Home

More Legal Trouble for EA (NCAA related)

This is a discussion on More Legal Trouble for EA (NCAA related) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #49
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: More Legal Trouble for EA (NCAA related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I just find it extremely hard to believe that he's going to convince a court that the NCAA conspired with EA.
Well... As it says:

"...intentionally circumvents the prohibitions on utilizing student athletes' names in commercial ventures by allowing gamers to upload entire rosters, which include players' names and other information, directly into the game in a matter of seconds..."

Unless the NCAA claims they weren't aware that this was in the game.

By the way... WTF is up with the link on the right side of the page of that article...

The 9th Annual Masturbate-A-Thon (NSFW)?!?!

I am afraid to click on it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 9

Loser
Douche
Prick
A Hole

All are applicble terms at the moment
Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #51
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

I find it hilarious that he also wants the destruction of all of the NCAA games that have used college players' likenesses.

I read that as burn all used copies in Gamestop/Your Local game store and destroy the new copies before they can be sold. Hilarious, I say again.

Hell Sam, I guess I should just send in all of my old copies of NCAA 2002-2008 and let them be crushed too.

I hope he gets shut down in lower court.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 19

"...intentionally circumvents the prohibitions on utilizing student athletes' names in commercial ventures by allowing gamers to upload entire rosters, which include players' names and other information, directly into the game in a matter of seconds..."

No matter how bad you want to slam Keller, this is the truth. NCAA athletes are amateurs. Sure, get tuition and a lot of other perks most other students don't get, BUT they still are amateurs. Recruiting violations aside, they aren't getting paid to play. NCAA programs make cash off of them as a group, as teams, but the line they are not supposed to cross is to make money off them individually.

We know who these guys are in the games. We either edit the rosters or download the rosters to make the game more real. The NCAA should cut the hypocracy and cut each athlete a check (from royalties like EA pays) when they graduate, or leave school for good. Otherwise, we may lose the ability to edit names in the games, and have no names used in the play-by-play.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #53
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
Why wait till now? Uh... I just answered that.
No, you answered why he didn't do so during college. I guess its just coincidence that he is now bringing the lawsuit about when he's out of professional football all together. Do we really think that had he landed somewhere in the NFL, that he'd be bringing this case to court?

Quote:
And this is hardly about fortune or fame... He doesn't really stand to make much off this... And Fame??? Not sure where you got that one. It's a simple court case where someone thinks they've been wronged.
He's been wronged? The guy is suing EA and the NCAA because of a likeness of him in a videogame. I honestly can't see any reason as to why to do this other than to promote himself, especially given the timing.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #54
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
It's not a weak case... The settlement might be weak, but it's not a weak case.
Thought I'd clarify as to why...

The case isn't weak because all he has to prove is whether or not his likeness is being used... You have player numbers and attributes (and whatever else they use), and specific schools at a very specific time... In other words, who else is the player supposed to be, if not the corresponding real life player?

The settlement would be weak because I'm not sure he can prove that his likeness made that much of a difference in sales.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #55
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

Well if this is the case then ESPN the Magazine, College Sports Magazines, and Sports Illustrated wouldnt be able to sell any of their magazines if they put pictures of student athletes in there. So these companies should also be sued. But hey this jerk is just trying to get money because he sucked it up in the college football world and failed to be able to move on to the NFL. This in no way affected the guy, harmed him, or cause an undue burden on his life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Thought I'd clarify as to why...

The case isn't weak because all he has to prove is whether or not his likeness is being used... You have player numbers and attributes (and whatever else they use), and specific schools at a very specific time... In other words, who else is the player supposed to be, if not the corresponding real life player?

The settlement would be weak because I'm not sure he can prove that his likeness made that much of a difference in sales.
attributes are subjective so they're not facts. player numbers are irrelevant because as someone else previously stated many college teams have multiple players with the same number. also, how can he claim it's his likeness when again as already stated EA rarely gets the hometown correct?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »