Home

Why is the ath position even in this game?

This is a discussion on Why is the ath position even in this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #25
Rookie

antdawg9's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why is the ath position even in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck0027
What you have to be careful about though is if you sign an athlete that shows WR attributes when recruiting him he pretty much has to play WR. Say he is a 84 overall with 95 speed, 92 agility, and 94 acceleration. If you go to WR it will say he is a 84 overall. But if you go to CB or Saftey, it will say he is around teh same overall in the 82-84 area. but dont be fooled by that. YOu have to check his coverage ratings also before you make that switch, because the Overall rating of a player only has to do with certain attributes, not all of them, like the man coverage, zone coverage, catch in traffic, spectacular catch, etc... do not count toward there overall. I know this because in one of my dynastys, i recruited the number 1 overall player who was an athelete. a stud like 6'5 200 lbs, who showed the WR attributes when recruiting him. I ended up getttin him and i got to position changes, he was a 89 overall WR, but when i was scrolling through he was a 90 overall FS. I was like hey i need a FS so i put him there but then i checked his Man Coverage and Zone Coverage but they were only 40's. so just check out the position specific attributes before you finalize anything.
That's exactly what happened to me. I had a 6'5" athlete with 93 speed who was a 87 WR, but also an 87 CB and 89 FS. I put him at corner because I was very weak at corner, but pretty strong at WR and FS. I then noticed that his coverage was in the 30s. By that time it was too late and when I tried to switch him to WR the next year, he was only like a 80 or something.

I always joke that he is the greatest WR I ever recruited, but he never played WR.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
By definition should an ATHLETE not be strong at a number of positions? I find it annoying that most athletes are really only scripted for one position... this logic needs a correction!

I also hate that athletes are not strong at multiple positions!!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #27
Rookie

texasgmr's Arena

OVR: 19

I just recruited one ATH as well and was looking to where he would fit in. He was 80 overall and every position I tried to put him in on the offensive side of the ball was dropping his ratings. When I put him on the defensive side of the ball at CB it went up. Luckily it did cause I need a Cornerback.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
Rookie

Hoovie's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgmr
I just recruited one ATH as well and was looking to where he would fit in. He was 80 overall and every position I tried to put him in on the offensive side of the ball was dropping his ratings. When I put him on the defensive side of the ball at CB it went up. Luckily it did cause I need a Cornerback.
You may want to look at his coverage ratings, because as others have noted in this thread, just because an ATH has a good OVR at CB or FS, doesn't mean he can cover.

I recruited an ATH for one of my dynasties (I forget which team, doesn't matter), and I had a huge hole at CB. My highest returning player was like a 70 something overall, and this ATH came in at the mid 80's at CB. Sweet deal, instant starter! Well, I began to notice that he couldn't cover to save his life, but once the ball was in the air he would make amazing plays on it. The Ath had high 90's SPD and ACC, but NO coverage skills, meaning he led the NCAA is INT's, but also gave up large amounts of yards in the passing game.

He was a blessing and a curse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »