Home

Hypothesis on new/old game options

This is a discussion on Hypothesis on new/old game options within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Hypothesis on new/old game options

OMT, first thanks for taking the time to address this thread. It is nice to at least get feedback from EA directly. Here are a few followup questions if you have time.

1) How much time did it take to implement the Mascot game versus say put formation subs back in the game? To me formation subs is a MUST have to get fresh players in the game and add depth to dynasties. Its nice to be able to control who gets to play special teams, etc.... Mascot games are there to play once and be done with forever. I know I am biased against mascot games, had the game 3 months and still zero interest to play it once, but I would be surprised if more people played mascot games versus used the formation sub option if it were available.

2) Just how hard is it to re-implement formation subs into next gen? I do some VB programming (not much, I don't claim to be a programmer by any stretch) but I find it hard to believe that after 3 years of next gen a basic tool like formation subs has been too difficult to put back in this game. I am not asking about ALL of the old gen stuff but formation subs. I have been around these boards for years and I know for fact that formation subs were WELL received when they were implemented into last gen and I know that there has been a plea for them every year since the start of next gen.

Again, thanks for taking the time to address posts, the effort to respond is appreciated regardless of the answers given.

When I see your avatar it always gives me the vibe that you are pissed off! LOL
Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #18
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

OMT, I too have a question. All you have to say is yes or no, hopefully not maybe so.

Will Create A Team be in NCAA 2010?

I miss it so much, it is by far my most favorite feature in the game. I loved to create Slippery Rock University, the college in the town I grew up in. I think create a team is dumb for Madden, and I dont know if its in this years version because I LOVE NCAA and cant stop playing it so I have yet to buy it.
Thanks
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #19
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

I can't talk about what features will or will not be in 2010. I have my hands tied on that.

As far was it took to implement mascot game? An intern was looking around in the code, familiarizing herself with everything, and saw the ported current gen code was "turned off." So she turned it back on. Went into game, saw nothing blew up, and submitted the changes. The only bug I remember from mascot mode was that NCAA and Team records were not turned off, so every play you got commentary about breaking a record. That was an easy fix.

All we had to do was slap a UI on it and the feature was done. There is no reason to cut a feature if it doesn't get you anything.

Something like formation subs is a whole 'nother story. It involves modifying databases and save/load functionality. Those are two of the riskiest things you can do in software development. Because of that, it requires extensive testing and debugging BEFORE it ever reaches the hands of the test team.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #20
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoots711
Right, with time being spent on mascot game and mini games...

I hate to sound so negative in my reply but if you're telling me the EA design team (or any software team for that matter) can’t get what users consider basic functions that have existed in LAST GEN software into your 3RD YEAR of next gen software then to me it is one of two things.

1. Complete lack of attention to what your customers want (priorities)
2. Complete incompetence / lack of skill by your programmers.

It’s one or the other... Either they weren’t instructed to do it or they can’t do it.

Yeah OMT, after 3 year it should be "as simple as I believe it is"

I know you don’t work in the area and it isn’t your fault by any means but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade OMT...
It isn't one of those reasons. You either aren't reading what I post, think I'm lying to you, or just choose not to believe it.

It is a budget versus priority thing.
Mascot games - Low Priority/Low Cost
Mini games - Medium Priority/Low Cost
Formation subs - Medium Priority/High Cost

We have the will and the competency to do formation subs. Unfortunately, we have a finite amount of time to do it. Not doing mascot games and the two new mini games would not have gotten us formation subs.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
It isn't one of those reasons. You either aren't reading what I post, think I'm lying to you, or just choose not to believe it.

It is a budget versus priority thing.
Mascot games - Low Priority/Low Cost
Mini games - Medium Priority/Low Cost
Formation subs - Medium Priority/High Cost

We have the will and the competency to do formation subs. Unfortunately, we have a finite amount of time to do it. Not doing mascot games and the two new mini games would not have gotten us formation subs.
Thanks for your reply. the priority vs cost note is something many are/were curious about.

I hope you know im not banging on you OMT... it is just very frustrating to the end user (many of us who have software development knowledge/experience) to hear "it isnt that easy... the end"

I wouldnt think form subs would be a very challenging task as i think it would be as simple as sending 11 variables out on each called play, but hey, you sure would know alot better than me.

Thanks again for your reply.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 17

Thanks for reply OMT, anything you can share with us regarding GAME PLAY fixes/enhancements would be MUCH appreciated. I realize you can't talk about NEW features but if you can share anything regarding game play and/or "AI" it would be greatly appreciated by many here.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #23
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
Thanks for reply OMT, anything you can share with us regarding GAME PLAY fixes/enhancements would be MUCH appreciated. I realize you can't talk about NEW features but if you can share anything regarding game play and/or "AI" it would be greatly appreciated by many here.
Yeah.. I just posted in another thread... anything we do to the game for 2010 is a "feature" whether it is a whole new game mode or some under the hood tweak. I can't talk about improvements to gameplay or the AI at this point.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoots711
Thanks for your reply. the priority vs cost note is something many are/were curious about.

I hope you know im not banging on you OMT... it is just very frustrating to the end user (many of us who have software development knowledge/experience) to hear "it isnt that easy... the end"

I wouldnt think form subs would be a very challenging task as i think it would be as simple as sending 11 variables out on each called play, but hey, you sure would know alot better than me.

Thanks again for your reply.
I know... I don't mean to sound like your dad, "Because I said so, that's why!"

It is just that people constantly say "Why didn't they add X feature? They did mascot game instead!" and plenty of times I have explained how it isn't that simple. So when I see it for the 20th time, sometimes I'll just be like "Sorry.. that is not how it works."

I think I'll write a bot that crawls OS and searches for "mascot game," then replies to that post with an explanation of why mascot game had no impact on whatever they are talking about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »