Home

4-2-5 breaks the Game???

This is a discussion on 4-2-5 breaks the Game??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Rookie

BoomerSooner420's Arena

OVR: 2
4-2-5 breaks the Game???

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Using sliders that always give me good games (OS legends and Mudtiger's), when I use the 4-2-5 base defense I blow teams away and shut them out. ND(me)vs Mich 48-0, Tulsa(me)vs Rice 51-0, OU(me)vs Texas 49-3, and the list goes on. Tested in dynasty play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: 4-2-5 breaks the Game???

Shhh...don't tell

jk
Perhaps you just have good/great safties...that defense allows them to shine and if they have good cover skills it nixes some of the routes that the computer likes to run.

Also, it shuts off many passing lanes
Old 09-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner420
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Using sliders that always give me good games (OS legends and Mudtiger's), when I use the 4-2-5 base defense I blow teams away and shut them out. ND(me)vs Mich 48-0, Tulsa(me)vs Rice 51-0, OU(me)vs Texas 49-3, and the list goes on. Tested in dynasty play.
perhaps you are a God amognst men.....

i kid.

but does beating a team classify as breaking a game?

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
Rookie

Roy38's Arena

I've had great success running the 4-2-5. In my TCU dynasty (I'm playing 7 minute quarters using rascom's and mudtiger's sliders), I just completed my sixth year in the Big XII. I went 12-0 giving up 34 total points on the season and posted 8 shut-outs. Seven of those shut-outs (Baylor, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, OU, and Missouri) I held under 100 yards of offense. I've had some great individual defensive players over the years and some solid defensive units, but nothing this dominant. This was the first season of my "vision" - players I've recruited over the years to fit my style and scheme and was finally able to put it on the field all at the same time. What a blast it's been! Here's what I've been doing:

I recruit players based on skill or attribute levels rather than star rating. While 5* prospects typically come in higher rated overall, it doesn't mean they are skilled enough to play the position well. If I see a 3* LB with better skills than a 5* LB, I'll recruit him because he fits better with what I want him to do within my scheme. It may take him a few years of development, but it's time well spent. Impact 5* freshman recruits fill needs quickly, but if you can develop them before playing they are that much better. What I'm specifically looking for within my defensive scheme is to maximize instincts, speed, versatility, and coverage ability. This allows me to blitz CB's and cover with Safeties, or blitz Safeties and cover with LB's, etc. Regardless of my blitz call, I can still maintain solid coverage because there isn't much drop off between covering defenders. Here's what I'm looking at when recruiting by position and minimum standards:

DT:
A- Awareness
C- Power Move
C- Finesse Move
C- Block Shedding
B Strength
C- Play Recognition
C- Pursuit

DE:
A- Awareness
C- Power Move
C- Finesse Move
C- Block Shedding
C- Strength
C- Play Recognition
C- Pursuit
B Speed

LB:
A- Awareness
C- Play Recognition
C- Pursuit
C- Man Coverage
C- Zone Coverage
B Speed
B Acceleration

CB & FS:
A- Awareness
C- Press
C- Play Recognition
C- Pursuit
B- Man Coverage
B- Zone Coverage
C- Catch
B+ Speed
B+ Acceleration

SS:
A- Awareness
C- Press
C- Play Recognition
C- Pursuit
C+ Man Coverage
C+ Zone Coverage
C- Catch
B+ Speed
B+ Acceleration

There are exceptions to every rule, but I try to stick to the above criteria when recruiting players. If I have position needs and am having trouble filling those holes with the above players, you'll have to take the kid that is already interested or is not being recruiting heavily by other programs. Either way, the player will not be as good but it's better than taking a walk-on. The other skills or attributes are important (i.e., Tackling, Hit Power, Agility, etc.), but I consider these as gravy and only add to the players effectiveness. I think with my next dynasty team I'll try to implement a 3-4 and see what works best.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 33

Man Roy, that is gret help to those of us that are recruiting challenged!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Rookie

Roy38's Arena

I think it makes recruiting easier because I'm looking for a specific skill set. Some positions can be a nightmare to fill (MLB and SS specifically) because very few of those prospects have the above attributes or there are fewer players available to recruit. When I can't find what I need, I'll definitely over recruit a similar position (OLB and FS for example) and move players over.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner420
I knew all along ND was underrated. I have led the nation in run defense with 14 ypg allowed, and EA says the cpu can run the ball. BS.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Rookie

capone2117's Arena

OVR: 4

If you think your dominate with the 4-2-5, try playing against it. I use mudtigers AA sliders and have been beat by teams with the 4-2-5 rather handily. Even my yards per game is drastically impacted. The 4-2-5 is my kryptonite and if you really want a challenge, change the CPU defense to 4-2-5 every single game. You'll have really good "real life" plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »