Home

Offensive line blocking vs. DBs in the box

This is a discussion on Offensive line blocking vs. DBs in the box within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Offensive line blocking vs. DBs in the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox3
That makes sense...

The offensive line play in this game is so bad, it ruins the game for me.
It is by far the worst issue with EA football games yet it always seems to get the shaft. OL/DL controls the real game.....if its in the game....
Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
It is by far the worst issue with EA football games yet it always seems to get the shaft. OL/DL controls the real game.....if its in the game....
Yeah, it's to the point now where it's just plain ridiculous.

Dime and Quarter defense have historicly been effective, against Power run formations in both EA football titles.

Until they fix this issue, neither Madden OR NCAA will NEVER be considered a Sim.

It's a shame that this issue has existed as long as it has, and every year there is still no resolution.

Every aspect of game planning starts with the OL/DL, and they continue to struggle to get this part of football right.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

I know, it was really stupid. Just wanted an extra year out of them because their all terrible, so they would go up in points a bit.

Now what's Dime defense? Can someone explain it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadawgs29
I know, it was really stupid. Just wanted an extra year out of them because their all terrible, so they would go up in points a bit.

Now what's Dime defense? Can someone explain it?
Dime defensive has 6 defensive backs. The defense usually comes out with 3 lineman, 2 linebackers, and 6 dbs. Or 4 Lineman, 1 linebacker, and 6 dbs.

Nickle is 5 dbs, and quarter is 7.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

What plays have the 6 dbs and 4 lineman? I normally run out of quarters, but I want to get rid of as many lb's as possible, except for one to help stop the run.

In my dynasty, I have never not been #1 in Rushing Defense, but am near dead last in passing. Most of it gets by the linebackers, because they are too slow.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadawgs29
What plays have the 6 dbs and 4 lineman? I normally run out of quarters, but I want to get rid of as many lb's as possible, except for one to help stop the run.

In my dynasty, I have never not been #1 in Rushing Defense, but am near dead last in passing. Most of it gets by the linebackers, because they are too slow.
LOL. You play quarters defense every down?

God, I can't wait until they fix this **** and people have to run real offenses and defenses.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #15
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
LOL. You play quarters defense every down?

God, I can't wait until they fix this **** and people have to run real offenses and defenses.
Yeah I agree with you guys, and what you're saying here.... That's why I like being in a league with other straight players... You simply don't see stuff like this. If I did go online and play random players, and saw crap like this, I'd be pretty annoyed.

The ratings and player weights need to eventually start mattering (other than speed heh).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
The ratings and player weights need to eventually start mattering (other than speed heh).
Ain't that the truth. You can take a 195 lb athlete and he will still show up as a 70 rated DE. Give me a break. Weight just doesn't seem to matter much at all during game play. A 220 lb DE should be able to be pushed around. A small DB in the box should get moved and/or pancaked.

The real problem with this is the Tecmo style blocking engine. Players engage each other, wrestle and someone is determined to be the winner. 2K had a more interactive blocking system where players could be on the move while engaging. EA's system doesn't allow for true end rushes since as soon as an OT touches the player he can't slip by. This is the biggest area that needs improving imo. Players just stand still far too often or people get knocked on their butts (OL pancakes were crazy) rather than simply beaten by positioning.

We do have hope though. The layered blending approach Ian is taking with the QB sacks along with the new jostling system of the WR and DB seems to imply that they are trying new techniques that could work here as well. No question any improvement here would be significant and they might hold off announcing this until later in the dev cycle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »