
Section 2 - Backward Pass and Fumble
ARTICLE 2. A backward pass or fumble may be caught or recovered by any inbounds player.
a. If caught, the ball continues in play (A.R. 7-2-2-I and II).
Exceptions:
1. Rule 8-3-2-d-5.
2. When on fourth down, before a change of team possession, a Team A fumble is caught in advance of the fumble by a Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead and returned to the spot of the fumble. If the fumble is caught behind the spot of the fumble by a Team A player other than the Team A fumbler, the ball is dead at that spot.
b. If recovered by the fumbling or passing team, the ball continues in play
(A.R. 2-23-1-I).
Exceptions:
1. Rule 8-3-2-d-5.
2. When on fourth down, before a change of team possession, a Team A fumble is recovered in advance of the fumble by a Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead and returned to the spot of the fumble. If the fumble is recovered behind the spot of the fumble by a Team A player other than the Team A fumbler, the ball is dead at that spot.
c. If recovered by an opponent of the fumbling team, the ball continues in play.
d. If recovered by an opponent of the passing team, the ball continues in play.
e. If a backward pass or fumble is caught or recovered simultaneously by opposing players, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the team last in possession (Exceptions: Rules 7-2-2-a Exception 2, 7-2-2-b Exception 2 and 8-3-2-d-5).

8-3-2-d-5 deals with extra point tries. So you are correct on 4th downs and try downs.
That's one way to put out a fire.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Hahaha pwned.. Way to bash EA then get proven wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »