Home

say hello to college playoffs (hopefully)

This is a discussion on say hello to college playoffs (hopefully) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: say hello to college playoffs (hopefully)

Take out the C and you have it dead on.

BS SYSTEM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #26
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

I love how people think that they want a playoff, when what they will get is something far less than what we have now. The max the NCAA could do with bowls and conference championships is four teams. Who the heck wants to see a four team playoff?

The current system is actually pretty good for all schools. You have the champions of major conferences playing each other in highly touted bowls, and you have a chance for the smaller schools to make a lot of money playing in a BCS bowl. I really don't think anybody who is making money off college football really wants a playoff, INCLUDING teams like Utah, Boise State and Hawaii.

Destroying all of the bowl games for a four team playoff at best is worthless. Keeping the BCS is something smart, and hopefully Congress will keep out of the private business sector.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
I love how people think that they want a playoff, when what they will get is something far less than what we have now. The max the NCAA could do with bowls and conference championships is four teams. Who the heck wants to see a four team playoff?

The current system is actually pretty good for all schools. You have the champions of major conferences playing each other in highly touted bowls, and you have a chance for the smaller schools to make a lot of money playing in a BCS bowl. I really don't think anybody who is making money off college football really wants a playoff, INCLUDING teams like Utah, Boise State and Hawaii.

Destroying all of the bowl games for a four team playoff at best is worthless. Keeping the BCS is something smart, and hopefully Congress will keep out of the private business sector.
I do, I would have loved to see USC vs florida or Utah vs USC or utah vs florida last year in a plus 1 game or 4 team playoff format and don't tell me the rest of the nation would mind that

the fact is you don't have to do away with the importance of the reg season, if you only have the top eight teams in the bcs standing in a playoff system using the bowls it would still keep the importance of winning games in the reg season to make it into the playoffs.

Last edited by drlw322; 05-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
Pro

mjussawalla's Arena

OVR: 11

I am a fan of bowls.

However, I would be open to a +1 format. I.e. Make the Cotton Bowl a BCS bowl, then you would have: Fiesta, Rose, Cotton, Orange, Sugar have BCS 1-10 play in it. After that, have a true Championship game. I.e. this year, Florida and Utah would have played.

This way you can play your major bowl games on New Years day and have the championship game the following week.

This would be the format most people would feel comfortable doing. It will add another BCS bowl and enable the end of season argument of who is number 1 to be put to rest and of course pay more money to the participants.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjussawalla
I am a fan of bowls.

However, I would be open to a +1 format. I.e. Make the Cotton Bowl a BCS bowl, then you would have: Fiesta, Rose, Cotton, Orange, Sugar have BCS 1-10 play in it. After that, have a true Championship game. I.e. this year, Florida and Utah would have played.

This way you can play your major bowl games on New Years day and have the championship game the following week.

This would be the format most people would feel comfortable doing. It will add another BCS bowl and enable the end of season argument of who is number 1 to be put to rest and of course pay more money to the participants.
How would that have ended anything? USC has just as much right to play in the +1 game last year than either Florida or Utah.

All a playoff would create is more debate and whining about who should be in and who should get home games.... because if they did every game at a neutral site the crowds would be pathetic.

Also, there is no way you give automatic births to every conference champion (that doesn't even happen in the other NCAA divisions). There is no way a team like Troy should be in the playoff last year. And teams like Boise St. should actually have to join a conference so they don't play 1 BCS team and make a claim of being a top 5 team. Heck, they got smoked by UW two years ago and that team has since won a total of 3 games over nearly 2 seasons! And that team finished second to Hawaii (who also should have lost to UW who was a very poor team under Ty).
Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #30
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2krules
Those dipwads in congress have much more important things to do than meddle in college football.
This.

Unfortunately, those dipwads in congress know that pushing for college football playoffs is popular with a lot of voters.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
Yeah, instead of having to guess who the best team is we'd know for sure.
+1
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #32
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Going with the sixteen-team tournament example, there are eleven FBS conferences; we'll take their champions and five at larges. No meaning is taken out of the conference schedule, as for the current BCS conferences there are automatically BCS bowl tie-ins. The regular season for non-BCS schools in FBS would actually become MORE meaningful because the winner of the conference would have a fair chance at the national title.

I realize that if any playoff comes about, it will probably be eight teams, but I'm using the sixteen team tournament to make a point that this can work. People would watch it, and it would make money.

i agree, a 16 team tourney offers both full inclusion for every conference and makes sure that the top 5 teams that happened to not win their league (like texas this past year) get included as well. it's called the wetzel plan- this dude named wetzel has been campaigning for this for years. i guess it makes too much sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »