Home

stoppin the cpu hb

This is a discussion on stoppin the cpu hb within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16
stoppin the cpu hb

What do I need to do to keep one player on the cpu team from having 15 catches?
-If I run zone the whole game the WRs have 15 catches on ugly curls and broken routes.
-If I run man the whole game the backs will have 10+ catches
-And if I mix it up the curls and the backs are a problem...
I know this year is all about the offense but defense is barely playable for these 2 reasons. Any help would be appreciated

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: stoppin the cpu hb

A lot of it is about mixing and matching the athleticism of your team to the other team's offense. If your defense is good, you can attempt to dominate the cpu offense for most of the field, and then play more of a "bend" defense in the red zone, looking to get a turnover.

For me, my #1 MLB is my liability in man to man coverage. The #2 MLB is pretty fast, and my OLB are very fast and (maybe even more importantly) very aware and good at man coverage. So I tend to pick plays from the 3-4 that have one of the MLB playing zone or blitzing. Guess who that is? Yep, the slow guy. not always, because I have to mix it up, and I actually like him on most fullbacks becuase he has 98 awareness.

Dont' be afraid to have one man deep against the cpu and have a fast safety on the halfback. In other words, man single deep coverage, and you can flip it to have the faster safety playing man. Eventually, you will learn to absolutely dominate the cpu. I promise. It's possible.

edit: I see your sig that you're in a league. Probably very experienced. So please don't see my post as being "talking down" the question just made me think that you were relatively new to the game. In other words trying to help.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
A lot of it is about mixing and matching the athleticism of your team to the other team's offense. If your defense is good, you can attempt to dominate the cpu offense for most of the field, and then play more of a "bend" defense in the red zone, looking to get a turnover.

For me, my #1 MLB is my liability in man to man coverage. The #2 MLB is pretty fast, and my OLB are very fast and (maybe even more importantly) very aware and good at man coverage. So I tend to pick plays from the 3-4 that have one of the MLB playing zone or blitzing. Guess who that is? Yep, the slow guy. not always, because I have to mix it up, and I actually like him on most fullbacks becuase he has 98 awareness.

Dont' be afraid to have one man deep against the cpu and have a fast safety on the halfback. In other words, man single deep coverage, and you can flip it to have the faster safety playing man. Eventually, you will learn to absolutely dominate the cpu. I promise. It's possible.

edit: I see your sig that you're in a league. Probably very experienced. So please don't see my post as being "talking down" the question just made me think that you were relatively new to the game. In other words trying to help.
Lol. I havent changed my sig in months! But Im 47-5 over the last 4 seasons in another od. So yeah I've been around the block a few times. I put up big numbers and usually have a top 20 d as well, but until im number one on d i need to improve. I will take what u said into account. I appreciate the input

Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Rookie

dex26-'s Arena

OVR: 4

Sounds to me like you are having big holes in your defense. Lately i've been labbing the 4-2-5 defense with a couple of experienced 425 users and i've been able to keep the cpu to under 10 points, under 200 total yards and on average 5 sacks and 3 picks.

Its all about making adjustments, rolling with the base play with usually cause problems for you. Think ahead in what the opp. might do and base your adjustments to that. If you think they are running a curl, play your safties deep, put a backer in a buzz and the corner in a flat. If they run slants put your backers in hooks. Put some pressure on the cpu, whats great about playing the cpu is that they hate taking sacks. If they see pressure coming they will either run and lose yards or they will force the throw and take the turnover.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex26-
Sounds to me like you are having big holes in your defense. Lately i've been labbing the 4-2-5 defense with a couple of experienced 425 users and i've been able to keep the cpu to under 10 points, under 200 total yards and on average 5 sacks and 3 picks.

Its all about making adjustments, rolling with the base play with usually cause problems for you. Think ahead in what the opp. might do and base your adjustments to that. If you think they are running a curl, play your safties deep, put a backer in a buzz and the corner in a flat. If they run slants put your backers in hooks. Put some pressure on the cpu, whats great about playing the cpu is that they hate taking sacks. If they see pressure coming they will either run and lose yards or they will force the throw and take the turnover.
I never run the base play. I think it comes down to me just making the wrong adjustments. I will try what u suggested tho

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Rookie

dex26-'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young J 334
I never run the base play. I think it comes down to me just making the wrong adjustments. I will try what u suggested tho

Try doing what i do, Get some friends together mainly experienced users. Get in a game (works better if you both have headsets) and lab certain plays. Find what works and what doesn't.

Check out the ncaastrategies.com forums. Alot of good info there. You may find someone to lab with pending on the defense you run. Some people say a pressure defense is worthless and pointless on this game, well i beg to differ. There are some blitzes that i can get pressure or tackle the qb in 2 or 3 seconds.

Some people call it a nano blitz, its close but i can only get it to work around 80% of the time, so its not really a nano. But i believe it to be close. A pressure defense really screws up a user's thinking, especially the ones that don't know awhole lot about football. Most users online only have around 1 though heading into the huddle or 1 main read. When you take away that read and have pressure in their face they will panic. Usually leading to a sack, yards loss or a turnover.

I love a pressure defense and i have a feeling it might even be better in the next game hoping they improve the defense. Not saying blitzing every down but in certain situations. One game i had, i totally took the guys RB out of the game. I shut his running game down and he had to leave his RB in for a blocker. It was awesome.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex26-
Try doing what i do, Get some friends together mainly experienced users. Get in a game (works better if you both have headsets) and lab certain plays. Find what works and what doesn't.

Check out the ncaastrategies.com forums. Alot of good info there. You may find someone to lab with pending on the defense you run. Some people say a pressure defense is worthless and pointless on this game, well i beg to differ. There are some blitzes that i can get pressure or tackle the qb in 2 or 3 seconds.

Some people call it a nano blitz, its close but i can only get it to work around 80% of the time, so its not really a nano. But i believe it to be close. A pressure defense really screws up a user's thinking, especially the ones that don't know awhole lot about football. Most users online only have around 1 though heading into the huddle or 1 main read. When you take away that read and have pressure in their face they will panic. Usually leading to a sack, yards loss or a turnover.

I love a pressure defense and i have a feeling it might even be better in the next game hoping they improve the defense. Not saying blitzing every down but in certain situations. One game i had, i totally took the guys RB out of the game. I shut his running game down and he had to leave his RB in for a blocker. It was awesome.
I have no trouble stopping humans. Its the cpu im worried about. Just the cpu

Old 02-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
Rookie

i like to have an extra DB out there and play man, so that the extra DB will cover the RB, so if the computer comes out in 2wr set i come out in nothing lower than a nickel, or if i have the players i need to run my base D, i come out in 3-3-5 to cover 2wr sets.

Usually i play dime man, with a spy in anything with 3 or more receivers. if i have good enough safeties, i still play 3-3-5

and i usually pick a safety and cover the RB out of the backfield. your gonna give up yards..

but you will get stops if you have good enough DBs.

This wont work against humans... they can just run on ya.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »